Knights of the Old Republic II Switch Modding

Stellar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Credit for the framework goes to jaqylfrost: https://deadlystream.com/files/file/2106-kotor-ii-switch-modding-framework/?tab=comments

Extract the zip file, and install any mods you want to use, pointing TSLPatcher at the \Localized\English\ folder containing the dialog.tlk file. For mods that don't use TSLPatcher, copy files as directed, "romfs" is equivalent to the directory on PC containing the executable.

NOTE: You may need to move files that TSLPatcher is expecting to the folder to be able to patch them. You can access them by dumping your game with nxdumptool, using romfs. Make sure you include updates when doing so. What I included should be more than sufficient for TSLRCM, however.

NOTE: When you are done, move the override folder to the root of the romfs folder, i.e. the directory with the "swplayer.ini" file.

Feel free to comment with what you needed, and what mod it was for, and if there is popular demand, I will add the files to this pack. The easiest way I found, was just to try installing a mod, and then check the log for errors to see what files were missing.

NOTE: Long filenames cause issues with TSLPatcher, this is exacerbated by the length of the filepath for romFS modding. I recommend moving the "romfs" folder to the root of the drive and patching there, moving the folder back afterwards.

Make sure to check your error log, you may manually need to copy .lip files over to override afterwards.

Move textures (.tga, .txi and .tpc) to override/Textures or they won't apply. NOTE: Aspyr included upscaled textures with this version that are not in other releases of the game. As far as I can tell, they are all in the format the original textures were in, by and large, that means they are in .tpc format, which trumps .tga and .txi files of the same name. If you have issues with a mod's textures not applying, try converting them to .tpc with Xoreos-Tools. You can download my texture reversion mods for K1 and K2 on Switch if you want to see what files are in what format.

At this point, copy the atmosphere folder to the root of your SD card, and you should be done. Please feel free to mention any issues you run into, or workarounds you needed, and I'll update this post.

You're going to need a dump of your KOTOR 2 Switch game's romFS. Any mod that expects files present in the folder you're installing mods to will produce errors in the log. Look at the log, go find those files in your ROM dump, place them in the corresponding directory within your (clean) mod install folder and start the process over.

After everything is done, look for the "dialog.tlk" file inside your mod installation folder and replace it with the one I'm attaching to this post (it adds Switch compatibility to TSLRCM's).

If you're patient, it sounds like Dr Snuggly from deadlystream is creating a batch file to automate a lot of this process. Keep an eye out in the comment sections of the original framework's page for updates.

Finally, I've attached a simple fix for the ambient noise bug that keeps getting louder and louder. You can use that by itself with no other mods, or extract it and merge it with your final mod folder AFTER everything has been done.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

IF YOU ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS PLAY KOTOR 2 RESTORED CONTENT MOD AND THIS SEEMS TOO COMPLICATED:

Download and extract this to the root of your Switch's microSD card. You're done.

The zip file contains these mods, ready to be used on Switch:

The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod

Dahnis Flirt Option for Female PC

Visas Marr and Female Exile Romance

Handmaiden and Female Exile - Disciple and Male Exile Romance

No Jealousy Lock in Handmaiden Dialogue

...and my own personal fix for an ambient noise bug, as well as the fixed dialog.tlk for TSLRCM on Switch.

Attachments

• KotOR_II_Switch_Modding_Framework_1_0_2.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 49
  • SWITCH TSLRCM dialog FIXED.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • Infinite Buzzing Fix.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by Stellar,

habla2k

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow, this is really huge, since aspyr canceled doing the DLC. Thanks alot, i will try this ahen you've done your run as mentioned in the other thread.

Would be cool, if you added other mods that are compatible after you tried them. Will it work with the robot planet for example? i never like it much, because it is really early build and not much to do there, but maybe others like it.

Btw.
this links directs also to the handmaiden mod, the text is correct, but the links behind it is not.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Stellar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I need to edit this thread, but I am putting it off until I have everything tested.

I can't guarantee that any specific mod will work, but the point is that by following some instructions you can at least install it and in most cases it *should* work. The biggest barrier is getting the files loaded by the game due to the folder structure being a bit different, and some file types trumping others in the load order.

I've been waiting on a second person (dr snuggly from deadlystream) to post their updates to their script. This framework is a hodge podge of contributions. The original method was discovered and documented by this fella: https://deadlystream.com/files/file/2106-kotor-ii-switch-modding-framework/?tab=comments

Someone in the replies claimed to figure out why some things weren't working and suggested the directories needed rearranging to accommodate the ROM's. They then made a simple script that moved things around to reflect this.

I found this framework just as they posted that script. I examined it and then rewrote it for windows users as a batch file. After some testing I realized the dialog.tlk supplied by TSLRCM is just wildly incompatible with the Switch version, and created a few scripts of my own to merge select parts of both (I've not released those as it was mostly to simplify my workload, there are hundreds of thousands of entries in that file).

After using Snuggly's script and my dialog.tlk everything was working fine, until I ran into rather gamebreaking bugs in Telos. I went back to the deadlystream page for the framework and the script had been deleted, saying there were "egregious errors" with it. I messaged them but they haven't yet replied. The original poster for the framework says they're very busy and are unlikely to ever update things themselves.

And so, I figured I'd first fix things for myself. I haven't written an updated script of my own (yet), but I have a correct and working installation of several mods. Truth be told there's some redundancy going on, but the most important thing was making sure files were being seen by the game (it has to do with duplicate folders in the romFS root and /localized/english).

I'm well past the point it originally bugged out on me and this new install has passed every test with flying colors. Several scenes exclusive to TSLRCM played out with no issue, I've recruited the Handmaiden despite my player character being female, the item table appears to match TSLRCM, etc. I'm going to finish my playthrough (at my own pace, sorry but I'm enjoying this lol), and once I confirm that everything works perfect, I will post either the method I used OR a script that will do the work for you. I might even just post the loose files of the mods themselves.

If Dr Snuggly works faster than I finish my game, I might just link to his stuff.

Stellar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Snuggly responded, and it sounds like he's working on his script still.

Uploaded my mod folder if people just want to use that and not go through the headache of manually installing stuff. I've had no issues with it and I'm near the very end of the game now. If any bugs crop up I will come back and fix it, but I think it's fine.

Last edited by Stellar,
Reactions: DrgnMasterKota

Stellar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You can follow my tutorial or you can use snuggly's script, but in either case you should use my dialog.tlk file. I've submitted it to Snuggly's github so maybe they will include it at some point.

The mediafire link I provided works 100% and requires no work, but of course you're limited to my preinstalled mods.
Post automatically merged:

@angelhp in the main menu, check the movies/videos menu. If TSLRCM credits are present, the mod is working.

angelhp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the main menu, check the movies/videos menu. If TSLRCM credits are present, the mod is working.
Good! now I see it
The fact is that I had the game in Spanish and the mod only works in English, I changed the language to the game and restarted it and the TSLRGM credits video already appears (vers.1.8.3)

Attachments

• 16892000841657224770265530654779.jpg
    16892000841657224770265530654779.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 55

habla2k

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i have, and i understand that for TSLRCM those scripts are necessary, but i also modded TSL on switch right after release and i know that for simple mods, that only have some files for override, it is enough to put it there.

i'm just gonna use your archive and add some of my other mods and try myself. thanks for all your work on this, escpecially the dialog.tlk

Reactions: Stellar

Stellar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If you know what you're doing, then have at it. My understanding was that the Switch version doesn't always respect the override folder, and that if a file exists in the ROM in certain directories and in certain file formats, it takes priority in the loading process.

habla2k

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you know what you're doing, then have at it. My understanding was that the Switch version doesn't always respect the override folder, and that if a file exists in the ROM in certain directories and in certain file formats, it takes priority in the loading process.
Yes that seems to be the case for image files (and maybe others) but what i had worked fine. cant remember what ia had though haha.

Reactions: Stellar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol