Sony allegedly reduces PSVR 2 sales projections as pre-orders disappoint [debunked]

FnxXrdxaUAA4CBH.jpg

Sony Group Corp. has drastically reduced their sales projections for the upcoming PSVR 2 after pre-order numbers fail to meet expectations according to an article posted on Bloomberg.

The article reads that due to lower than expected pre-orders for the second generation PlayStation VR headset, Sony has reduced forecasted projections for this quarter from 2 million to 1 million units.

Initially pre-orders via PlayStation Direct were only available to those who had registered interest and received a unique pre-order link, but after some time this was changed and PSVR 2 pre-orders were open to all on the site which may give some truth to the article.

Have you pre-ordered or do you have any intention to purchase the upcoming PSVR2? What factors play into your decision? Let us know in the comments below.

:arrow: Source

Update:

Sony have refuted the claims according to Games Industry.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by shaunj66,
Reactions: Mama Looigi

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the headset's specs are impressive but whyyyyy is it five hundred fifty dollars? It costs $150 more than the original psvr when hype for VR is at an all-time low and the Quest 2 plays more titles at a lower price. Obviously the specs are better than the Quest 2 and the graphics will look better coming out of a of PS5 but theres really not much going for this thing

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Again $ony proved me right when i say they are NOT "for the players" they are only "for the money".

For a few reasons.
1, You dont make a peripheral more expensive than the main unit.
2, backwards compatibility. There are so many PSVR games and none of them will work with PSVR2. Really? How can you keep using "for the players" without bsckwards compatibility?
3, they say they have a tonn of games. How many are crap games and how many good worthy games? Maybe 3 good ones.
4, is PSVR2 better than PC VR? It better have 4k each eye, the PCs VR does.
5, you made the PS5 so hard to get, of course not everyone will get PSVR2 as not everyone has a PS5 yet.
6, you hyped up the PS5 and it doesn't meat your own expectations so the PSVR2 will do the same like everything else you release.
7, look at your edge controller. Worse battery life than original controller, 3x the price. Same as PSVR2. its what 2x to 3x the PSVR in price.
8, with all you did in the past and all your lies, people remember. And your history of first month problems nobody will get one, we will wait and see what the reviewers and fanboys say first.

I also was going to preorder till i heard the price.
Now i think ill wait for a sale.
I got PSVR if i want to play VR games.
There is only 3 games im interested in on PSVR2 and they can wait. Not that interested.
When its cheaper than the console then lll think about it.

Reactions: issayloki

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since Sony would rather go out of business than open up it's peripherals to other platforms, I have negative interest in the ps vr2. The original was decidedly low res, but it had the best latency response of any VR headset I've used.

But as I don't have a ps4, the only game where I'd feel warranted for a VR headset, is half life alyx (self admitted half life fanboy). Since I know I can't use it for steam, I have no lasting use for it, full stop.

Reactions: NakedFaerie

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But unlike the Vita there'll be no thriving homebrew scene a decade into PSVR2's future.
A decade? Probably not, because better things will be available by then. But the only homebrew required is drivers to make the sucker work with Steam or OpenVR.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh look. Another Bloomberg article doggin on Sony/PS. It doesn't even really make a whole lot of sense.

"The company halved its forecast for shipments of the PSVR2, which is set for a Feb. 22 release, this quarter to about a million units, said people familiar with its deliberations. Sony had previously aimed to have 2 million headsets ready for the launch quarter and leverage its second-generation headset to drive user growth and adoption for VR."

and

"Sony halves forecast for this quarter from 2 million to 1 million units. Plans to ship around 1.5 million units between this April and March next year."

For starters, they have their months backwards. lol. But okay. So according to Bloomberg they halved the quarter forcast from 2 million to 1 million. It's supposed to be 1 million on launch, but then another 1.5 million "between April and March". That's 2.5 million within 1-2 months of launch. That's not halfing the quarter 2 million forcast.

Outside of it being just more typical anti-Sony Bloomberg nonsense that doesn't even add up, Sony has denied the claims. I'll take Sony's side on this one due to Bloombergs track record of trash talking PlayStation.

Edit: Seems I couldn't read this morning. It clearly says "this April and March next year"

Last edited by RedColoredStars,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh look. Another Bloomberg article doggin on Sony/PS. It doesn't even really make a whole lot of sense.

"The company halved its forecast for shipments of the PSVR2, which is set for a Feb. 22 release, this quarter to about a million units, said people familiar with its deliberations. Sony had previously aimed to have 2 million headsets ready for the launch quarter and leverage its second-generation headset to drive user growth and adoption for VR."

and

"Sony halves forecast for this quarter from 2 million to 1 million units. Plans to ship around 1.5 million units between this April and March next year."

For starters, they have their months backwards. lol. But okay. So according to Bloomberg they halved the quarter forcast from 2 million to 1 million. It's supposed to be 1 million on launch, but then another 1.5 million "between April and March". That's 2.5 million within 1-2 months of launch. That's not halfing the quarter 2 million forcast.

Outside of it being just more typical anti-Sony Bloomberg nonsense that doesn't even add up, Sony has denied the claims. I'll take Sony's side on this one due to Bloombergs track record of trash talking PlayStation.

Atleast the information is probably correctly on the fact Sony cut production, the price tag is higher than a regular PS5.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

No, they don't have their months backwards. They talk about 1.5 million units sold between this April (2023) and March next year (2024)

Reactions: RedColoredStars

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My prediction is that Sony will give less first party support to PSVR2 than they did the Vita.
That's guaranteed. They definitely deny they're dropping VR2 also, but will drastically pull back on development/support.

So instead of 3 games, they'll only make 1 or 2 s/

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I very much doubt that their sales projections are disappointing - if anything, their production capacity is insufficient to meet demand. Here in the UK you can *only* order one via PlayStation Direct, they’re *not* planning a retail rollout in the foreseeable future. There’s a lot of hubbub about the set and interest is there. The only reason why I’m skeptical about it is the wired connection - Quest 2 is looking mighty appealing with wireless functionality, the ability to tether to a gaming PC and a lower price point.

Reactions: Kioku

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, they don't have their months backwards. They talk about 1.5 million units sold between this April (2023) and March next year (2024)

Sheesh. That's what I get for trying to read before I'm heading out to go to the doc. Been not feeling good for a couple weeks but progressively worse. Got a prescription today for a sinus infection. My bad.

Trojaner

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm one of the People who don't need this VR. First the Motion Sickness i got when tested the 1st one and secondly i hate to wear such nonsense on my Head. Prefer the good old Screen way to play and enjoy games. Not to forget that i'm not interested in the most games which come or will get the support for it.

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
But unlike the Vita there'll be no thriving homebrew scene a decade into PSVR2's future.
Honestly, at this point an argument could be made that the Vita is better for Sony US behaving like a deadbeat parent. Not for handhelds and gaming in general, mind you - just for this specific device.

Reactions: duwen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here