Luma3DS installed...how to play .3ds files?

marqus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi there,

I successfully installed Luma3ds following the 3ds.hacks.guide completely! I have a bunch of .3ds files. Am I right that the only way (and the common way) is to use Godmode9 to convert .3ds to .cia and then use FBI to install the game? I tried Super Smash Bros. Converting worked fine. Took 6 minutes. Then I used FBI to install the .cia file, took 18 minutes...and used 1.7Gb space on SD card.

Am I right, that it is not as easy as on my PSP, where I just put rom files in a certain folder an "run" them?

What formatting options does the SD card need to have? When trying to copy Donkey Kong, it would not wor since it is 4gb in size...

Any easy way to just play 3ds games would be very nice.

thankx alot,
Marqus

marqus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know, but I was wondering if this is the only way to play .3Ds files. Converting a game file is a time consuming process.

Can I use extFAT SD cards in the 3DS?

So, just having a folder with .3Ds files in it won’t work?

Thx

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, but I was wondering if this is the only way to play .3Ds files. Converting a game file is a time consuming process.
Converting them is the only way other than a flash card. You can also redownload all of the .3ds games as .cia games and just install those with FBI.
Can I use extFAT SD cards in the 3DS?
No. FAT32 only.
So, just having a folder with .3Ds files in it won’t work?
No. The 3DS is not the same as Citra.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FWIW, you can install cia files on pc with custom-install with much better speed, but you'd still need to convert those ".3ds" files, unless you chose to download them as ".cia" files without any conversion.

Reactions: E1ite007

That1LoserGuy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cannot run .3ds files on a 3ds without external hardware. (believe me. I asked too!) However, it can be done with a flashcart (external hardware), or you could just use gm9 to convert it to a .cia so you can install it to your home menu
Post automatically merged:

And if you are having a low storage issue, just get a new sd card, (I recommend a 32 gigabyte one for fewer games, a 64 gigabyte one for quite a few games, or a 128 gigabyte one for a bunch of games.) Besides, more modern cards have faster read/write speeds, and if you are still using the card that came with your console, it may be coming close to the end of it's write cycles, (best to get a new card before the old one dies) and buying a new one is not too expensive either, and if you buy a SanDisk card it usually comes with an adapter too!

Last edited by That1LoserGuy,

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You cannot run .3ds files on a 3ds without external hardware. (believe me. I asked too!) However, it can be done with a flashcart (external hardware), or you could just use gm9 to convert it to a .cia so you can install it to your home menu

Dude, we're explaining that recent versions of godmode9 can install 3ds files same as cia. No need for conversion. 3ds can't be run as is, sure, you need a gateway/stargate/sky flashcart for that, but can be installed directly.

marqus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you all. Ok, I am going with .cia files directly downloaded (or converted in godmode). Still do not know what a gateway/stargate/sky flash card is...
No problem though. I am using a 16gb no name sd card that works quite well at the moment. But I do have a very nooby noob question:

The 3ds has 2gb internal storage, right? When I plug in my sd card, choose FBI to install the .cia game file, WHERE is it being installed to? To that tiny storage? Can I use a large SD card to extend the internal memory, so that the 3ds "thinks" it is all its own storage?

besides, several games wont work at all. Donky Kong is to large to be installed (more that 2gb I think), Mario Paper Jam does not work, Mario Sticker can be installed, is shown on home menu but ends in "An error occured" with the need of a reboot.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem though. I am using a 16gb no name sd card that works quite well at the moment.
I strongly advise against using that, get one from a reputable brand and always check it with h2testw to make sure it's not an sd card with fake storage capacity.
The 3ds has 2gb internal storage, right?
Iirc it's only 1gb..
When I plug in my sd card, choose FBI to install the .cia game file, WHERE is it being installed to?
Your 3ds games will be installed on the sd card. The fact that you have fbi installed means you already have an "sd card" so..
To that tiny storage?
No. That's only reserved to system apps, system fw, and DSiWare games.
Can I use a large SD card to extend the internal memory, so that the 3ds "thinks" it is all its own storage?
No, all 3ds's have only one sd card slot, so that's the only way of "expanding storage"..
besides, several games wont work at all. Donky Kong is to large to be installed (more that 2gb I think), Mario Paper Jam does not work, Mario Sticker can be installed, is shown on home menu but ends in "An error occured" with the need of a reboot.
Why use a 2gb sd card? You should go for big enough storage on your sd card, get one that suits your needs. Or were you talking about internal storage on the 3ds (not the sd card)? If so, no, you can't install 3ds games on it, only on the sd card.

marqus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks, sorry, I meant that Donky Kongy .cia file is about 1.7gb or more in size. Can you tell me the game's installation folder on the sd card?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, sorry, I meant that Donky Kongy .cia file is about 1.7gb or more in size.
Doesn't matter what game it is or how big it is, it can & will be installed on the sd card, if it's big enough to hold it.
Can you tell me the game's installation folder on the sd card?
Your cia game files go to the "cias" folder here sd:/cias, then fbi will install your 3ds games to the "Nintendo 3ds" folder on the root of the sdcard.
Check this for more info.

That1LoserGuy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, we're explaining that recent versions of godmode9 can install 3ds files same as cia. No need for conversion. 3ds can't be run as is, sure, you need a gateway/stargate/sky flashcart for that, but can be installed directly.
Oh, I didn't know about that gm9 feature, but I was right about .3ds files not being runnable without installation or external hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto