[Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS)

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by samiam144, Jun 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada

Notice

THIS TUTORIAL IS OUTDATED !!! PLEASE FIND ANOTHER GUIDE. DO NOT USE RxTOOLS

There have been many advances in the 3DS hacking scene that go beyond the scope of this guide. Since rxTools is no longer being developed and is severely outdated as of this writing, I strongly urge you to stop using this guide and follow Plailect's guide instead (CLICK HERE)! If you need help, please search the forums first. If you cannot find any answers to your questions, feel free to ask here or in a related thread.

Update on November 2, 2016:
    In layman's terms, a new game update for Animal Crossing New Leaf cannot be launched through rxTools due to a new requirement that rxTools does not fulfill. It looks like future games and updates will also have this requirement, so it is highly recommended that you update to another CFW like Luma3DS, which is kept up-to-date and has no issues with this new requirement.

Old guide in case anyone needs to refer to it. Some links may be dead.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Cyan, May 10, 2017
  2. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

GBAtemp Patron
    gudenau is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    This is a nice guide, although I would not have put the links in instead of a guide.

3. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Thanks! I understand what you mean, but I feel like it will look very cluttered if I put every single instruction on here. I find that the guides that are linked are very detailed already so there's no use repeating it here. This is mostly for people who are confused about the steps and order of things :)

4. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    Cool, figured all this stuff out on my own a few days ago (at least the applicable chunks to my setup) but still nice to have it all in one spot.

5. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    I know, it's a bit late xD I compiled everything here because I noticed there are some users that are confused about certain things and I wanted to help clear the confusion

6. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    So let's say that I have a O3DS in 4.X.
    Should I update it to 9.2 for better compatibility with games?

And also, since I want to ditch Gateway entirely from this 3DS, all I need to do is simply switch to Patched rxTools so I can also play DSi/GBA games, right?

7. Korma

Korma Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I have an 9.8 gateway emunand with my 9.2 sysnand. If i downgrade to 4.x, will I be able to dualboot cfw and my emunand?

8. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    With emunand, you have almost complete compatibility with games, so there is no need to upgrade :) If you do, and decide to downgrade again (or restore your 4.x backup), you may have a problem with some .3ds rom saves being incompatible. CIA's should have no problem though

And yes, you can simply stop using GW and just launch rxtools, all your cia's, saves, NNID, etc. from gateway will be available through rxtools since they use the same emunand. Just keep in mind that you can only launch one rxtools.dat for either the GBA/DSi version or the SSB4/MH4U version. A way around this would be to get the homebrew cia "organiz3d", and put both rxtools.dat (AGB/TWL and Smash/MH4U versions) on your sd card with different names. This way, you can use Organiz3d to rename whichever rxtools.dat you want to boot next. It may be a bit tedious, but it should get the job done.

You can, but you can already do that at 9.2 sysnand! you can put the rxtools files on your sd card alongside your gateway's launcher.dat and boot both of them through the browser. But you probably already knew that lol. On 4.x, you can have one boot from MSET, and the other through the browser. Personally, I use GW MSET and launch rxtools through the browser

Last edited by samiam144, Jun 17, 2015
    ShadowOne333 likes this.
  9. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    So rxTools emunand is the same as Gateway's?
    Great!

I have no interest in installing SSB4 nor MH4U in my O3DS, so I guess I am fine without that one, I prefer the GBA/DSi version.
    Would you mind giving me a link or such so I can start out with this?

One last question, will I be able to launch rxTools emuNAND with MSET on 4.XU and still be able to boot AGB/TWL games?

10. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    This tutorial is complete already (I hope), so all you have to do is start at step 1 in the gateway users section, then step 2, then the DSi/GBA/NES/etc. support section. Be sure to install the patched AGB_FIRM on both SYSNAND and EMUNAND. To install it on sysnand, load your gateway menu by holding L when you launch the exploit, then hold B at the first option, and it should say "Load gateway mode in sysnand" or something to that effect.

EDIT: For your last question: You absolutely can, but if you run a DSi game then you will have to reinstall MSET, either with your bluecard, OR the code.bin (for when you sell your gateway, if you do)

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  11. Korma

Korma Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    So would it be possible to:
    • launch gateway mode from my sysnand via browser
    • install the old version browser on my emunand
    • from gateway mode, boot into rx cfw
    • play ds and gba games after patching
    In that order.

12. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Ah, no. You would have to boot from sysnand everytime. I don't think the coding works when trying to boot from emunand.

13. Korma

Korma Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Oh right, I forgot spider hacks don't always work in emunand. So for gateway I would just launch the gateway launcher, and for rxtools I would launch the rx website correct?

14. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Yup, only from sysnand!

15. Korma

Korma Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Alright thanks, I know what I'm doing tonight!

samiam144 likes this.
  16. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Quick update:

Tutorial was updated to include instructions for 2DS and Classic/XL 3DS users; Downgrading is not required, cubic ninja is not required, gateway is not required.

Of course, if you have either gateway or cubic ninja, it would be much easier and faster.

17. isin13

isin13 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2010
    United States

I bet you thought you had gotten rid of me, so i am trying to do step 3a number 9, i drag and drop the file, Winimage opens, but it does not open the file, i even tried making it so that the file opens with Winimage but a blank Winimage screen pops up, any ideas? thanks again. Just to be clear i get up to step 9 just fine, all the files are there, just that winimage wont open up the "emuNAND.fat16.bin.out" file. Also when i try opening the file from inside winimage it tells me its not the right type of file.

18. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Someone else just had this issue, can you check it your "emuNAND.fat16.bin.out" file is 0kb? If so, read this: http://gbatemp.net/threads/rxtools-with-signatures-patched-out.390607/page-67#post-5540535

You need Python: https://www.python.org/downloads/
    and you need to put this .py file in the FBI folder: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...t-the-fat16-partition-from-nand-dumps.380101/

Then run the command

Also to be clear, you drag emuNAND.fat16.bin.out in the program, not on the .exe. I might not have worded it right

19. isin13

isin13 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2010
    United States
    yea my file is 0kb
    this might sound dumb, i downloaded the file, put it into the fbi folder and everything but i dont understand what he means by "open a windows cmd in the FBI injection folder" , i usually go to run then cmd.

20. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Hold shift and right-click the FBI Injector folder, then click "open command window here"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.