Emulator [UNOFFICIAL] Frodo core for Nintendo Wii - Commodore 64 emulation on RetroArch Wii

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
OP
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
First of all, please excuse me if i make a new thread for this, but i think it would be nice to have a new thread for this instead of reliving an very old thread.

Also, i'm pretty sure you'll ask me: why make a new unofficial Frodo core for RA Wii, if there's already an official one?
The answer is simple: the nightly Frodo core for Wii has some problems: there's an annoying buzzing sound in everything (unresolved since v1.9.x and above), and we're forced to use the Wii Classic Controller.

So, i decided to take the situation of the C64 emulation on Wii and bring the latest improvements of Frodo in a stable state.

frodowii.png

This core was compiled using RetroArch Wii v1.7.9 and devkitPPC r29-1, with the libOGC library taken from libretro-toolchains (https://github.com/libretro/libretro-toolchains/blob/master/wiiu.tar.xz)

What's different compared to latest Frodo Libretro Wii core?:

• Based on latest Frodo v4.2 / v4_2.
  • NO MORE annoying buzzing sounds! Play the C64 games as it should be with correct audio!
  • Possibility of changing the Joystick Port used in the games. Also allows multiplayer games, so bring your friends and play!
  • Play with either Wiimote only or with the Wii Classic Controller, like we can do on Commodore 64 VC games.
Loading a game:
First things first, you have to map your Wiimote/Classic Controller keys (Settings > Input > Port 1 Controls)
To load a game:
1. Select Load Content and then load the Commodore 64 game file (.D64, .T64 or .PRG)
2. Once loaded the content and when the COMMODORE 64 BASIC screen appears, open the virtual keyboard (wherever you mapped it, defaults are A on Wiimote and Y on Wii Classic Controller)
3. Then go to PG1, then press SHI and then End. This will enter automatically the required commands for load and start the game automatically: LOAD"*",8,1:RUN

When using the Virtual Keyboard, use the D-Pad for move and select a button, and for press the button/key you want, press 2 on Wiimote or A on Wii Classic Controller.

Joystick configure:
At virtual keyboard: go to PG1, press GUI, then press SELECT (-) on your Wiimote/Wii Classic Controller to control the cursor with D-Pad keys, press Joy, then enable Enable Joy1 and Swap Joy.
Then you will have Joystick 2 (Joy2) control that most games need. In case of use Joy1, switch off Swap Joy.
Save the settings (configurations/cfg) when you are done.

Default Joystick mapping on Frodo Libretro Wii:
(C-64 Wii VC style)

1707669978452.png
1707669988583.png

Remember, Frodo is not very accurate and some games won't work fine, you could try enabling 1541 emulation in GUI Floppy option.

1707668974738.png

1707669249317.png

1707669462427.png

1707669753752.png

1707669599177.png

1707669515386.png

For change the name of the settings file in order for stop conflicting with other RA Wii setups, go here to this thread by @Wiimpathy: https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-one-configuration-file-per-emulator.545488/

Enjoy this core, and see ya next time!

- saulfabreg

Attachments

• frodo_libretro_wii_1.7.9-10022024.zip
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by SaulFabre,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto