Sony reaffirms that they do NOT plan to create a Vita successor

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 9, 2017.

1. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA

This video is highly relevant right now.

WhiteMaze likes this.
  2. BARNWEY

BARNWEY Legen-wait for it-dary

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    Imagination
    The Switch is kind of hard to compete with....

3. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Well, if they were to take some inspiration from the Switch, this PSV2/PS4P would have the exact same games as the PS4. Not just spin-offs.

4. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    Probably, but it would be a crappy version of the PS4 game as the PS4 console itself is too powerful. There would a lot of compromises unless ported properly. Might as well make some good exclusives. Streaming it on the handheld would sound so much better. A better little brother for the PS4 I'd say. A cheaper one like around 200-250. Like I said, just an upgraded Vita would suffice, better streaming connectivity support if you want to play PS4 games and complete buttons this time. :rofl2: Just wishful thinking.

5. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Support goes both ways. You need developer/publisher support to make compelling software, but the platform needs to reward those developers/publishers with high sales if the content is good. Killzone mercenaries -- a great game -- got killed in sales, as an example. It could have easily sold 5x that amount at $60 retail with the added benefit of cheap disc media, if they had went with PS3/4.

Another problem: vita AAA games require PS3 budgets to produce the graphics level people expect, but can only charge handheld prices. Bad business model. Sure you can make indie style games for cheap but you have phones for that.

The 3ds survived because people needed it to play Nintendo games.
    The Vita didn't have that luxury. They needed 3rd parties to make impressive games but they jumped to the phone market instead (or PS3/PS4 for AAA) -- where the real money is and less risk.

Last edited by zoogie, Nov 10, 2017
    DrkBeam and Snitzle like this.
  6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    hehehe they can't compete against the switch

7. Polopop123

Polopop123 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 21, 2017
    Ireland
    Those would’ve been a perfect time to get in and do it again. The could’ve learned so many things from the Psvita and what not to do, and a lot from the Switch

8. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    They have confirmed now that they can't beat the Switch/3DS. So they focus all on beating the Xbox to a pulp?

9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    which won't be hard to do when it has no exclusives :creep:

DaMan likes this.
  10. Retinal_FAILURE

Retinal_FAILURE GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    The Nintendo Switch is a hybrid device, thus it has a completely different strategy from the PlayStation. We are focusing our attention on products that can specifically be played from the living room. We do not see potential in the handheld market.

Sony will probly make a handheld outside of the PlayStation line. He's just saying PS will remain home. New name new marketing strategy. How many people saw American Pie 3 compared to American Pie? PsP Vita 3 just sounds a little complex. It might appeal to an alien, but for marketing it's a disaster, and they'd be creamed. If it doesn't sound right there not going to produce it. They'll probly open up mobile gaming to a upgraded and better quality. Imagine after that we'll [robky see a VR phone. Hands free, pocket free. Sony in my lifetime has made great quality electronics at prices that arent astronomical compared to competitors, but if you were to tell me Tiffany's, Leica, or Ferrari were going to make a handheld to compete with Nintendo, then I might have to start doubting a delivery. This seems like step one in a Sony hype game, taken from the Nintendue and Microsots handbooks.

11. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    Xbox one x just beat the PS4 to a pulp :)

12. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    Thank you for this post! Good 'ol times

Dr.Hacknik likes this.
  13. Snitzle

Snitzle Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2017

It's gutting but I feel like they could have kept it alive if they wanted. It's like they put it out, had a bit of trouble and decided to not even bother which is insane considering the investment. I'm glad I like JP games because I get some use of out of it but it's a damn shame because I think it's the best quality handheld that's been released so far.

14. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    This is also a good point. Best they could do right now is match 720p for a portable, and that'd probably even require similar internals. Of course, their sales history with portables and Nintendo's established portable base can't be overlooked, either.

15. ThoD

ThoD GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    The problem isn't that Nintendo has established a better base for portable systems, it's that Sony hardly ever takes any risks these days. Reason the Vita failed so miserably is because they were too afraid to invest in it since it was a gamble, so they ended up losing even without bothering with it! If Sony takes a big risk and brings something good, powerful, easy to program/develop for and original with a nice selection of games at launch, of course it's gonna go well.

16. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    hardware wise, sure. But game wise?

Bladexdsl likes this.
  17. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    this is a GREAT newz, FROM NOW ON all weeb games will move to nintendo's handhelds! And Steam too!

Ryccardo and ThoD like this.
  18. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 16, 2013
    Portugal
    Apparently Sony's version of "potential in the handheld market", is selling 16 GB memory cards for $60.

VinsCool, ThoD, Xzi and 4 others like this.
  19. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Depends on which model you mean. The original is bulky and higher quality than the slim model, which has cheaper plastic.

If anyone is buying a console for power, you're already doing it wrong.

20. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I get to save my money? Good.