Sony reaffirms that they do NOT plan to create a Vita successor

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 9, 2017.

1. rileysrjay

rileysrjay GBAtemp's official vinsclone speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    Well, in a way Nintendo did make a downgrade with the 2ds, but at least they were highly strategic with it and the price point of it unlike the Vita revision. The newer Vita models look pretty plasticy and childish as well imo. Even if Sony had done a good job with the revision I still think the Vita wouldn't have done that well; it still needed that first party support from Sony and some good third party support too and it had a limp leg from the start in the form of the proprietary cards.

2. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    hay now, the hatsune miku games are realy good rythm games, though I suppose one mans trash is another mans treasure

ThoD likes this.
  3. Hyborix3

Hyborix3 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    Shame, a hybrid PS4 portable console is the only thing I wouldn't mind from them as they have a nice library of games/ indies on it. Then again they don't really knew how to sell the Vita handheld with the overpriced memory card, little marketing and lack of first party. Even the Vita TV was a mess...

4. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    I think it speaks a lot about Sony that they still support the vita with updates and it is still getting a trickle of games consistently. People who keep demanding Sony "admit the vitas dead" and cut off support for it just come across as imbeciles to me. Isn't it a good thing that they are supporting a device people invested in for far longer than anyone would expect?

Anyway I fully agree with @Foxi4 that it is a fucking crying shame the vita didn't have a better run. It would have benefited everyone if it was more successful. It was a perfectly designed gaming machine and in my opinion makes the original 3DS look like a piece of badly designed trash in comparison in practically every respect.

5. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Canada
    It still amazes me how sturdy the vita is. Imagine if all consumer electronics were that durable.

6. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    "We do not see potential in the handheld market."

Translation:

We screwed it really big with the Vita, we're afraid of even trying it again.

The Vita is a great handheld for sure, but on the hands of that crap brand owner it got reduced to what all user with a firmware > 3.60 have on their hands.

Most are crap games, depending on an anime for their existence. Even though I like anime, don't like crap games based on them. Even so, that most of those games were third party, that crap brand owner created just more crap as games to try to compete with other handhelds.

And I agree, that crap brand owner's plans are to get only "refurbished" games from old consoles, nothing new on sight, nothing really innovative from them.

And no, VR gaming is not the future.

Subtle Demise and Hyborix3 like this.
  7. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Fully agree. Just annoyed about how miserably Vita failed than feeling the need for a new Sony handheld gaming console. Even the New 3DS ain't that good design. How they hide the memory card slot is annoying. New 2DS XL has the best design doesn't match Vita 1000's feel. If only Vita were a success, it would have benefited gamer more, as that would mean the future handheld need to step up big time given Vita's spec potential was very high.

Last edited by tivu100, Nov 10, 2017
  8. ThoD

ThoD GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Let's all be honest here, compared to how great the PSP was, the Vita was so bad it was the Sony equivalent of the WiiU! It hardly got any decent titles, TOO many security fixes and even the interface was kinda annoying to name some issues. At least they can now focus on the main PS series more and improve it enough to warrant a purchase:P Not saying that Vita was all bad though, it had quite a nice backwards compatibility, allowed for a lot of control in games and was comfortable to hold, but that was pretty much it.

9. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    they beat Netflix to the punch....still gonna make less subscribers, I bet. At least from the people I know.

10. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    3ds aside.

While I agree with wishing it did better, it seems handhelds "step up big time" despite the hardships of the Vita.

11. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Whether or not Sony has intentions of releasing a similar hybrid system, I wouldn't expect them to announce so until a product is nearly finalized, and until then they'd just deny that such a device is even in development. So i just take a claim like this with a grain of salt these days.

12. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Hmm. But if they're not planning to marketing for the new console while the current handheld console looks like dead beaten, then it would take years if we look at how Nintendo handles Switch situation. They had New 3DS generation selling well. They didn't go out their way to shoot down NX rumor for the sake of 3DS. They just found a way to smooth thing out with NX was rumored as a hybrid console to with main aim to replace dead beaten Wii U. Even when Switch portability was confirmed, 3DS was backed to get more games.

The way Sony acts, it doesn't sound good marketing wise. Taking their word literally, it sounds depressing for the handheld gaming scene.

Last edited by tivu100, Nov 10, 2017
  13. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    But i wouldn't expect them to announce a new device that isn't finalized or a done deal at this point. I'm sure at the very least they're doing some R&D right now to determine whether they should give such a device a go, and if they did what that might look like. Just because they're probably looking into it, is no guarantee that anything would ever come from it. As such right now, the best thing to do would say that they have no plans for such a device. And then should things progress and they decide that they should move beyond research and prototyping, then that would be a much more logical time to start teasing that such a device may be on its way.

14. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    It's ok Sony makes money mostly from selling AAA releases like BF, CoD and FIFA to people who don't have a gaming PC and Vita won't allow that so from a financial standpoint the decision to withdraw from the handheld market makes sense.

15. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    They plan on making a PSP successor ;) Wording.

It'll happen. I'm sure of it. And when it does I'll be SO ready.

16. rileysrjay

rileysrjay GBAtemp's official vinsclone speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    Don't think so, if we're judging off what the representative said:
    “The Nintendo Switch is a hybrid device, thus it has a completely different strategy from the PlayStation,” House said. “We are focusing our attention on making products that can be played in the living room. We do not see big potential in the handheld market.”

17. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    I agree

DinohScene likes this.
  18. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Sony reaffirms their business level incompetence.

julialy, DarthDub, Pluupy and 2 others like this.
  19. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    literally the whole selling point if the PS4 was that it was the most powerful console ever, but with the XbOX that is no longer true. I think finding a way to portableize the PS4 (with backwards compatibility) should be heavily considered at least, unless they think they can win the graphics race that has already passed the point of diminishing returns. They seem to be doubling down on vr, not sure how that will go.

if anyone comes out with a true Sword Art Online esque thing it will probably be Sony. They might be researching direct neural interfacing now.

Last edited by Futurdreamz, Nov 10, 2017
    DarthDub likes this.
  20. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    Sony could just upgrade Vita. Take some inspiration on the Switch. Use the latest OLED tech or high refresh rate IPS. And they're good to go. Heck, they could just re-use the OS on PS4 but repurpose for the handheld or something. Get some exclusives like what they did on God of War on the PSP. They have enough exclusives to create some spin-off or milk some franchises.

I was loving the exclusives on the Vita including, Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars, Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance, etc. and some ports were freakin' cool as hell. Too bad they just declared the Vita a legacy which didn't help at all. They didn't even give it a chance. They could've refreshed it like what Nintendo does with upgraded CPU, more buttons :lol:, etc. Declaring it a legacy console while some games are still coming is a kick in the nuts to the devs and publishers. That's bad marketing. You see Nintendo is still telling us that the Switch won't replace the 3DS. We all know it will in due time. It's a slow transition as there are still a lot of 3DS owners out there. Just like what the GBA to DS to 3DS was.

They should've learned from there mistakes and not give up. They sure make one hell of a console. Then again, if they won't make a handheld anymore, I hope we'll get to see some of their IP on the Switch. :rofl2: