Microsoft ended production of Xbox One at the end of 2020; Sony will continue producing PS4s through 2022

9769090c-3d1d-4833-a935-5137fc7d6402.jpg

The beginning of the new console generation has been defined by shortages. The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S have been notoriously hard to find since launch, and the two companies have responded to this issue in diametrically opposed ways.

In a statement released to The Verge yesterday, Cindy Walker, senior director of Xbox console product marketing, said "To focus on production of Xbox Series X / S, we stopped production for all Xbox One consoles by the end of 2020." While both variations of the new Xbox console are still facing shortages, the Series S is generally easier to find than the Series X or the PS5. This is possibly because the Series S chip is easier to make. "We can actually build more of the Series S [chips] in the same [chip] die space as we can the Series X," said Xbox head Phil Spencer in another statement to The Verge last year.

Meanwhile, Sony is facing these challenges by focusing on the PS4. A Sony spokesperson has confirmed to Bloomberg that they have no intention of stopping production on the console, saying “It is one of the best-selling consoles ever and there is always crossover between generations." Reportedly, sources had told Bloomberg previously that Sony planned to end PS4 production by the end of 2021, but revised its plan due to the ongoing component shortages. Since the PS4 is cheaper to produce and uses more readily available parts, the company thinks it will be a budget-friendly alternative to consumers. This has derailed PlayStation Chief Jim Ryan's previous statements about wanting to transition users from the PS4 to the PS5 quickly. "As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks -- probably our main task -- is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before," he said in a statement to gamesindustry.biz in November 2019.

Despite these issues, both consoles are performing better than any in either company's history. The PlayStation 5 is Sony's fastest-selling console, selling ten million units after eight months, one month faster than the PlayStation 4 did. Phil Spencer also confirmed in a recent interview with The New York Times that the Series X|S were also Microsoft's fastest-selling consoles, though he didn't give specific numbers.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always thought it was stupid of Microsoft to end production of the XBox 1X. Given how we're in a chip shortage, the 1X would have been a great little 4K gaming machine and gateway to modern gamers.

Reactions: BrandonSWITCH

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder how many of those 10 mill are still in the hands of scalpers. All those consoles just sitting there unopened. Kinda makes the sales figures a little bit bullshit doesn’t it?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Not too surprising really, given the Xboner's sales trends and the way MS is handling the Xbox brand. Sales has been dwindling on the Xboner for the last couple years now (not that they were all that great to begin with :lol:), and with the Series S so "easy" to get there's not a huge reason to opt for any Xboner at this point unless you're fine trading next gen game support for "4k" last gen ones with the One X.

And not too surprising that Sony is still sticking with making the PS4, given that it still sells quite well since most normal people can't get their hands on a PS5 without licking a scalpers taint for one. Although I've noticed scalped prices have dropped a little bit the last month or two, so hopefully that won't be true by the end of 2022.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always thought it was stupid of Microsoft to end production of the XBox 1X. Given how we're in a chip shortage, the 1X would have been a great little 4K gaming machine and gateway to modern gamers.
They probably went with that decision because the ratio between production costs & what the (prior) sales figures for the One X were just not worth it for them, and maybe the low interest from consumers.
Given now that they mainly focus on software marketing, it doesn't matter what console you buy (or PC) as long as you're using/in the MS ecosystem.

Reactions: LightyKD

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I am on a gaming platform but I have to admit that I thought Xbox One is the current Xbox generation. I thought the Series stuff is the same console (with the same games), just with higher resolutions.

Reactions: BigOnYa

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on a gaming platform but I have to admit that I thought Xbox One is the current Xbox generation. I thought the Series stuff is the same console (with the same games), just with higher resolutions.
Just like how a lot of people thought the Wii U was just a different version of the Wii, when in reality it was an entirely new generation.

Reactions: Henx

SouzetsuAerir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at prices of the X1X around $400 used. You could go with either a Series S or an X and either spend $100 less or more depending on what your needs may be so it does make sense to end production. Also, the stigma of the X1 name didn't help drive demand for it.

Reactions: HellGhast

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I tried to buy a new Ps4 slim in December to jump onto the pOOBs4 9.00 jailbreak but alas no Ps4's were in stock, and ofcourse Ps5's were out of stock as usual.

All the shops I tried said Ps4's will re-stock in Jan or Feb @ the low low price of $650, up from $450.
Ridiculous since the Pro used to around $600 before it disappeared. Infact so ridiculous that some of the shops said they will not re-stock coz @ $650 they have been having difficulty selling the console coz people would rather buy a Ps5 if any was available.

So my dilemma is this, is it worth it to buy a Ps4 slim @ $650 for the 9.00 Jb?
Or just cough up $1000 for a Ps5 and hope to get a future jailbreak on ps5.

Last edited by HellGhast,

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait. So you acknowledge the chip shortage (it's actually more complicated, but okay) and yet you want them to KEEP using chips to make obsolete consoles? That helps how?

• Angry
Reactions: PopcornSweetie

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are they going to end ps4? Like they keep producing ps4 slim or ps4 pro and all these model and abandon the original one? Are they?
afaik, sony has ended production on both the slim and the pro, so I think it's only phats now. there was another article about this a while back. I guess they don't want to be competing with the ps5 or something?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know for sure about slims, but I'm pretty sure about the pro model. I think they haven't been resupplying, so finding a new pro model may be extremely difficult.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto