Sony reaffirms that they do NOT plan to create a Vita successor

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 9, 2017.

1. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    My point had nothing to do with that to begin with x.x. I was just talking about the A9. I'm fully aware that the GPU is superior to the S2. I was just saying that such a CPU isn't really top-tier smartphone tech when it was made.

2. DJPlace

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    shit... i'm saying a lot of things wrong today... but meh don't care.

3. gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    Eh, worry not, it's something I see many use, it's just my opinion on it.

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    And my point is that it was - it was downclocked because the games didn't need raw integer processing power from the CPU, they needed a multicore setup for multitasking and parallelism. If Sony wanted to, they could make the Vita run at 2GHz all day everyday, but that'd be pointless and it'd kill battery life. They focused on the GPU, that's what matters in gaming. If full clock didn't provide any benefit in-game then it was a detriment, every piece of dedicated hardware does this.

5. gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    Then I have an idea - let's make a PC with an i7-7700K, only we will make it so it cannot go above 1GHz, and the clock cannot be changed. Is it still high end? I wouldn't say so.

Last edited by gnmmarechal, Nov 10, 2017
  6. BARNWEY

BARNWEY Legen-wait for it-dary

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    That's true... However, I feel it won't do so hot now because Nintendo has started to address the more mature market of gaming, instead of being family friendly. Couple that with it's exclusive titles and the fact that the Switch can plug into a TV, and that makes the Switch a formidable foe. Not to mention, if Sony made a console to compete with the Switch, it would create direct competition between it and the PS4 (due to it needing higher specs than the PS3 to compete with the Switch.) Overall, it just seems like it would be too much work for something that might have little turn-out at this point...

Xzi likes this.
  7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's kind of exactly what the PS4/Xbox One are, except with AMD hardware. Welcome to the world of dedicated platforms. Even with those restrictions in place the Vita was unmatched in terms of real-life performance - polycounts in games and picture quality blew contemporary handsets away.

Xzi likes this.
  8. Lord M

Lord M GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 31, 2014
    Italy
    PSP still the best and my fav portable console.
    Have the best d-pad for fightning games like Tekken among portable devices.

Sure, if someday i'll put my hands on Razer Edge Pro, it'll be my almost-definitive portable device for gaming.

9. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Yeah, that's one of the good things about psp models 2000 on up, having tv out support. pstv shouldn't even exist.

10. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    the way that the psp 2000 was designed made it cumbersome to play on the tv (the d sub cable being towards the player). if it were towards the tv, that would be fine. as for the vita/pstv, I kinda prefer playing it with the ds4 since you don't have any cables getting in the way.

Last edited by godreborn, Nov 10, 2017
  11. gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    I mean, I wouldn't call the PS4 or X1 high end either tbh.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I actually liked that it was at the bottom. Having cables at the top bothers me quite a bit. The PSP video out cable didn't bother me. I had a terrible TV at the time though, so I never played it that way much.

12. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    For a portable system, the Vita was definitely on the higher end of things. Especially for the time.

Your examples and ideas are weird.

13. gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    Again, I was talking about the comparison to smartphones. Not the actual competitors of the Vita , which are rather underpowered compared to that console.[/QUOTE]

14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Let me put it this way - we're talking about hardware, and the hardware was high end. Now, the clock was lower than stock, and the reason for that was that the device was dedicated to one purpose and one purpose only, playing video games, and that purpose was determined not to require full stock clock. To use your PC parallel, imagine that you are an engineer and you have your gaming PC project under your desk - it has great specs, and among those specs there's a weird expansion card in one of the PCI slots. It doesn't really improve gameplay at all, it just sits there and eats, say, 50 watts out of the total of 500 watts you're supplying to the rig. That's cool, it doesn't matter, you're hooked into the mains. Now, imagine that you have to make that PC capable of running on a battery - that card is cutting into your battery life significantly. Do you disable the card that does nothing for you or do you lose an hour of battery life? To Sony extended battery life was more important than resources that are not used in gameplay, therefore they lowered the clock. The Vita hardware is still high-end, it didn't magically become something else, it was merely custom-tailored to a specific purpose. In fact, even when downclocked, it was still competitive if not better than most handsets on the market. Do you understand now?

15. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Somewhere in the south
    Assholes.
    They killed my favorite console, that's enough reason to hate Sony.

16. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    [/QUOTE]

Then talking about a CPU processor does nothing for your argument. Foxi has it pretty much covered.. But it's a dedicated game system vs the phone. Which did so much more.. If the Vita was fully capable of handling the phone aspect with the dedicated gaming aspect, then the Vita would have been the Xperia Play all over again. Or in other words an abysmal failure.

17. gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    I understand where you are coming from, but I think it sounds rather... Misleading, perhaps? To call it high-end when it is... Artificially limited?... Eh.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Then talking about a CPU processor does nothing for your argument. Foxi has it pretty much covered.. But it's a dedicated game system vs the phone. Which did so much more.. If the Vita was fully capable of handling the phone aspect with the dedicated gaming aspect, then the Vita would have been the Xperia Play all over again. Or in other words an abysmal failure.[/QUOTE]
    Uh, it was not a great success regardless of that *cries in PS Vita*

18. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Vita has bluetooth. I meant Sony can just integrate PSTV into Vita thus make a dock to transfer Vita to TV via HDMI. You can use your PS3 controller to play wirelessly. It's not as cool Switch Joycon design, but it would have save the Vita from the mess it has been in reality. So pretty much Sony wasted the resource

Last edited by tivu100, Nov 10, 2017
  19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    There are no physical connections from the graphics output of a standard Vita to any of the connectors as was initially assumed due to the presence of the mystery dock. The only way to get HDMI output out of the system is rewiring it, a standard Vita cannot be made into a PSTV with just software. Releasing a dock for the system and rolling out a system update would be insufficient, unfortunately.

20. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 17, 2017
    United States
    I bought a vita just for that oled screen. I wanted to see what the technology looked like as before that time I never seen an oled.
    It did have this weird black splotch problem on dark and black scenes. Sony really cheaped out on their vita oleds, Im guessing to save costs as it is a handheld. Its still much better than the new 3ds lcd ips panel.