Sony has lost 2 million PS+ subscribers since the service relaunched in June

dasdasasdadsadsasdasd.png

This Summer, we saw PlayStation relaunch PlayStation Plus as a multi-tiered service, while also merging it with their game streaming subscription PlayStation Now. The result of that change seems to have been a negative for Sony, because the latest financial report for the company shows that they lost 2 million subscribers in the process. Prior to the relaunch, there were 47.3 million PS+ users, but by the end of September, that number had dropped by 4%, to 45.4 million. It was also noted that active online users on PSN dropped by about a million, though Sony hopes to recapture that audience in due time. Beyond those two stats, sales, income, and PS5 console production are on the rise all across the board for PlayStation.

The number of PlayStation Plus subscriber accounts at the end of September decreased 4% from the end of June to 45.4 million accounts. We see that this decrease results from a greater decline in user engagement among PlayStation 4 (PS4) users than expected. • On the other hand, the ratio of PS Plus subscribers among PlayStation 5 (PS5) users remains at a level significantly higher than that of PS4. We are putting even more effort into accelerating the penetration of PS5 hardware to recover this user engagement going forward.

:arrow: Source

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Microsoft has the best subscription service for games and they even have one for PC. Sony ruined their own by complicating things and not making it easier to understand.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What I don't understand also why you guys are mad when things doesn't change or affected you.
it affects me, I can't get PSNow for 1 month only (just to play one game in streaming, I don't need 1 year for 1 game) while I still have PS+ plan active for 12 years.

The only time I can do that, is when I'm reaching the end of my PS+ subscription, I can "upgrade to tier3" for 1 or 2 months, then cancel it, and it'll be back to PS+ tier1 essential at the renewal date.
I understand that it's a mess to manage 3 different subscriptions levels with different times. but, I don't like their current choice.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: tabzer

NewLoveMachine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox stays winning baybeee. For real though, I'm glad I made the switch back to Xbox, way better bang for my buck. Sony can win me back when they actually have a service that's worth my time and money, or come back to the handheld market and not drop the ball so fucking hard this time.

marhalloweenvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Sony: Pay 60$ for Online Services but not much game I am currently playing have Online Mode. What a waste if I pay for those *bling bling* thing.
Nintendo: Pay 35$ Online Services for all members of my family, and everybody enjoys their favorite games with Online Mode.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So yeah they done messed up. Heck I'd take game pass over the mess that is psn these days. And I don't even use my xbox or pc that much due to work

Gozaburo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
I'm abolutely not interested on these ps+ games or additionally content. I just want to play a few games online.
And that's the reason why I'm avoiding ps+ for over 3 years.
At least Nintendo gives me the choice between online gaming which is only 20$ and additionally content for 40$.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
He sold out and went to work for Facebook. "Life is Good"
I am sure he has moved on by now.
Because he killed them his hacks for the console went nowhere and he gets no credit for good reason.
He did little for the console and you wont see his name anywhere beyond ancient lore.
And you know the theFl0w is still very active in the scene.

Thefl0w is a God in the ps scene, too bad he crossed over to the dark side, coz check this out:

- 5.05 full disclosure to the scene = the most stable ps4 jb.
- 6.72 he discloses to hacker0ne = full disclosure by $ony to the scene = semi stable jb.
- 7.55 he discloses to hacker0ne = partial disclosure by $ony to the scene = unstable jb.

Conclusion = Without thefl0w's magic touch we get unstable jailbreaks.

9.00 is his stuff, although it was reverse engineered by chendochap, Sleirsgoevy, specterdev and znullptr.

Lmfao coz Ps5 has the 7.02 Ps4 exploit, $ony forgot to patch that one and thefl0w scores yet another bounty.

My point is that he is still active but since thefl0w started disclosing to $ony the ps scene hasn't been the same, we lost a very talented playstation hacker.

BTW I am sure we'd have a full Ps5 jb if thefl0w hadn't crossed over, I bet he has a hyper-viser hack but it's under a non-disclosure.

Reactions: MicroNut99

MicroNut99

!SEGA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thefl0w is a God in the ps scene, too bad he crossed over to the dark side, coz check this out:

- 5.05 full disclosure to the scene = the most stable ps4 jb.
- 6.72 he discloses to hacker0ne = full disclosure by $ony to the scene = semi stable jb.
- 7.55 he discloses to hacker0ne = partial disclosure by $ony to the scene = unstable jb.

Conclusion = Without thefl0w's magic touch we get unstable jailbreaks.

9.00 is his stuff, although it was reverse engineered by chendochap, Sleirsgoevy, specterdev and znullptr.
With a world wide effort of talent like this, its only a matter of time. The bd-jb has much potential.

Lmfao coz Ps5 has the 7.02 Ps4 exploit, $ony forgot to patch that one and thefl0w scores yet another bounty.

My point is that he is still active but since thefl0w started disclosing to $ony the ps scene hasn't been the same, we lost a very talented playstation hacker.

BTW I am sure we'd have a full Ps5 jb if thefl0w hadn't crossed over, I bet he has a hyper-viser hack but it's under a non-disclosure.
With $ involved and no threat of legal retaliation I think they are all playing both sides of the fence now.

This person is on fire.
https://cturt.github.io/mast1c0re.html
Open source is good and a double edged problem.
Sometimes keeping secrets can bring as much trouble as bringing them out in the open, like the PS3.
At least those problems aren't real legal issues like jail time and major fines.

Reactions: HellGhast

soup1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good for you. No one cares. I have a PS5, Series X, gaming PC, Switch, and a closet full of past gen consoles. Do you care? Imagine not having to jump ship though. Why do you feel like you need some sort of loyalty for one over the other? Because innocent, perfect MS? lol
because some of us don't have daddys money lmao

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
With a world wide effort of talent like this, its only a matter of time. The bd-jb has much potential.

ETA WEN ?

(old Wololo joke for entitled mofos who update to play the latest and greatest and 2 days later are demanding ETA Wen for jb of the current security-firmware)

But damn i hope you are right & a full jb for Ps5 comes along asap, and yes bd-jb has alot more wiggle room than webkit.

BTW my sis's daughter wanted to buy a Ps5 since 2020 but no luck, that is no luck until they finally consulted me in Dec 2021.

Told them I can get 'em a 4.5 but if she wants a sure bet jb it has to be 4.03
They said 4.03, so I hustled and got 'em a very hard to find 4.03 and told 'em "No Inter-web and Do NOT Update"
Guess what? Niece updated for Horizon Forbidden West and she's still updating coz she's on 5.10 when i visited in August.
She wasted 4.03 4.50 and 4.51

With $ involved and threat of legal retaliation I think they are all playing both sides of the fence now. Open source is good and a double edged problem.

Sometimes keeping secrets can bring as much trouble as bringing them out in the open, like the PS3...At least those problems aren't real legal issues like jail time and major fines

With the Almighty Dollar on the line yo gotta Cover Yo A$$, case in point poor Gary Opa Bowser went against Nintendont, the same company that sued an 8-year girl coz she was drawing m@r10 and slapped her with a permanent injunction to never draw m@r10 ever, these guys are nuts, an 8-yo!

Yeah, understandable that the rest choose to go CYA, probably there's a HV hack and full jb, but under wraps coz of GeoHot and fail0verflow's legal troubles during Ps3 era.

Yeah cturt got major game too, the 1st ever Ps4 1.76 jb was his:
https://wololo.net/2015/12/18/cturt...tails-decides-to-end-hacking-research-on-ps4/

and he's been paid more bounty from $ony's hacker0ne than Andy Nguyen aka thefl0w, in 2021 I think $30k vs fl0w's $20k and both scored $20k so far this year. Good for them though coz they are rewarded for their talent.

BTW he sat on that vulnerability for a very long time, and $ony also took a while b4 releasing disclosure.

Reactions: MicroNut99

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country
When sony increased the price of psn a few years ago I didn't renew. I kept my membership up as I got the free games from the start of its launch. Now I have not looked back. With microsoft getting rif od 360 games I might do the same. I am sure microsoft said on xbox live you get to keep thegames on offer but they silently changed that to only 360 games.

BowelTheMovement

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only subscriptions I've ever joined where Nintendo Online because of its price point and the enhancement to Animal Crossing via other user content, and Prime, because of Prime Gaming + Prime Series Shows + Promised shipment arrivals.

I have never seen the merit to any other subscriptions.

The cloud streaming is an issue because its closing the piracy window to be able to backup and preserve games. Digital games lack a physical disc to decay over time but the data will slowly degrade with being backed up to other media forms as well over time. But there is no media to grab from cloud streaming, unless someone is going to try to get into the host server, through active defenses. There in, once the service goes, the games go with it and if the company goes all is pretty much lost if nobody backups their servers in acqisitions or if the company nukes the data upon their fall.

Reactions: Gozaburo

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If your account gets hacked, not only do you not get the money back, but they blame you for it getting hacked. Sony deserves to lose all of its subscribers!
Just resort to piracy instead.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
because some of us don't have daddys money lmao

I bet it took you three days to come up with that originality (/s). Sounds like a personal problem though. Maybe you can do something with your life so you no longer have to worry about needing someone elses money to buy things you want. Perhaps find something you really enjoy doing and go to school for it after high school? There are soooooooooooo many options out there for young kids like yourself. Pick something, set your mind to succeed, and you too can have more than one gaming option (and a whole lot of other things) at some point. It's never too late to start. You can be happy.

Last edited by RedColoredStars,

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have always been a SONY console user, but they are taking a very wrong way if they compare their store to the Xbox store......If they don't do something, they will loose users everyday!
Also, I haven't pass to PS5 because SONY has LIED to us all: PS5 Should have been compatible with all previous Playstation, that was the promess! Also, the shape is HORRIBLE, we all like square shape, it ugly BIG and can't even fit under my SONY Tv, also it's MESSY in white!!! The only good thing is the PS5 gamepad, but it shouldn't have been white.
The question is: Is Sony smart enought to ask questions their consummers what they should do??
1ST RULE: Respect the consummers and do what was intended, Make a ps5 full compatibility with previous models like XBOX did, they are loosing market Share because they are DUMB.
2Nd RULE: Ask them what they want for the Future.
3rd RULE: Respect NATURE, make compatibility with gamepad and all and make advancements at the same time!!

Last edited by mrmagicm,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/_sJ79aDQTeQ?si=dCPYbyGhZ8OFK8nb