Sony lays off around 900 PlayStation employees; and reportedly cancels live-service 'Twisted Metal' game

sony.jpg

Two months in 2024 and the video game industry is facing another round of major layoffs. This time, Sony has announced that it is laying off about 8% or about 900 people across its global PlayStation workforce. This affects PlayStation studios such as Insomniac, Naughty Dog and Guerrilla,. Most significantly, PlayStation Studios’ London Studio will close in its entirety.

As a result of those lay-offs, it is not surprising that projects that were in development have been cancelled. According to Bloomberg's Jason Schreier, this includes a Twisted Metal live-service game that was in development at UK-based studio Firesprite.

:arrow: SOURCE

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Karmic retribution for the gutting and dissolution of Japan Studio. I only hope some of the startups that came out of that will succeed.

tsam2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Can live service games be played offline for a single player mode?

Maybe it is, but online-only games are eventually going to become unplayable just like MAG was.

Holy crap. I remember selling this game to a retail shop. The employee told me that they don't accept online only games, but I told him that on their site they have a list with games that they buy second hand - and guess what MAG was in it. The best bargain i've gotten, I felt like selling a box with rocks.

Reactions: Kioku and Marc_LFD

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Firesprite? That's the new Psygnosis or "Studio Liverpool." They got thrown out by Sony again? Man...
I guess Sony really is not interested in new WipEout games.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I typically will take any opportunity to celebrate some schadenfreude on Sony, I am inclined to feel empathy for the affected employees.

Unless they were executive level staff; not a single one deserves any less than life in prison.

Tri-Z

Tri z
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's not going to hurt the company as a whole at all. it's just regular people getting fucked over by the execs who'll still make millions while their employees struggle to pay rent.
This is just another scheme to attempt to make ~line go up~ because infinite profitability is the goal of all companies now, despite that goal being detrimental to all industries, and leading to creatively bankrupt products.
But the execs don't care because they'll profit either way.
Gotta love how in their letter they been discussing it for months but probably left the employees that were gonna be affected in the dark until they sent their letter. Yeh I bet they feel real bad they have to let those people go. Wanted to make sure it didn’t affect their productivity and to squeeze the most quality work out of them b4 dumping them.
Prob the same as most companies, get rid of the higher paid employees that know what they are doing and bring in young talent that can get away with paying less. Pass the declining quality games onto the consumers that will prob keep buying whatever they feed them.

Last edited by Tri-Z,

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good!
Fuck Sony and fuck live service games! This is what you get for fucking over both Crunchyroll and Funamation!
I hope we see the Big N and M$ suffering next
Ironically, if everyone listened to Nintendo back in 06 about the price of game development and how maybe, just maybe the industry needs to slow down a bit, things would not be as bad.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe every major studio has realised that making $300 million games that take 7 years to develop isn't sustainable and everyone's downsizing.

Good thing for the industry possibly (bad for workers let go tho)

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They canceled twisted metal tv show...gee i wonder why.
Oh that's good news, then. That show was shit.

I'll admit, it got me interested on what was going to happen on season 2, but season 1 was boring as hell.

Unfortunately, the Halo show is still going even though it feels more like a CW show.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Oh that's good news, then. That show was shit.

I'll admit, it got me interested on what was going to happen on season 2, but season 1 was boring as hell.

Unfortunately, the Halo show is still going even though it feels more like a CW show.
none of those are passion projects, so they are doom to fail from the start.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game