[Release] 3DS Simple CIA Converter

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Riku, Mar 20, 2015.

1. mckenziesdaddy

mckenziesdaddy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    York,PA
    So does that mean I can generate a xorpads on my N3DSXL and install the CIA on my O3DSXL, And the CIA will boot like normal and not cause any bricking?

2. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    yes

3. mckenziesdaddy

mckenziesdaddy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    York,PA
    Thank you, New to the scene and learning the ropes.

4. EliteGamer105

EliteGamer105 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2014
    United States
    boot.firm, New Jersey
    What do you mean by that? Like converting a .3ds to .cxi to .cia? Or decrypting a
    cxi then inputting partition 2 into the decrypted files from the .cxi into the same folder to rebuild it into a .3ds then to a .cia?

Or am I just overthinking this? Will decrypting a .cxi & modding the contents, then rebuilding it into a .3ds, then converting it into a .cia would work? xD Sorry if I said too much. Lol

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    A cxi is partition 0 of a (standard executable application's) 3ds/cia
    Partition 1 is conventionally the digital manual, 2 is the application to be distrbuted for download play
    So you must be sure to extract and reinsert partition 2 too for download play to work!

By the way, no need to build .3ds and convert to cia, makerom can create cia directly

6. EliteGamer105

Jun 15, 2014
    United States
    boot.firm, New Jersey
    ok. Would I need to have devkitpro and python 2.7 still installed? I never used makerom before. I tried to use it before, but it was too confusing back then to understand how it works.

EDIT: I meant to say local multiplayer, not download play. I forgot to mention that difference. Sorry...

Last edited by EliteGamer105, Jan 16, 2017
  7. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    MikeHawke likes this.
  8. EliteGamer105

Jun 15, 2014
    United States
    boot.firm, New Jersey
    Hey. I know this was a while ago, but I knew what the problem was. I was converting my mods using an outdated method. I built my mods into a .3ds then used 3ds simple cia converter to convert into a .cia file. Fortunately, everything works when I press "CR" using Asia81's hacking tools to convert my mods STRAIGHT into a decrypted .cia file. I then reencrypt the cia by using decrypt9, then finally install it using FBI. I tested this out and works 100%. I basically installed Mario Kart 7, but with a modified title ID. Instead of it ending in 30800, I changed it to end in 36900. xD Also I renamed the CTR code from CTR-P-AMKE to CTR-P-EDMK (EDMK being Edited Mario Kart) :P

Sorry if any of the title ID endings or CTR game ID endings are against the rules here for GBATemp. :(

Last edited by EliteGamer105, Jan 21, 2017
  9. jamespoo

jamespoo GBAtemp Fan

Mar 4, 2011
    New Zealand
    Auckland
    thanks man

10. Master_Jorn

Master_Jorn Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    Netscape
    This Looks quite nice, might try this at some point :).

11. EliteGamer105

Jun 15, 2014
    United States
    boot.firm, New Jersey
    Are u sure dude? If you scroll up, I had download play issues making .cia files from that program. I would recommend you use Asia81 3ds hack tools to decrypt, do whatever, and then encrypt it back into a .cia format. Download play doesn't break for some games like Mario Kart 7 for this method. Also don't forget to NCCH encrypt your decrypted cia in decrypt9 BEFORE installing using FBI! I personally find this method to work better and save time rather than doing 2 steps that can be put into one. Not forcing you obviously to do this, but I would highly recommend it. :D

P.S. press "CR" for reencryption. For the major and minor version thingys, unless known, I just press enter without typing anything in. Just another helpful tip I found.

Last edited by EliteGamer105, Feb 16, 2017
  12. Franc1s

Franc1s Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2016
    The converter always says that there's no 3DS roms in the folders when there is, what do I do?

13. Rourke

Rourke Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2014
    Netherlands
    I was wondering. Are there any benefits of converting a 3DS file to a CIA this way to just downloading a CIA of the internet? For example: are you less detectable by Nintendo with this method?

14. Pol74698

Pol74698 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2016
    Italy
    With a custom firmware, using .CIAs you can install whichever game you wish.

Rourke likes this.
  15. Maxichips

Maxichips Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2017
    Cote d'Ivoire
    IDK
    What´s that, a dragon penguin?

16. shinyrocara98

shinyrocara98 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Hey guys, I don't have access to an PC for the next 3-5 months so I have to do all with my Android phone. But now I want to covert MHXX from .3ds to . CIA without an PC, so is this possible ?

I'm going to attach the file so soon as possible

Gesendet von meinem FRD-L09 mit Tapatalk

17. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    Im wondering if I can convert a .3DS ROM to a CIA file with my PC only? Or do I have to convert with my 3ds?

18. Gow supremo

Gow supremo I am playing my 2ds

Jan 24, 2016
    Spain
    In the earth
    You need a xorpads generated with decrypt9 or hourglass.
    And put the xordpads in xorpads folder and .3ds rom in roms folder.
    The rom need heave encrypted.

SLiV3R likes this.
  19. iCEQB

iCEQB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 2, 2013
    United States
    @Riku now that all the keys from the bootrom are known, will you update your converter to automatically decrypt a .3ds file and convert it to a CIA?

Here is a xorpad generator written in python from back in the day when the keyscrambler got figured out. It should work with all the keys now:

https://pastebin.com/K3pVsnkq

I don't even know if xorpads are required anymore, since on the 3ds you can use on of d0k3s tool to decrypt an entire .3ds file. This should now also be possible on a PC.

Last edited by iCEQB, May 20, 2017
  20. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    this tool will likely not be getting updates anytime soon.
    I think the better choice is to go with a converter that supports using the bootrom keys instead of one that still relies on xorpads.

Zidapi likes this.