Microsoft ended production of Xbox One at the end of 2020; Sony will continue producing PS4s through 2022

9769090c-3d1d-4833-a935-5137fc7d6402.jpg

The beginning of the new console generation has been defined by shortages. The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S have been notoriously hard to find since launch, and the two companies have responded to this issue in diametrically opposed ways.

In a statement released to The Verge yesterday, Cindy Walker, senior director of Xbox console product marketing, said "To focus on production of Xbox Series X / S, we stopped production for all Xbox One consoles by the end of 2020." While both variations of the new Xbox console are still facing shortages, the Series S is generally easier to find than the Series X or the PS5. This is possibly because the Series S chip is easier to make. "We can actually build more of the Series S [chips] in the same [chip] die space as we can the Series X," said Xbox head Phil Spencer in another statement to The Verge last year.

Meanwhile, Sony is facing these challenges by focusing on the PS4. A Sony spokesperson has confirmed to Bloomberg that they have no intention of stopping production on the console, saying “It is one of the best-selling consoles ever and there is always crossover between generations." Reportedly, sources had told Bloomberg previously that Sony planned to end PS4 production by the end of 2021, but revised its plan due to the ongoing component shortages. Since the PS4 is cheaper to produce and uses more readily available parts, the company thinks it will be a budget-friendly alternative to consumers. This has derailed PlayStation Chief Jim Ryan's previous statements about wanting to transition users from the PS4 to the PS5 quickly. "As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks -- probably our main task -- is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before," he said in a statement to gamesindustry.biz in November 2019.

Despite these issues, both consoles are performing better than any in either company's history. The PlayStation 5 is Sony's fastest-selling console, selling ten million units after eight months, one month faster than the PlayStation 4 did. Phil Spencer also confirmed in a recent interview with The New York Times that the Series X|S were also Microsoft's fastest-selling consoles, though he didn't give specific numbers.

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know for sure about slims, but I'm pretty sure about the pro model. I think they haven't been resupplying, so finding a new pro model may be extremely difficult.
I have no idea that they stopped pro production. Now, I just realized how lucky pro owners are... I remember the day i purchased the pro model, that was the day one it was released. I put it in the chest and wait for an exploit, few years and months, bam, 5.05 exploit was released. Then i become busy to work, put it in the chest again and bam, 9.00 exploit.

Reactions: godreborn

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
I really think they should focus all their efforts on the 5 instead of being held back by the PS4's ancient hardware
agree, but i think sony is also having hard time getting chips needed to build the video card of ps5 (same as the RTX 30XX video card which is also hard to find, and if you find one, its also overpriced). Instead of waiting for the scarce supply of video card chips for ps5, they opted to continue production of ps4 so that they still have income.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I tried to buy a new Ps4 slim in December to jump onto the pOOBs4 9.00 jailbreak but alas no Ps4's were in stock, and ofcourse Ps5's were out of stock as usual.

All the shops I tried said Ps4's will re-stock in Jan or Feb @ the low low price of $650, up from $450.
Ridiculous since the Pro used to around $600 before it disappeared. Infact so ridiculous that some of the shops said they will not re-stock coz @ $650 they have been having difficulty selling the console coz people would rather buy a Ps5 if any was available.

So my dilemma is this, is it worth it to buy a Ps4 slim @ $650 for the 9.00 Jb?
Or just cough up $1000 for a Ps5 and hope to get a future jailbreak on ps5.

The PS5 can play most PS4 games so it depends on what you want.

Overall, I would say to look online and get a used PS4 in good condition but dunno how hard that is were you live.

Reactions: HellGhast

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microshite always end production of its last console as soon as they launch a new one, probably to boost next gen sales.

Bit like nintendont.

Ditch the console and it's games ASAP, tho nintendo didn't really make anything new this gen.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microshite always end production of its last console as soon as they launch a new one, probably to boost next gen sales.

Bit like nintendont.

Ditch the console and it's games ASAP, tho nintendo didn't really make anything new this gen.
except sony abandoned the vita almost immediately when it was clear it was a failure. at least nintendo stayed with the wii u for like four or five years when it was clear it was a failure as well. ;)

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always saw the Xbox One as the way crappier option, even if it wasn't too far behind the PS4. The Series S is just better in every way to the One X imo.
The lack of optical drive on the series S is my reason to give it a hard pass. At least the One X would have been more palatable as a result. So unless Microsoft does a system update that let's you use an external bd reader for the physical games, I just cannot be interested enough to consider it.

Reactions: newo

cashboxz01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be a stupid decision to stop making it before the PS5 is available to the masses. The rate of ps5 production is slow, and not a lot of people have one. It would only make sense for publishers to keep making games for systems which people already have. Same goes for switch...which is probably the best Nintendo system right along the SNES and the Gameboy.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yikes. My XboxOne served its purpose and that was to play KH3 while keeping my ps4 Pro on 5.50 at the time. Hell I actually 100% the game which is the most played title ever on it lol I still have the screenshot. It may be the worst console since the Wii U, but I'll treasure mine b/c it was a Christmas gift from my Dad who passed away 2 years ago.

Attachments

• My Great Capture Screenshot 2019-03-12 11-35-39.png
    My Great Capture Screenshot 2019-03-12 11-35-39.png
    815.9 KB · Views: 67

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
except sony abandoned the vita almost immediately when it was clear it was a failure. at least nintendo stayed with the wii u for like four or five years when it was clear it was a failure as well. ;)
Sony abandoned the vita by supporting it with games, but didn't ditch it and end production.

Thats completely different topic, but as soon as the switch came out nintendo ended support for the wii u and made no more games and ended production.

Just like they did with the n64 when the cube came out, like they did with the cube when the wii came out..... and it goes on and on.

They have phased the 3ds out, made no replacement, but it looks slowly that they're phasing thr switch to replace it when they said it wont be, with its handheld only switch.

The OLED is completely pointless, play inferior games at lower resolution, dumbed down and a tiny screen vs on the bigger and better quality TV you already own.

Why pay more just to make crap games look prettier.... not worth the stupid price increase for the sake of a screen and nothing else.

Yet again nintendo making yet again another model to milk that cashcow, cheap skates laughing as sheep flock to buy this pointless model that makes no improvement, no improvide hardware or anything.

Its as if they want to crap out new models so the fans rush and buy, maybe an attempt to get rid of the remaining stock they have left for the nvidia chip.

Then what, will nintendont do the unlikely and pay up without passing the expense onto the customer, or do they replace the nvidia chip with an equal but cheaper version and still charge its customers the same price.

Then soon we will see announcement of their new console to keep in the market against the new next gen, but again it will be cheap and basically a clone of the last gen, slightly beefed up if we are lucky.

And hey presto theyll promise again to improve on 3rd party, then commence all the old games they lacked first time round been ported over again.

Like the switch, new console to play old games..... boring.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Sony is still producing PS4s then how come I can never seem to find any listings for new PS4 consoles? Can someone point me to them?

Darkworld92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I tried to buy a new Ps4 slim in December to jump onto the pOOBs4 9.00 jailbreak but alas no Ps4's were in stock, and ofcourse Ps5's were out of stock as usual.

All the shops I tried said Ps4's will re-stock in Jan or Feb @ the low low price of $650, up from $450.
Ridiculous since the Pro used to around $600 before it disappeared. Infact so ridiculous that some of the shops said they will not re-stock coz @ $650 they have been having difficulty selling the console coz people would rather buy a Ps5 if any was available.

So my dilemma is this, is it worth it to buy a Ps4 slim @ $650 for the 9.00 Jb?
Or just cough up $1000 for a Ps5 and hope to get a future jailbreak on ps5.
just get an Xbox Series S and you're set.

Darkworld92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Sony abandoned the vita by supporting it with games, but didn't ditch it and end production.

Thats completely different topic, but as soon as the switch came out nintendo ended support for the wii u and made no more games and ended production.

Just like they did with the n64 when the cube came out, like they did with the cube when the wii came out..... and it goes on and on.

They have phased the 3ds out, made no replacement, but it looks slowly that they're phasing thr switch to replace it when they said it wont be, with its handheld only switch.

The OLED is completely pointless, play inferior games at lower resolution, dumbed down and a tiny screen vs on the bigger and better quality TV you already own.

Why pay more just to make crap games look prettier.... not worth the stupid price increase for the sake of a screen and nothing else.

Yet again nintendo making yet again another model to milk that cashcow, cheap skates laughing as sheep flock to buy this pointless model that makes no improvement, no improvide hardware or anything.

Its as if they want to crap out new models so the fans rush and buy, maybe an attempt to get rid of the remaining stock they have left for the nvidia chip.

Then what, will nintendont do the unlikely and pay up without passing the expense onto the customer, or do they replace the nvidia chip with an equal but cheaper version and still charge its customers the same price.

Then soon we will see announcement of their new console to keep in the market against the new next gen, but again it will be cheap and basically a clone of the last gen, slightly beefed up if we are lucky.

And hey presto theyll promise again to improve on 3rd party, then commence all the old games they lacked first time round been ported over again.

Like the switch, new console to play old games..... boring.

Nintendo's home consoles always had the lifespan of 5 years it's always been this rule so I don't know why you're so worked up (save for a few exceptions):

NES: 1985 ( 6 years)
SNES: 1991 (5 years)
N64: 1996 (5 years)
GCN: 2001 (5 years)
Wii: 2006 (6 years)
Wii U: 2012 (5 years)
Switch 2017 (???)

Last edited by Darkworld92,
Reactions: zfreeman

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why wouldn't Sony continue to make the PS4? I think the last year of production of the PS2 was only like a year before the PS4 came out. And with most games being released these days being completely playable on the well selling PS4 in addition to the PS5, to cease production of the PS4 at this point would be just a terrible business decision.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto