Homebrew What's your reason for wanting arm9/arm11 control?

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I like how 90% of the answers on this post says that they want kernel for dynarec, because they don't want to say "piracy", but from a legal point of view, playing old games on emulators are as illegal as downloading pirated 3DS games if you don't own the original game :P

Anyway, personally I want kernel to install games that I own (and that I don't own) on my SD card. Taking my cartridges every time I travel is a pain, and I already lost some DS games because of their sizes, so I don't want that to happen with my 3DS games :/ )

Ripper00420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to quote myself on this subject

People bark and snarl when piracy is mentioned on a game forum for hacking and hombrew???? I believe the actual Nintendo forums are somewhere else people. Stick to review and official Nintendo forums if you don't want to be here. I personally feel that if I pay for a device, then I should be able to make it do what I want. It may be piracy or just some hombrews, but what I do with my device is my business. Unless your going to give me your bank account info, then use that TIGHT pinch you have on your own wallet and use it to hold your mouth shut and keyboard still.

Reactions: Techinicabor

ChaosRipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how 90% of the answers on this post says that they want kernel for dynarec, because they don't want to say "piracy", but from a legal point of view, playing old games on emulators are as illegal as downloading pirated 3DS games if you don't own the original game :P

Anyway, personally I want kernel to install games that I own (and that I don't own) on my SD card. Taking my cartridges every time I travel is a pain, and I already lost some DS games because of their sizes, so I don't want that to happen with my 3DS games :/ )

When I mentioned wanting flawless emulation, I'm speaking in the moral sense. Homebrew/fiddling around with the 3DS itself is already illegal. And I actually want to play the games I own on my 3DS (if only Nintendo didn't remove the GBA slot from the 3DS).

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm not a moral fag, and I'll admit I want 3DS roms! But, I want full speed Snes emulation on a handheld more than 3DS roms. GBA injection would also be pretty kewl!

Arseface_TM

Board Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't really care about the legality bit, but I do believe in supporting things I enjoy. Developers don't get the money for old games any more, even if some other company currently owns the rights.

And yeah, being able to back things up is really nice. I have a DS game(Mario 64 DS) where the connectors are wearing out. I'd love to be able to back up my 3DS games before that happens.

Gregora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to be able to safely update my emunand past 9.5 so I can have access to eshop and be able to update my 3DS XL to the latest firmware without fear of missing out on possible means of accessing the current homebrew (because I like the romhacks) so I can have access to eshop and pokebank.

Honestly, I'm starting to think that maybe the best idea is to just have my o3DS XL as a "legit" handheld and just go with the possibility that the moment Nintendo pulls the plug on the 3DS line, all of the hacks everyone's been saving will be released into the wild because Nintendo no longer cares to patch the 3DS. Which in a sense, happened to the DS since I haven't had to update my R4 in forever.

D

Deleted User

my is very simple- for piracy. I think that it would be cool to play games without clicking on my blue-buttoned sky3ds a million times, just by using CIAs. also, because I wanna play CIA-only games (smilebasic)

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emunand, Dynaric, Region Changing, Plugins, Tools, and piracy sprinkled here and there. For some reason when I pirate/emulate games, the fun isn't as prominent as getting it legally, as I didn't work or earn it to actually get my satisfaction's worth. I'd still pirate but I (and probably only myself) don't see much of a point in missing out on the actual experience. :P

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to ask this question to the community of gbatemp because, it seems when people think of those arms, they think: "omg!! piracy!! :ohnoes:"

well what I want these arms for is more homebrew capabilities and the ability to dump the games I already have on carts and convert them to digital titles so I don't look like a noob carrying a whole bunch of cartages in a case or in my pocket and I don't have to pay $100+ for games I already bought physically...

What's your reason for wanting arm control?
Well, for some people it is piracy, but this is somewhat of an anti-piracy community, as they say "oh no, piracy! smea wouldn't want that!". Personally i feel like we have so many people developing homebrew applications and not as many developing homebrew framework to unlock more functionality for this stuff (at least for stuff above 9.2) (I know there are people working on stuff, but theres way more people writing applications when i feel we need more capability for some of them). Not to mention theres alot more you can do with kernels. (including better emulators, but technically, downloading a rom for it is still to a degree "piracy" (i guess). Either we have hit a dead end in terms of that stuff, gbatemp is treating smea like one of their only gods and treating his anti-piracy policy as some commandment, or something else i can't think of right now. Not to mention gbatemp would probably take anything down if it was directly intended for piracy.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh yeah, full frame ware spoofing

No more stability updates
Just change the number of the frameware and you free to go
Or even ability to custom the update so we can get the cool stuff from it and remove the stability stuff from it.
I would like to see if it would be possible to "spoof" or "trick" the 3ds into downloading and installing your own firmware update (but i don't know the feasibility on that, or if anyone would even know how to do something like that.

Reactions: AtlasFontaine

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would like to see if it would be possible to "spoof" or "trick" the 3ds into downloading and installing your own firmware update (but i don't know the feasibility on that, or if anyone would even know how to do something like that.
Not possible. People suggests that so many times.

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wonder if it would be easier "Jedi mind trick" Nintendo servers into believing we have the latest firmware update when we don't...once it's done and accessible for people with 9.3+...I'll appply that on my 3DS directly...

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder if it would be easier "Jedi mind trick" Nintendo servers into believing we have the latest firmware update when we don't...once it's done and accessible for people with 9.3+...I'll appply that on my 3DS directly...
either that, or someone would have to hack into their servers and put their own update up or something like that. (im not saying i support this due to the illegality of it, but i can't really stop you. I'm just a random user of the internet)

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
either that, or someone would have to hack into their servers and put their own update up or something like that. (im not saying i support this due to the illegality of it, but i can't really stop you. I'm just a random user of the internet)
No and No. You wouldn't need to get into their servers, and you couldn't make your 3DS downgrade like that without breaking the signature.

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh, I don't want to go into Nintendo's servers...I just want the 3DS to send them false information they'll believe as true...Like when Obiwan Kenobi told the stormtroopers that those weren't the droids they were looking for, I'd like for my 3ds to tell Nintendo's servers "this is the latest firmware, move along, nothing to see there"...disquising my 9.93DS as a 10.3 one...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle