Sony to end support for the PlayStation Store on PS3, PSP, Vita

37DF3A8F-6F9A-489A-BE4E-64CA67E8604F.jpeg

After rumors began brewing that Sony might finally put an end to PlayStation Store access on some of its older systems, the company has finally confirmed what some fans feared. Starting later this year, support for the PlayStation Store on the PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, and PlayStation Portable will be ending. As of today, they’ve also shut down the old web store that allowed customers to purchase games for those platforms on their computer. This decision comes as a result of Sony wanting to unify and focus on their more modern and current systems: the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. The PSP and PS3’s store access will be the first to go, on July 2, 2021, with the Vita to follow shortly after on August 27th. Players will still be able to download their already purchased games even after those dates, but once July and August rolls around, any digital games for those platforms will become unavailable to buy.

:arrow: Source

Elvasat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Well, we will just have to use emulators then. Hopefully someone figures out how to use internet on the emulator and play online as well.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Why is the theme from Pirates of the Caribbean starting to play?

Welp, time to download and back up as many titles as one can before the PS Store for these systems bites the dust.

You’ll still be able to redownload purchases, for now at least. You just wont be able to make the initial purchase.

D

Deleted User

This is why I was mostly against digital gaming from the beginning. If you have the disc you can always play the game but if you need to redownload a digital game for some reason it's not necessarily permanent.

Sure you can maybe still access it on a new console but what if I don't have the desire to buy that console? I have a gaming PC and would only want a PS5 for exclusives, and they seem to be more open minded about putting their exclusives on PC. So I won't be buying a PS5 anytime soon. Maybe never if games like God of War come to PC, I doubt that will happen but you never know. Backwards compatibility is a good thing but I should never be required to buy a new console to play my old game from the previous console.

Also all 3 of these stores none of their game libraries are compatible with either PS4 or PS5, so pretty much screwed.

Last edited by ,

Elvasat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
This is why I was mostly against digital gaming from the beginning. If you have the disc you can always play the game but if you need to redownload a digital game for some reason it's not necessarily permanent.

Sure you can maybe still access it on a new console but what if I don't have the desire to buy that console? I have a gaming PC and would only want a PS5 for exclusives, and they seem to be more open minded about putting their exclusives on PC. So I won't be buying a PS5 anytime soon. Maybe never if games like God of War come to PC, I doubt that will happen but you never know.

This is very problematic for games that have DLCs.

D

Deleted User

Good thing all 3 of those platforms were hacked to pieces, and it's pretty easy to find pretty much every digital game online.

I think it's admirable to be against pirating new games, but just plain stupid to be against pirating old games that you have little or no chance of playing anywhere else.

Reactions: RemnantKnight56

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be honest--both my Vita and PS3 have been yarr'd for quite a long time...so it doesn't bother me. It's always sad to see games go, especially at that magnitude, but I'd feel safe in saying that after so many years, they've been mostly backed up
I'll trade you your vita for a wii

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
And exactly as I expected when this was just a rumor, you can still download your purchases just fine, so all the idiots doomsaying and telling you to "QUICK DOWNLOAD ALL YOUR GAMES BEFORE THEY'RE GONE FOR GOOD!!!!" just wasted a whole lot of time and bandwidth for no reason.

So long as they allow you to continue downloading your purchases, I don't really care if they close the digital store personally. I've already played whatever PS3/PSP/Vita games I've wanted to play, so it's no great loss to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think