Sony to end support for the PlayStation Store on PS3, PSP, Vita

37DF3A8F-6F9A-489A-BE4E-64CA67E8604F.jpeg

After rumors began brewing that Sony might finally put an end to PlayStation Store access on some of its older systems, the company has finally confirmed what some fans feared. Starting later this year, support for the PlayStation Store on the PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, and PlayStation Portable will be ending. As of today, they’ve also shut down the old web store that allowed customers to purchase games for those platforms on their computer. This decision comes as a result of Sony wanting to unify and focus on their more modern and current systems: the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. The PSP and PS3’s store access will be the first to go, on July 2, 2021, with the Vita to follow shortly after on August 27th. Players will still be able to download their already purchased games even after those dates, but once July and August rolls around, any digital games for those platforms will become unavailable to buy.

:arrow: Source

Goemonz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, Sony is encouraging piracy. F*ck a digital only future.

yup. All of Sony's "innovation" seems to benefit them a lot more than us lately.

All digital = no more cheap used games and them trying to sell you stuff you already bought... again.... and again...

New custom fast SSD = being charged a fortune for small memory upgrades instead of using one of the 17 standard SSD drives we have on the shelf.

New controller design = you still can't use one of the 47 standard USB pads you already own so Sony can nickel n dime us to death on new joypads

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yup. All of Sony's "innovation" seems to benefit them a lot more than us lately.

All digital = no more cheap used games and them trying to sell you stuff you already bought... again.... and again...

New custom fast SSD = being charged a fortune for small memory upgrades instead of using one of the 17 standard SSD drives we have on the shelf.

New controller design = you still can't use one of the 47 standard USB pads you already own so Sony can nickel n dime us to death on new joypads

Sony doesn't even allow you to use the M.2 slot on the PS5 lol. Talk about being lazy.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i guess people wanted these consoles to be supported for another 50 years? like what the fuck old ass consoles lol ps vita failed, psp is 17 years old and the ps3 is 14 years old

Good consoles, though..

Reactions: banjo2

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i guess people wanted these consoles to be supported for another 50 years? like what the fuck old ass consoles lol ps vita failed, psp is 17 years old and the ps3 is 14 years old

Good consoles, though..
With some games being digital only or printed in small amounts it's necessary to be able to buy them digitally. It's also the cheapest way to get the Fatal Frame PS2 games.

sloppycrap

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
This is why I was mostly against digital gaming from the beginning. If you have the disc you can always play the game but if you need to redownload a digital game for some reason it's not necessarily permanent.

I also only play analog games /s

I've been all-PSN since, fuck, January 2011 according to my download list. Every dollar spent went to the publisher and $0 went to GameStop, so I "support the devs" on the terms they agreed to. No one can "take my games" from me because PSP/PS3/Vita is busted wide open and I can take what I have (even what I *don't* have) and keep on playing them. Good luck playing those discs on something other than the original console.

I'm not against physical discs, but I'm also not a collector. I don't want a shelf full of games. That's what they make hard drives for.

All this announcement is doing is letting us know that Sony says piracy is okay towards the end of the year.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sony doesn't even allow you to use the M.2 slot on the PS5 lol. Talk about being lazy.
Meh they'll update it probably toward the end of the year. It would matter more if my library wasn't mostly physical, and if I couldn't keep PS4 games on an external drive. I'd bet even external SSDs work fine, but PS5 upgrades seem to bring load time improvements regardless of where the game is installed.

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
look on psx place. that's where its devs are. you can find lots of info on it there. I recently bought a super slim myself (haven't gotten it yet), but I don't plan to use any hacks with it. good luck.

@guisadop , just don't mention piracy or they won't help you. they're an ap site.

Thank you guys so much!

Is it overheating or is it ylod-ing? because ylod is usually related to other issues.
it really is overheating, sadly. I turn it on and it turns itself off in less than a minute while the fan goes bananas.

Last edited by guisadop,

RemnantKnight56

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was waiting for this before I add CFW to my PS3. Now I'll just buy up the games I want to have so I can at least play most of the PS3 and PSP library I care about officially. Then, I'll fly the colors like I have with Nintendo's consoles. I honestly love the PS3 for the backwards compatibility it has and the fact it is a great media player in general. I just hesitated to add homebrew before since I didn't want to be banned from the digital storefront. Soon I won't have to worry about that.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh they'll update it probably toward the end of the year. It would matter more if my library wasn't mostly physical, and if I couldn't keep PS4 games on an external drive. I'd bet even external SSDs work fine, but PS5 upgrades seem to bring load time improvements regardless of where the game is installed.

They should have had it usable from launch IMO.

fischermasamune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the closing of the Store imply PSN (and online play) will also be blocked on it? I don't think so, at least right now, but I'm afraid it might go away too.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't see what's the problem... there is probably a low percentage of people still using PS3 services. Most PS3 games are on PS Now so it makes sense to advertise that but the PSP, PS Vita, PS3 are hackable and you can get all your games and DLC on the net is which are more secure than relying on Sony.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Fuck you Sony for preparing the murder of countless PS1/2 and PS3-exclusive titles. Why couldn't you make them compatible with the PS4 or PS5, huh?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You all complain about digital only being problematic.. But retro games (PHYSICALLY) are becoming increasingly harder to purchase. Aside from some repro carts, which are overpriced garbage to begin with. It's a catch 22.

Needless to say, shutting down a virtual outlet sucks.. But.. Much like other platforms, the games are still readily accessible through *ahem* "other" means.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fuck you Sony for preparing the murder of countless PS1/2 and PS3-exclusive titles. Why couldn't you make them compatible with the PS4 or PS5, huh?

They could have done it but it would have been super expensive and people complained about the $599 PS3 price which is why they took away BC in the first place. It would be difficult to emulate all those games on PS4 or PS5 without the hefty price tag I still believe Sony should have made premium models that supported BC,

But then again when you buy a new system you are buying it for NEW GAMES not games that's over 10 years old.

You all complain about digital only being problematic.. But retro games (PHYSICALLY) are becoming increasingly harder to purchase. Aside from some repro carts, which are overpriced garbage to begin with. It's a catch 22.

Needless to say, shutting down a virtual outlet sucks.. But.. Much like other platforms, the games are still readily accessible through *ahem* "other" means.

Emulation is keeping retro alive without emulators we would be forced into buying the "gimmick" mini consoles. 20 years later and no Gameboy nor Gameboy advance anniversary from Nintendo I wouldn't hold my breath for a PS2 mini.

Last edited by Goku1992A,

SolidSonicTH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My PSP and Vita are hacked (and really it only matters that the Vita is) but my PS3 is still normal. Guess I better get to spendin'.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am kind surprised no one has made a Pi to cart adapter for older systems... Like a universal...