Nintendo classic controller not pairing correctly on Android. Registers as "Joycon (R)". Only half the buttons register in Retroarch

TPMJB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is for the Nvidia Shield. I think current version is Android 12.

Not sure what to do, but I bought some NES classic controllers that are bluetooth capable for the Switch. Official Nintendo controller. These pair to the shield just fine, but register as "NES Controller (R)" and only A,B and Start are available. I want to use these with Retroarch, but half the buttons don't work. In Retroarch, the system sees it as a right Joycon.

The product in question is here: https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/nintendo-entertainment-system-controllers/

Paired to the Switch, they of course work. But I hate my Switch and want to play classic games I own in Retroarch. If I have to root the shield, so be it. I've rooted every other android device in my house. I just want a path forward to getting this to work.

Last edited by TPMJB,

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
They register as a joycon because they're designed to work on Switch, even though they're Bluetooth gamepads, but lack most of the functionality of a joycon, except for the buttons.

I've got two Super Nintendo Switch Online Controllers (SFC version), and even though they connect on my PC, they don't work at all, no button gets registered. So I've built my own using a Super Famicon controller and turned it into a device that registers correctly as a Bluetooth gamepad and works perfectly on my Switch and my PC.

TPMJB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They register as a joycon because they're designed to work on Switch, even though they're Bluetooth gamepads, but lack most of the functionality of a joycon, except for the buttons.

I've got two Super Nintendo Switch Online Controllers (SFC version), and even though they connect on my PC, they don't work at all, no button gets registered.
So am I pretty hosed for this? Annoying that I bought official Nintendo OEM and found they're of very little functionality. I could have just bought some 8bitdo controllers as I've heard they work fine.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So am I pretty FUBAR for this? Annoying that I bought official Nintendo OEM and found they're of very little functionality. I could have just bought some 8bitdo controllers as I've heard they work fine.
Not just fine, they work awesomely!

If you're investing -again- on an 8BitDo gamepad, go for the Ultimate Bluetooth one, it has Bluetooth, 2.4 GHz and wired connectivity, also you've got two colors to choose from and you can use them on most devices out there.

TPMJB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not just fine, they work awesomely!

If you're investing -again- on an 8BitDo gamepad, go for the Ultimate Bluetooth one, it has Bluetooth, 2.4 GHz and wired connectivity, also you've got two colors to choose from and you can use them on most devices out there.
I have my PS4 controllers for all other games, I just wanted a small NES controller for my son to play Nintendo like I did when I was his age (two years old lol). If it was basically an SNES controller that'd be perfect. 8bitdo makes ones with control sticks that make zero sense. His hands seem a bit small for a PS4 controller, and those Ultimate Bluetooth controllers look pretty big.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto