Sony reaffirms that they do NOT plan to create a Vita successor

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    consoles-psvita-model-2000-black-640px-en.png

With the Nintendo Switch taking the gaming market by storm, it seems like there's a perfect climate for Sony to step in and create a handheld to compete with Nintendo's hybrid, much like they've done in the past, with the PSP and PS Vita. However, Sony Interactive Entertainment's CEO, Andrew House, disagrees, and is quoted as saying the following during an interview with Bloomberg JP.

It seems PlayStation has been adamant about there not being a new PlayStation handheld, as House has been quoted as saying such multiple times. What do you think? Is the handheld market too saturated thanks to the rise of smartphones, or that after the DS and 3DS dominating the PSP and Vita, it's high time that Sony relent and focus on their flagship PS4? Or that Sony is missing out on a huge opportunity?

:arrow: Source

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I like Sony handhelds.
    They fare much better with bigger titles then Nintendo does.
    To bad most of the games are weeb waifu sims ;/

3. europat

europat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2015
    Canada
    I think smartphones / tablet and Nintendo take so much parts in handheld gaming that there not a lot of rooms left for Sony to start something new right now

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Ignoring for a tiny moment that Sony has at least a little interest in the mobile phone/tablet market I am not sure I would phrase it that way. Though I suppose if this is Nintendo doing well that is even sadder than the state of the library and upcoming releases.

I do hope this means we get a mobile phone/tablet with some features aimed at more traditional gaming.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So did they admit they gave up on vita? Cause that what it seem to me. I mean They hardly ever talk about the thing but they still make updates for it. I just wonder why they quit so early. Before it was like vita this and vita that, it was like in 2012, by the time they announced the pstv within a year they just gave up on that. I mean I guess if they have a new strategy they better do something soon. I know some companies having bad flops but they are also persistent in their stuff which is good.

RedBlueGreen likes this.
  6. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    PSP only sold like 80 million you greedy cunts. here take my shirt, my pants. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT !

NO; NOT THE SONIC SOCKS TOO?

Last edited by Flame, Nov 9, 2017
    MaK11-12, Victorum, DarthDub and 3 others like this.
  7. Marioyoshi64

Marioyoshi64 GBATemp's Favorite Random Phantom/Assassin/Senpai

Jun 17, 2017
    United States
    Everywhere
    good 4 dem

8. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner

Basically, no matter how you hit the Vita; IT WONT DAMN DIE!

B4rtj4h likes this.
  9. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Well that‘s not necessarily a bad thing. One handheld less to choose from.

10. eechigoo

eechigoo Gbatemp amphibian

Dec 22, 2016
    Mexico
    tu puta madre ;v
    hmm. SO it's finally dead?

Last edited by eechigoo, Nov 10, 2017
  11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I can see how Sony would be discouraged by the market's response to the Vita - it was as close to a perfect handheld as you could get. Top smartphone specs, great screen, 3G, WiFi and BT connectivity, dual analog sticks, the Vita was awesome. I still can't quite wrap my head around why it failed - its only shortcomings were superficial. It needed support, but it never really got much outside of Japan. Shame, a big shame.

12. rileysrjay

rileysrjay GBAtemp's official vinsclone speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    I loved the Vita, but In a way I'm kind of glad they've decided against it. Assuming Sony had made a hybrid console similar to the switch, I just don't see two hybrid consoles making it in a pre-dominant smartphone gaming world. Glad to see that Sony is focusing its resources on the PS4 and Nintendo is starting to focus its resources on the switch.

SLiV3R likes this.
  13. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    That's exactly what it was. A lack of support in the US and EU markets. With so many games being ports and so few first party games being out (and so few games early on) I think Sony just decided to cut support because of the lack of sales. It's a shame since there are a lot of decent games on it, especially JRPGs. Now if only some of them would get localized sooner.

14. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    Sony probably thinks Remote PS4 play from Xperia phones is adequate.

DarthDub and eechigoo like this.
  15. VinsCool

VinsCool Scrambled Mind

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Aww I would have loved a PSP 3.

SLiV3R, pandavova, BORTZ and 2 others like this.
  16. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I mean, not really on this point. 444mhz max CPU frequency, with the vast majority of games using 333mhz or lower, isn't exactly "top specs" compared to phones from 2012. It's more like "budget smartphone specs". Gotta remember in 2012 we had quad core 1+ghz phones with 1+GB of RAM at the time :P Of course the Vita can use more of that power vs what a smartphone could cuz of potato Android, but even then it's still far from the high end scale, technically speaking. It was basically the "perfect handheld" for the time it was released though, definitely agree on that front.

The main reason the Vita failed is people's incorrect assumption that there was little support outside Japan. The Vita had tons of first party games released for it the first 2-3 years of it's life, they simply failed on the entire marketing aspect of it. Thanks to that, Sony assumed there was no real pull in the western markets, so they focused on making the Vita a PS4 companion rather than it's own handheld. That, coupled with the outrageous memory card prices, is mainly what screwed the pooch for the Vita IMO. Though I wouldn't say it's a "failed" console necessarily, as it has a ton of great games even if you don't like weeb stuff, just an poorly received one.

Gamer4647 and DarthDub like this.
  17. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Vita cards.

18. fgghjjkll

fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

GBAtemp Patron
    fgghjjkll is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2008
    Games and Memory Cards. The lineup for Western markets was pretty poor and the library didn't get any better. Using proprietary memory cards that cost an arm and leg pretty much killed any potential it had.

19. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell
    They failed to support their own platform and then say there is no market for handhelds. It's like they live in a parallel universe where the Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS and Switch don't exist.

20. Gizametalman

Gizametalman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    Sony does what Nintenwon't.
    :creep:

:rofl2: