Sony reaffirms that they do NOT plan to create a Vita successor

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    how with no games?
    [​IMG]

2. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    They have no need to go down the portable route with PS4 and BC obviously makes no difference in sales as the PS4 has sold a boatload from day one. Most powerful or not the Xbox is dead in the water with almost no games worth caring about as a selling point for it. Has the new xbox even made a dent in the PS4's sales figures? Will all the millions of people already invested in a PS4 jump over to a platform with almost nothing going for it for the sake of power? I don't think so. I still don't understand why MS invested so much in making a hugely powerful console but have seemingly invested nothing and are not even attempting to secure some exclusivity for it.

3. Snitzle

Snitzle Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2017
    That's a good point actually. Was there ever any reason they were so expensive?

ThoD, THEELEMENTKH and WhiteMaze like this.
  4. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 16, 2013
    Portugal
    A̶n̶t̶i̶ ̶p̶i̶r̶a̶c̶y̶

Sorry I meant greed.

5. Nekomaru

Nekomaru Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2017
    Germany
    Well, House is about to step down as the chair of SIE by the end of the year, which might suggest he is alone with at least some of his opinions... Virtually we can get an announcement of a "New PlayStation Sweeta XL" handheld even on Jan 1st 2018.

6. growlbunny

growlbunny Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2017
    United States
    I seriously doubt that anybody's screaming "MORE SONY HANDHELDS!!!", so I think we're good.

7. ZeroX504

ZeroX504 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2016
    United States
    The Vita is not dead only thanks to the homebrew community. I think $ony failed the Vita due to the stupid memory stick's prices, they are ridiculously expensive.

WhiteMaze likes this.
  8. Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Nonsense... I think there is a market for it.. fail. just look at the 3ds

9. th3joker

th3joker GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    the original psp was never a run away success and being hacked did scare off 3rd party AAA support to the vita. the vita never got a metal gear solid, or a gran turisom or a grand theft auto, ya know system sellers. sony was more commited to the psp and it being the sony branded gamboy for teens and young adults vs the nds catering to children. the vita was a here this is what we wish psp was but we are not commited into hyping up something we dont even want to develope games for. . ... that being said id still like to see a pspgo esque psvita 3.0 with a cradle dock pstv and ds4/ds3 support. make the vita like the switch. i still love my pspgo and its cradle and component cable and a sixaxis controller since psp games dont have rumble anyways

10. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Top smartphone specs? It had a 444MHz Cortex A9. The Galaxy S2 (April 2011) has a 1.2GHz Cortex A9. Granted, the Vita's a quad-core whereas the S2 is a dual-core, but still, my point stands.

11. Zukov

Zukov Dinosaur

Oct 2, 2016
    Chile
    I will carry you wherever I go, dear Vita. You and Henkaku are the shit. :wub:

12. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    Now can we officially confirm that psdead is dead??

13. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Fan

May 21, 2014
    France
    PSP wasn't bad tbh

14. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Between expensive proprietary hardware and awful ergonomics. It shouldn't be a surprise that the Vita flopped. The first gen had that shitty cable that broke due to how flimsy it was. The slim gave us Micro USB cables, but didn't change the memory options. Even the 8GB card that came with the first slim models was filled so quickly.

The PSP was a fun system. However it was so damn uncomfortable to hold. Couldn't ever get a proper grip on the system, so extended playtime would kill my wrists. The Vita actually made it worse. Between smaller buttons and awkward stick placement, you practically HAD to buy a decent grip. The DS line and 3DS line aren't much better, but I never had a problem with long sessions

It was obviously the more powerful of the two handhelds, and it has a nice library to look at. However, half of the titles that are worth a damn came after the general consensus that the system sucked.

Last edited by Memoir, Nov 10, 2017
    Ryccardo and ThoD like this.
  15. geodeath

geodeath GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2006
    London
    Well the market has definitely changed. Many people who relied on the DS/3DS/PSP/VITA for portable gaming were casual gamers (just check the ads selling ds, 3ds, psp and vita consoles and see the titles coming with them) that could not care less today, as many 'game' on mobile phones and tablets.

And i am pretty sure that if the switch was released as a device with a portable and home consoles alternative (so the home would be just a box, no screen no nothing, much like other consoles), a big percentage would buy that instead of the portable one. I would for sure.

16. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    I wouldn't say there's "no potential in the handheld market", but I don't think Sony has anything new to offer at this point that would make a new handheld successful. Between the 3DS, Switch, smartphones, and Vita, there is just no room left in the market. As far as sheer power and mechanics go, the Vita is still close to perfect for a handheld in present time. No major technological advances have been made that would dramatically change the experience with a new system, so it would be a hard sell to get people who own a Vita to upgrade to a new handheld. Smartphones and the 3DS basically beat out the Vita, and nothing has changed since then that would give them any more success. It would take a dramatic innovative breakthrough for Sony to have a successful new handheld, so I think it is wise of them to hold off right now.

17. sephurchin

sephurchin GBAtemp Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    United States
    They just needed to support it more. They put all that money into to just. . . .pretend like it don't exist. The vita is still a great machine and there are developers/publishers that are still willing to support it at least. Releases may have slowed down, but there are still games being released for it.

18. TCJJ

TCJJ GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Not surprising. They made two solid systems (especially the Vita) and completely mishandled both of those. If Sony released a third handheld, they'd likely only screw it up again because they're almost as incompetent as Nintendo.
    I mean, hell, the Vita just copied the PSP:
    • Expensive, proprietary memory cards - check
    • Lack of first-part support - check
    • Next to no new features added to the OS - check (and also, a lot of homebrew and plugins have been adding simple features which Sony refused to add, but they just patch up the system instead of adding those much-desired features because "muh piracy" - oh the irony)
    • Too much stability - no check because there can never be enough stability
    • Poor PS3/PS4 compatibility - fucking check check check because even when it worked, it didn't often work well
    • High price - check
    • Lack of support immediately following release - check
    • Abandoning/half-assing supposedly big features (I'm looking at you, Near) - check
    You get the idea.

And this is coming from someone who loves handhelds in general and owns two Vitas.

Last edited by TCJJ, Nov 10, 2017
    WhiteMaze and Subtle Demise like this.
  19. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    i think that sony should sell the rights to the vita to valve and have them manufacture the next one for obvious reasons

20. TCJJ

TCJJ GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Why, so that they can change the analogue sticks to touch-sensitive craters and release zero games for it?

You know, on second thought, that fits Sony quite well.

Subtle Demise likes this.