Sony working on PC VR support for PSVR2

96388_232_psvr2-pc-support-coming-in-2024-sony-currently-experimenting-with-cross-platform-vr.png

Good news for PlayStation VR 2 owners. Sony, in an update on their PlayStation Blog, have confirmed that they are working on PC VR support for the headset, which is officially only currently supported on the PlayStation 5 console.

In the press update, they mention that testing is currently ongoing and that they hope to offer the functionality at some point this year.

PlayStation Blog said:
Also, we’re pleased to share that we are currently testing the ability for PS VR2 players to access additional games on PC to offer even more game variety in addition to the PS VR2 titles available through PS5. We hope to make this support available in 2024, so stay tuned for more updates.

However, details are vague and we have no details on how the connection will be made, whether it be a direct tether to a compatible VR capable PC or a Quest-like solution with an app like Steam Link perhaps on its way to the PlayStation Store. While homebrew efforts have been made to get the PSVR2 working on PC, various hurdles meant that additional hardware was necessary for that solution so it remains unseen as to how Sony will handle system compatibility.

:arrow: Source

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The amount of disappointment people thinking this would work directly with PC.
Technically not feasible. The display port simply does not exist on PC unless you have a special type of GPU.

Additional hardware would be required costing as much as PS5 console. So how many people willing to spend that?
Why do people keep saying this? Because the 3rd party folks working on the Steam driver deem it so? Does the USB C port in front of the PS5 have thunderbolt, or any kind of video? No it doesn't, to my knowledge.

EDIT: Uhh... I stand corrected. Where have I been? "PS5 as every console has USB-C Display Port Alt Mode baked into the hardware". To be fair, I've only done the initial setup on the PSVR2, and I've still played just about 45 minutes of Horizon (the release game, not the new VR one... even though I own it...). Even still, the quest doesn't require any hardware. Just an app and drivers. I see no reason why Sony can't do the same. The iVRy driver folk simply don't know the source code or internals well enough to think otherwise.

This is why I'm certain it will be a Steam Link option like the existing one on Quest. Whether it will be limited to VR games only is another debate.
No. It really isn't a debate. If we have steam, we have Virtual Desktop. Other than being tied to a PC (wirelessly or not), the sky is the limit.

Apple vision pro seems a better headset imo. But are those headsets comfortable to use for a long time?
Better for what, exactly? It doesn't do VR games at all. Doesn't have controllers suitable for VR. You're limited to sideloading iOS apps. It's just another iOS device strapped to your face.

Last edited by urherenow,

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Assuming they make the PSVR2 useful and actually make it compatible with PCs rather than the PS5 steam link route since Sony isn't exactly known for accepting alternative storefronts on their devices, and i think they're slowly realising that people don't want to buy a PS5 when they already have a proper PC.

For the few people that might own it, how's the picture, i've heard of the "Mura" effect but is it easily forgetable? Is it blurry or pretty sharp? Any chromatic aberration because of the lens?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming they make the PSVR2 useful and actually make it compatible with PCs rather than the PS5 steam link route since Sony isn't exactly known for accepting alternative storefronts on their devices, and i think they're slowly realising that people don't want to buy a PS5 when they already have a proper PC.

For the few people that might own it, how's the picture, i've heard of the "Mura" effect but is it easily forgetable? Is it blurry or pretty sharp? Any chromatic aberration because of the lens?
I personally have still not actually played a game on mine. I just did the setup. The eye tracking during setup is sweet. I own the VR Horizon Game, and bought the Ghostbusters game and have it installed... but haven't actually played it yet. I spend most of my time at home on my PC, and any gaming time away from home is on my Switch. I barely ever used my PS4 either. My PS3 gets used by my wife, because it has CFW and I have the Japanese Amazon prime video on it. My current main for VR is the Quest 3. Of which I'm playing around with Yuzu for games. Played several PCVR games including Half Life Alyx and Skyrim on the Quest 2... and I can honestly say the PSVR2 is a good deal more crisp than that.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Problem is that even the Meta Quest 3 is like a hundred bucks cheaper. Game compatibility is gonna be an issue as I think most of PC VR games run on the Quest 2 and or 3? And some haven't been updated in a while.

N10A

Her stare burns...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem is that even the Meta Quest 3 is like a hundred bucks cheaper. Game compatibility is gonna be an issue as I think most of PC VR games run on the Quest 2 and or 3? And some haven't been updated in a while.
The controllers have all the buttons you would need so as long as they support openxr properly it should work with most things.
That being said q3 is definitely a better value overall as you get wireless and standalone capabilities. Really the only major things that psvr2 has over the quest 3 is eye tracking and visual quality (although resolution and fov are comparable).
I can see some vrc players being into it but I think most should opt for quest 3 for general pcvr usage.

Reactions: raxadian

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The controllers have all the buttons you would need so as long as they support openxr properly it should work with most things.
That being said q3 is definitely a better value overall as you get wireless and standalone capabilities. Really the only major things that psvr2 has over the quest 3 is eye tracking and visual quality (although resolution and fov are comparable).
I can see some vrc players being into it but I think most should opt for quest 3 for general pcvr usage.

Most VR games in PC are made with the Meta Quest 2 or 3 in mind. Very few have a High Quality mode that justifies getting something better that the Meta Quest 3.

Also the fact the Meta Quest 3 can be used without a computer is quite practical.

Sony will probably put effort into this but the price and the need of a computer compared to the Quest 3 is a problem.

If they do a price cut, that's different.

Like most people with a Quest 3 won't buy the thing because why bother?

Maybe people stuck with an old VR headset will if like they get have a decent PC and some extra money.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Most VR games in PC are made with the Meta Quest 2 or 3 in mind. Very few have a High Quality mode that justifies getting something better that the Meta Quest 3.

Also the fact the Meta Quest 3 can be used without a computer is quite practical.

Sony will probably put effort into this but the price and the need of a computer compared to the Quest 3 is a problem.

Maybe people stuck with an old VR headset will if like they get have a decent PC and some extra money.
People misunderstood Sony's intentions, this move is for the folks who already in the Playstation ecosystem not the other way around.

There's no gain expanding their headset to PC since Quest 3 would murder them.

Reactions: raxadian

Gronbar

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Poland
Too late.
Post automatically merged:

Why do people keep saying this? Because the 3rd party folks working on the Steam driver deem it so? Does the USB C port in front of the PS5 have thunderbolt, or any kind of video? No it doesn't, to my knowledge.

EDIT: Uhh... I stand corrected. Where have I been? "PS5 as every console has USB-C Display Port Alt Mode baked into the hardware". To be fair, I've only done the initial setup on the PSVR2, and I've still played just about 45 minutes of Horizon (the release game, not the new VR one... even though I own it...). Even still, the quest doesn't require any hardware. Just an app and drivers. I see no reason why Sony can't do the same. The iVRy driver folk simply don't know the source code or internals well enough to think otherwise.

No. It really isn't a debate. If we have steam, we have Virtual Desktop. Other than being tied to a PC (wirelessly or not), the sky is the limit.

Better for what, exactly? It doesn't do VR games at all. Doesn't have controllers suitable for VR. You're limited to sideloading iOS apps. It's just another iOS device strapped to your face.
Front PS5 USB-C is 10gbps with DisplayPort alternate mode like every cheap AMD laptop.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
This makes a lot of sense. What doesn't make sense is having a VR headset for each platform. Our cupboards will be full of old VR headsets one day, next to our plastic guitars and drum kits.

People misunderstood Sony's intentions, this move is for the folks who already in the Playstation ecosystem not the other way around.

There's no gain expanding their headset to PC since Quest 3 would murder them.
If enough PSVR users start buying PSVR games through the PC PSVR portal, then VR game devs will start porting their VR games to PC PSVR. So it's the same difference. People buying the same VR game through the PC PSVR portal or the Quest portal or through Steam, what difference does it make, it's the exact same platform and the exact same game.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Our cupboards will be full of old VR headsets one day

Overall due to how expensive they are most people sell them if they are not using them, even getting 50% the price they have if brand new is still money and VR games tend to get updated to support newer VR thingies anyway.

Part of the reason Sony didn't go as well with this was the refusal to make the VR games of the PS4 compatible with it. That means the number of VR games the thing can use became limited.

Meanwhile a Quest 2 and 3 can use almost every VR game for PC.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
This makes a lot of sense. What doesn't make sense is having a VR headset for each platform. Our cupboards will be full of old VR headsets one day, next to our plastic guitars and drum kits.

If enough PSVR users start buying PSVR games through the PC PSVR portal, then VR game devs will start porting their VR games to PC PSVR. So it's the same difference. People buying the same VR game through the PC PSVR portal or the Quest portal or through Steam, what difference does it make, it's the exact same platform and the exact same game.
That won't going to happen because if they were to make a portal/ launcher for VR, making one to launch their standard PC games would have much higher priority. Let's say if they did the PC launcher perhaps there's a possibility because they could start selling there instead of taking cuts from other store fronts.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm surprised. Doesn't make a whole lot of business sense for Sony to enable people to play games outside of their ecosystem. They probably don't make much profit on the PSVR to begin with and most of the profit comes from people buying games for it.
Regardless, this is good news.

why tf would i need VR at all. VR shoud die already....
VR is the future. You just can't get this kind of immersion with a conventional screen and controls.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
They are already porting games to PC and this thing is not selling well so why not?
That surprised me as well considering Sony has a history of publicly disliking other platforms. At one point they said "we don't support crossplay because PS is the best", implying that everyone should just play on PS because other platforms are garbage and not worth bothering with.
I guess things have changed a lot at Sony since that time, but it still surprises me every time they do something that is good for consumers (except when it is good for their bottom line)

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
They are already porting games to PC and this thing is not selling well so why not?
The price of the PSVR2 with whatever additional hardware required to make it run on PC would be the determining factor. I doubt they could get the headset cheaper because like Meta they take a hit in losses in hopes of making that up in game sales. They cannot subsidize the cost on PC with the VR library they have at least not at the moment. They would be screwed big time. I mean you can literally count the good VR games on your fingers and most of them isn't even published by them.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I think the extra hardware will just be a cable to connect to the PC and the rest will be software based. Like any modern computer has Bluetooth after all.

N10A

Her stare burns...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

idk what you mean by a high quality mode but most pcvr games have multiple graphics options similar to their flatscreen counterparts. That and because of the way that the steamvr compositor works you can run any game at basically any resolution. I was running vrchat at 512x512 per eye laft night just for kicks and all you have to do is move a slider.
why tf would i need VR at all. VR shoud die already....
If it's not something you're interested in just don't buy it? Just let us have our fun, gaming's just a hobby, you don't need to buy into every new hardware trend.
I don't judge people for not liking vr but this post just comes across as rage bait.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch