Sony working on PC VR support for PSVR2

96388_232_psvr2-pc-support-coming-in-2024-sony-currently-experimenting-with-cross-platform-vr.png

Good news for PlayStation VR 2 owners. Sony, in an update on their PlayStation Blog, have confirmed that they are working on PC VR support for the headset, which is officially only currently supported on the PlayStation 5 console.

In the press update, they mention that testing is currently ongoing and that they hope to offer the functionality at some point this year.

PlayStation Blog said:
Also, we’re pleased to share that we are currently testing the ability for PS VR2 players to access additional games on PC to offer even more game variety in addition to the PS VR2 titles available through PS5. We hope to make this support available in 2024, so stay tuned for more updates.

However, details are vague and we have no details on how the connection will be made, whether it be a direct tether to a compatible VR capable PC or a Quest-like solution with an app like Steam Link perhaps on its way to the PlayStation Store. While homebrew efforts have been made to get the PSVR2 working on PC, various hurdles meant that additional hardware was necessary for that solution so it remains unseen as to how Sony will handle system compatibility.

:arrow: Source

Jmdaemon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey I'm excited. Not much development in vr headsets right now, aside from the sony vr we had the quest who I don't want to funnel money into anymore, and apple, who will never get my money.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
That won't going to happen because if they were to make a portal/ launcher for VR, making one to launch their standard PC games would have much higher priority. Let's say if they did the PC launcher perhaps there's a possibility because they could start selling there instead of taking cuts from other store fronts.
You always need to take cuts from other stores even if you have your own portal, because most Steamheads will refuse to buy from other stores. So not releasing on Steam even if you have your own store costs you money. 70% of a sale on Steam is worth more than 100% of a sale that isn't made on your own portal. EPIC is the only one who hasn't learned that lesson, because they think they can own their own store on all platforms and keep 100% of every sale. And Actizzard is big enough and has enough must-haves to get away with it.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem is that even the Meta Quest 3 is like a hundred bucks cheaper. Game compatibility is gonna be an issue as I think most of PC VR games run on the Quest 2 and or 3? And some haven't been updated in a while.
Ummm.. what? PCVR games run on the PC. That is a separate thing from VR made to RUN ON the Quest. PCVR games will run on any headset with compatible controls and drivers. The headset is nothing more than a screen and interface at that point.

EDIT: But speaking of running things ON the Quest... that is something PSVR2 is incapable of doing. At all. I can play Switch games on my Quest, and it's not entirely terrible. Would still rather play via virtual desktop since my pc is lightyears more powerful, though.
why tf would i need VR at all. VR shoud die already....
If you don't care about VR, wtf are are you in this thread? Just hopelessly seeking attention?

Last edited by urherenow,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed