Sony reaffirms that they do NOT plan to create a Vita successor

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 9, 2017.

1. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    All OLED Vitas suffer from it.
    Mine as well.

Yeh, they did cheap out and reproducing those OLED panels or replacing them is incredibly costly or just not possible ;/

2. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 17, 2017
    United States
    It had to be the best part of vitas that was cheaped out on. Since the defining feature of oleds are black levels and high contrast ratios.
    It was a bit of a disappointment since I was expecting this truly excellent picture they were advertising.

If you want to see a truly excellent picture then Oled Tv's, Plasma Pioneer Kuro's, and Crts are the way to go.

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    AMOLED phones.

4. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 17, 2017
    United States
    That too. And they also include a accurate picture setting to choose from too. Since i'm use to looking at accurate picture as I calibrate all my screens.

The vita though, its a shame, I liked it. But those expensive mem cards really killed it.

DinohScene likes this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    It has been going on for decades, seems google groups lost its nice usenet search but in the meantime here is an article from CNN in 1999 using the term
    http://money.cnn.com/1999/09/09/technology/dreamcast/
    2002 the economist http://www.economist.com/node/1189352
    1999 print gaming magazine https://i.imgur.com/1KbxtuZ.jpg
    Unsure what year but as the PS1 was kicking off http://photobucket.com/gallery/http...sprite/media/Magazine Scans/UFG4Pg58.jpg.html
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-J_npv8ApY...vk/s1600/GamePro_Issue061_August_1994-032.jpg
    1994 there.

I guess this has little bearing on whether you like it or not or find it productive. I don't, I see similar things in all sorts of fields though and as marketing people have a fair bit of money to ply their trade and it has been seen to work for years I doubt it will be going away any time soon.

gnmmarechal likes this.
  6. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    Its a shame. I have loved my PSViTA equally much as my N3DSXL.

But we have known this for many years :(

7. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    What kind of crazy hands do you have? If the PSP was anything it was a comfortable system to hold in-hand.

The Vita is even better with it's dual joysticks. It has the same layout as dualshock controllers, imo the best and most culturally beloved controller out there. There's a reason why the dualshock design has barely changed since the 90s.

8. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Eh, I wouldn't say the PSP was "comfortable". It wasn't the worst, but ever since I started using my Vita and DualShock 4 for games such as the Project Diva series, I never went back to the PSP just because of how uncomfortable it was. Not that its competitors were any better at the time, but imo it was definitely not "comfortable". If anything, it was the least uncomfortable one out of the available options.

9. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    The dualshock design is not the most culturally beloved design. There's actually a nice split between the likes of Xbox/Switch and what Sony did.

The PSP was and will always be the worst handheld I've played on for ergonomics. The little nub was in such an awkward spot that my hand would cramp after an hour of Socom. It's the only system to this day that's ever been a huge issue.

The Vita didn't exactly improve on the awkward layout, that's for sure. I had to buy a grip due to how awkwardly small everything is. Even playing with just the dpad and four face buttons never was comfortable.

10. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Yeah, using the analog stick was a bit of a pain, forgot about that. I mostly played games that didn't use it, so that didn't bother me too much. It definitely wasn't comfortable even so, though.

11. MeowMeowMeow

MeowMeowMeow GBAtemp Regular

Apr 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    Smartphone/phones game are pure shit. Most of them is pay to win and micro transactions

12. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    It would've been retarded. They would've been limited by current technology and would've got a device which is basically as powerful as the Switch (at most), but without the Nintendo exclusives.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Seen the ratio of shovelware to goodness on the DS (otherwise known as Nintendo's last unarguable success)? Equally you can have 20000 pieces of shovelware all you like if there is still a good library to be had out of it.

14. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Sounds like the problem is that your hands are too big.

15. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    Its crazy how the Vita pretty much defined at the time a console experience in your hands, yet Nintendo have ran with the idea and now making $$$$$$. We all know the Vita was hardware wise phenomenal, software wise + marketting wise very meh.

They should have released a Vita + PS3 bundle, I think that would have saved it. The issue I had with the Vita was the slack of L2/R2 and clickable analogues, maybe if they'd spent less money on the touch portion of the device and incorporated those two elements, along with cheaper memory cards, it would have held more longevity as at least a solid remote play device.

I'm playing Cold Steel 2 on it now and its really really nice. Some of my best gaming has been on the Vita. It makes me VERY excited for my eventual purchase of the Switch. Portable gaming is just so phenomenal and its sad that Sony missed this trick.

Overall I think its wise Sony just leaves Nintendo to dominate the handheld market now. Nintendo have so many phenomenal IPs from a portable standpoint and Sony sadly left all of theirs in the dirt. I hope MS or Sony do release a Switch competitor. Playing Dark souls 3 or Kingdom Hearts3 on the go is a dream I want fulfilled but I don't see anyone stepping up. I think the chase for 4k will end either parties' interest in fighting with the Switch.

FYI PSP ergonomics were awful. I HATED playing Kingdom Hearts on it. The nubs were just very very awful. But again, such a great fun console with a phenomenal lineup of titles.

Last edited by aofelix, Nov 12, 2017
  16. Pokepicker

Pokepicker GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2015
    Norway
    Is this bussiness lingo for "Might happen. Nintendo seems to be printing Switch consoles."?
    Sorta like how iPods didn't need to play videos, iPhones would never grow passed 3,5" and styluses where a sign of failure?

Or kinda like how the DS was not a replacement for the GB line? And how the 3DS will continue on and on, longside the Switch?

I don't know. It doesn't make much of a difference to me. As I would have no inclination of purchasing a new "psp/vita".
    But saying "no", doesn't always really mean no.

17. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    Yeah, except the Switch is like 10 times more powerful than the Vita @aofelix

18. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    yup 6 years later, for its time the vita was a powerhouse imo on the portable perspective

19. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    I'm banking on bad design. Everyone I knew that owned it had the same problem. Can't all be blessed with tiny hands I guess.

The Vita would have bee alright if they didn't make everything so small.

20. BetaXenon

BetaXenon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2015
    Russia
    Samara, Russia
    Ah, Vita support outside of Asia has been quite bad, especially for Europe. To many people forced to create Asian accounts to just have ability to download dlc for JRPG and receive new patches for imported games (which is, considering how Vita don't have software/hardware region lock is quite strange policy), notwithstanding how they turned to force "whitelisting" on all internet providers or you can't even login to PSN.
    And I prefer games with worse texture quality every day to game with insanely small texture loading distance and lags, but they keep marketing games as "they have same graphics as PS3 version" and when people complain they answering "whatever, probably it is bad market, people prefer playing mobile games instead of handheald consoles, it's not our fault, it's their why we don't see reason to make vita successor". Good grief.