Homebrew Help with 3DS homebrew: SD card seems to be partially corrupted

randomword

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Azerbaijan
I'm at a loss for what to do here. This is basically what happened:

• I'm using the latest version of Luma3DS (v12.0).

• Installed the 3DS port of the RSDKv5-Decompilation as a CIA.

• It worked at one point, but seemed to become corrupted after dumping the DSP firmware via the Luma3DS menu. The logo appeared when putting the cursor on it in the 3DS menu, but no title or sound, and it gave an error when trying to start, something about the SD card not being inserted (which wasn't true obviously).

• Went into Data Management in the 3DS system menu and it seemed to appear as blank and taking up 0 blocks. I attempted to delete it and after about 30 seconds or so it said it couldn't be deleted.

• Went back to 3DS home menu, showing the default white theme and all of my data not showing up.

• Inserted SD card into computer, still says that there's only about 5 GB left, which is how it was before, so I assumed there was no data loss. However, trying to enter most of the folders gives a File I/O error.

• Re-insert SD card to find that most of the folders and files are now gone. All that remains is the GM9 folder, the Luma boot files, and one extdata folder in the Nintendo 3DS folder.

• Run chkdsk which claims there are no errors but creates a 23 GB folder on the root of the SD card called FOUND.000, consisting of around 1500 files titled FILE(number).CHK.

• Attempted using programs such as EaseUS Data Recover, which mostly recovered a bunch of files with no filenames. The only discernible thing it could recover where the photos I took with the camera app (which are no longer readable by the 3DS due to the missing MPO files and the filenames being scrambled).

So now I basically have just the previously mentioned folders/files and that FOUND.000 folder on my SD card. Very strange that seemingly only part of the SD card became corrupt.

I'm guessing I'm pretty much screwed, but I figured I'd try posting here to see if anyone has any ideas. Pretty sad that I still have several GB of data on the card with seemingly no way to get it in a readable state.

Last edited by randomword,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you have a backup, use that. if you don't, then I'm afraid there may be nothing you can do. you should check the card with h2testw. it will require the card to be empty though, so at this point, there's probably nothing to lose.

randomword

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Azerbaijan
if you have a backup, use that. if you don't, then I'm afraid there may be nothing you can do. you should check the card with h2testw. it will require the card to be empty though, so at this point, there's probably nothing to lose.

I thought I had made a backup about a year ago (wouldn't have lost too much as I rarely play my 3DS these days) but it's not on my computer, so I guess I didn't. Otherwise I just would've used that.

Checking h2testw now.

Edit: I'm running h2testw, but I sadly don't think it will help, as it only seems to check the SD card for errors. I have plenty of SD cards so that isn't a problem. I'm more concerned with getting the data in a readable state, though I'm starting to feel more confident that it's a lost cause and I should just start from scratch.

• Wow
Reactions: godreborn

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Run chkdsk which claims there are no errors but creates a 23 GB folder on the root of the SD card called FOUND.000, consisting of around 1500 files titled FILE(number).CHK.
Chkdsk tries to restore data inside corrupted sectors and creates a found.000 folder where those fragments will be stored. Those data fragements can be tryed to recover by unCHK. Then the sector will be blacklisted and replaced with reserve sector. By 23 GB restored data from bad sectors it indicates the card/drive is dying.
Powershell command chkdsk <driveletter>: /r . It will check and repair the filesystem (logical errors) and also corrupt written sektors (physical errors) and restores readable information by replacing them with reserve sectors.
  • Depended on file amount, it takes ~1 h per 100gb data to complete.
  • Alternative: Run chkdsk <driveletter>: /f for only filesystem error check on your drive.
  • Chkdsk will create a folder FOUND.000 with restored fragments of corrupted data and normaly can erased. If really really important information would be in it, it could be tryed to extrakt them with small chance with unCHK .
After running chkdsk which corrected the filesystem and reallocated bad sectors, h2testw with its write and read test will usually not find any errors.

randomword

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Azerbaijan
it will check the condition of the sd card. I don't think it's just to determine if it's fake or not.

I know, I'm saying I'm not really concerned about the condition of the card since I can just use another one.

Anyway, I ran h2testw and this is what it said:
Code:
Warning: Only 30507 of 30508 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
29.7 GByte OK (62477718 sectors)
309 KByte DATA LOST (618 sectors)
Details:309 KByte overwritten (618 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
0 KByte corrupted (0 sectors)
309 KByte aliased memory (618 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x000000043c0b2c00
Expected: 0x000000043c0b2c00
Found: 0x000000043c0b3000
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 21.4 MByte/s
Reading speed: 42.7 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Chkdsk tries to restore data inside corrupted sectors and creates a found.000 folder where those fragments will be stored. Those data fragements can be tryed to recover by unCHK. Then the sector will be blacklisted and replaced with reserve sector. By 23 GB restored data from bad sectors it indicates the card/drive is dying.

After running chkdsk which corrected the filesystem and reallocated bad sectors, h2testw with its write and read test will usually not find any errors.

The only unCHK programs I could find are several decades old and seem to only recover files of a specific type, none of which are 3DS save files, and they don't restore the folder structure either.

randomword

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Azerbaijan
I'm just gonna redownload all of my games and start new with the save data. Thanks for the help.

My advice to anyone finding this thread in the future: Back up your SD card often (lol). The warning signs were there, I just ignored them and thought everything would be fine. But you can never be too safe.

AdmiralBloo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just gonna redownload all of my games and start new with the save data. Thanks for the help.

My advice to anyone finding this thread in the future: Back up your SD card often (lol). The warning signs were there, I just ignored them and thought everything would be fine. But you can never be too safe.

I got this issue and managed to fix it. So my problem was, I downloaded a bunch of games and one of them was corrupted.
I tried deleting but it end up not displaying any titles at all apart from TM++

Here's what I did.
I take out the micro sd card and put in my computer then right click on the card and select "properties", go to "tools" then repair sd card.

When this is finished, you need to go to titles, so on your sd card go into your "Nintendo 3DS folder" until you see the folders called "titles" and delete the broken file (the corrupted title folder has been repaired into a file) and delete that file. The file is usually at the end of folders of titles list.

Now it should work, take out your sd card and plug it back in the 3DS.

May God Bless everyone in Jesus name :)

Pokert

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got this issue and managed to fix it. So my problem was, I downloaded a bunch of games and one of them was corrupted.
I tried deleting but it end up not displaying any titles at all apart from TM++

Here's what I did.
I take out the micro sd card and put in my computer then right click on the card and select "properties", go to "tools" then repair sd card.

When this is finished, you need to go to titles, so on your sd card go into your "Nintendo 3DS folder" until you see the folders called "titles" and delete the broken file (the corrupted title folder has been repaired into a file) and delete that file. The file is usually at the end of folders of titles list.

Now it should work, take out your sd card and plug it back in the 3DS.

May God Bless everyone in Jesus name :)
after i repaired my sd card i tried to find the corrupted file in the nintendo 3ds folder but i only see uncorrupted ones

wilburie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm at a loss for what to do here. This is basically what happened:

• I'm using the latest version of Luma3DS (v12.0).

• Installed the 3DS port of the RSDKv5-Decompilation as a CIA.

• It worked at one point, but seemed to become corrupted after dumping the DSP firmware via the Luma3DS menu. The logo appeared when putting the cursor on it in the 3DS menu, but no title or sound, and it gave an error when trying to start, something about the SD card not being inserted (which wasn't true obviously).

• Went into Data Management in the 3DS system menu and it seemed to appear as blank and taking up 0 blocks. I attempted to delete it and after about 30 seconds or so it said it couldn't be deleted.

• Went back to 3DS home menu, showing the default white theme and all of my data not showing up.

• Inserted SD card into computer, still says that there's only about 5 GB left, which is how it was before, so I assumed there was no data loss. However, trying to enter most of the folders gives a File I/O error.

• Re-insert SD card to find that most of the folders and files are now gone. All that remains is the GM9 folder, the Luma boot files, and one extdata folder in the Nintendo 3DS folder.

• Run chkdsk which claims there are no errors but creates a 23 GB folder on the root of the SD card called FOUND.000, consisting of around 1500 files titled FILE(number).CHK.

• Attempted using programs such as EaseUS Data Recover, which mostly recovered a bunch of files with no filenames. The only discernible thing it could recover where the photos I took with the camera app (which are no longer readable by the 3DS due to the missing MPO files and the filenames being scrambled).

So now I basically have just the previously mentioned folders/files and that FOUND.000 folder on my SD card. Very strange that seemingly only part of the SD card became corrupt.

I'm guessing I'm pretty much screwed, but I figured I'd try posting here to see if anyone has any ideas. Pretty sad that I still have several GB of data on the card with seemingly no way to get it in a readable state.

Is the SD formatted to FAT32? 3DS(s) can only read that file recognition type.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto