3ds luma corrupted SD card help!

The_toked_cavalier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently modded my 3ds. My SD card appears to be corrupted. Every I place my SD card into my PC that is running Windows 10, it keeps telling me that it has a problem, and it needs to format my SD card. Now when I look on my 3ds under data management, everything looks fine. It doesn't show that it is corrupted. I have a new SD card on its way. How do I transfer my data i.e. games, my luma and other files without losing everything? I am using a new 3ds Xl and it's my baby. If anyone has any ideas, please tell me.

The_toked_cavalier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, your saying ignore what Windows is saying and format my 64gb card then just copy and paste to the new card and all will be well. That is a possibility and I was hoping someone would say that :). I was scared because Windows would not let me add any more .cia files to the 32GB card I have now. If that will work that would be awesome :). See when I add .cia files to the CIAS folder I get a error message it shows the data on the card but when I try to install it with FBI it rejects it. Also like I said the 3ds itself reads the card fine and it can even download games from the hshop and it works.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please don't cross-post in multiple threads at once. That will fragment answers and make helping you difficult.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-2ds-corrupt-sd-card.642220/#post-10302187
https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.359035/page-2677#post-10302190
My SD card appears to be corrupted. Every I place my SD card into my PC that is running Windows 10, it keeps telling me that it has a problem, and it needs to format my SD card.
If you can't mount the SD on your computer it might be difficult to impossible to backup files now. You should avoid any write attempt to the SD.

Basically, your saying ignore what Windows is saying and format my 64gb card then just copy and paste to the new card and all will be well. That is a possibility and I was hoping someone would say that
??? I don't really understand. Can you open the SD under Windows or not? If not, how to do copy+paste?
SDs (cheap and expensive ones) corrupt and fail from one moment to another for no reason. Frequent backups are mandatory if important data is stored on them.

Also like I said the 3ds itself reads the card fine
Extracting the data with the 3DS, maybe copying via FTP is an option, but it is anything but stable. And it is very slow. Again, any write attempt to a partially corrupted SD can cause further damage. At the very least you should try to copy the SD on sector level with a computer.

Good luck and have fun!

The_toked_cavalier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please don't cross-post in multiple threads at once. That will fragment answers and make helping you difficult.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-2ds-corrupt-sd-card.642220/#post-10302187
https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.359035/page-2677#post-10302190

If you can't mount the SD on your computer it might be difficult to impossible to backup files now. You should avoid any write attempt to the SD.

??? I don't really understand. Can you open the SD under Windows or not? If not, how to do copy+paste?
SDs (cheap and expensive ones) corrupt and fail from one moment to another for no reason. Frequent backups are mandatory if important data is stored on them.

Extracting the data with the 3DS, maybe copying via FTP is an option, but it is anything but stable. And it is very slow. Again, any write attempt to a partially corrupted SD can cause further damage. At the very least you should try to copy the SD on sector level with a computer.

Good luck and have fun!
Are you saying I should do a data back up on my 3ds. I plan on trying that I cleared away same game files to where I have 3.4 GB free. I might try to do a data back up. Then when my new card arrives I might copy and paste that sd card to my PC. These seem like feasible ideas I will try it and see what happens but first I need my new SD card. Yes I can open the card and see the files. Windows tries to scan and fix my card. Also Windows wont let me add new .cia files it says there is an error on my storage device. I will let you all know the outcome.
Post automatically merged:

Someone asked me above. Ok when I put my SD card in my PC. The PC tries to scan and fix my SD card. After I put my SD card in my 3ds my 3ds says its fine and can play games. My 3ds seems normal. However my PC says there is a problem with the SD

Last edited by The_toked_cavalier,

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you saying I should do a data back up on my 3ds.

That's what it sounds like to me. You should back up your SD card. Here's a utility that might help you back up that SD card which I've seen posted on here a few times:

https://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29

It's an error checking/correcting copier. I would then get a new SD card, format that to FAT32, and copy those files you backed up to the new SD card and run with that.

Furthermore, always make sure your 3DS is powered off before removing the SD card. Periodically make back ups of that SD card as well. Once every month to two months should be fine if you're just casually using it.

The_toked_cavalier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what it sounds like to me. You should back up your SD card. Here's a utility that might help you back up that SD card which I've seen posted on here a few times:

It's an error checking/correcting copier. I would then get a new SD card, format that to FAT32, and copy those files you backed up to the new SD card and run with that.

Furthermore, always make sure your 3DS is powered off before removing the SD card. Periodically make back ups of that SD card as well. Once every month to two months should be fine if you're just casually using it
First, I would like to say thank you for the advice I really appreciate it. Secondly, should I back up my 3ds using...I think its God_Mode_9 or back it up to my PC? Secondly, I saved all my data from my 32gb card to the PC with no problems. Now if I can get my new SD card formatted and get the old data on we shall be in business :).

Should I back up the 3ds NAND.

Furthermore, always make sure your 3DS is powered off before removing the SD card. Periodically make back ups of that SD card as well. Once every month to two months should be fine if you're just casually using it.
Ok I backed up my system using God_Mode_9. I saved that data to my PC as a contingency plan.

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I backed up my system using God_Mode_9. I saved that data to my PC as a contingency plan.
I'm not talking about the NAND. I mean to copy everything on your 3DS's SD card to your computer. What's on that SD card will only work on that 3DS, but if something happens to your SD card that's in your 3DS, you won't have to start from scratch.

Reactions: Kwyjor

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had some new SD cards that were causing the same problem when using the SD slot on my laptop. But then they worked fine when I used them with an external USB SD card reader plugged into the same laptop. They always worked fine in the 3ds but I still returned them back to Amazon. They were some off-brand micro SD cards.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

The_toked_cavalier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not talking about the NAND. I mean to copy everything on your 3DS's SD card to your computer. What's on that SD card will only work on that 3DS, but if something happens to your SD card that's in your 3DS, you won't have to start from scratch.
Hey anotherthing I have a question I have a clean back up on my computer from when I first put luma on my computer but it has no games on it should I A. use the information I have on my 3ds old card or B. start with my old back up when I first got luma. The pic is my clean back up right after I modded it but it has no games on it. I really dont want to use that though because I lose all my games and save data.
IMG_20231204_121052_053.jpg

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are you saying I should do a data back up on my 3ds. I
That would be very, very tedious and only to be considered when all else fails, but the 3DS mounts the SD.
Again, working on sector level might be still possible on a computer when working on file (system) level fails. I'm by no means an expert on this – data recovery is a very complex topic and there are tons of potential pitfalls and mistakes waiting to be made.

Please clarify what the computer does when inserting the SD. Do you have access to the file system at all? When Microsoft Windows prompts for formatting the drive this is surely a bad sign – file system not detected. Should be obvious to NEVER format when there is still data to salvage.

There is this potential problem as well:
I had some new SD cards that were causing the same problem when using the SD slot on my laptop
Sometimes a card reader goes bad as well… or is fully okay but doesn't like a specific SD. Trying more than one reader (and another adapter if talking about micro-SD in an adapter) is a good idea.

Hey anotherthing I have a question I have a clean back up on my computer from when I first put luma on my computer but it has no games on it should I A. use the information I have on my 3ds old card or B. start with my old back up when I first got luma. The pic is my clean back up right after I modded it but it has no games on it. I really dont want to use that though because I lose all my games and save data.
The standard files can be downloaded at any point. Only thing potentially interesting in that folder is gm9 subfolder. Hopefully a full NAND image and essentials backup is in there (not helpful right now, but you should have it).

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a good thing that you have that back up. I'd still try to back up the card now with the copier I linked you with. If that newer back up doesn't work, you could always fall back to the back up you posted. Honestly, I keep the latest three back ups of all my SD cards just in case.

The_toked_cavalier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK guys the copying from SD card to the PC went well. Now my 64gb sd card is on its way format that bad boi on gui format then copy and paste we will see what we got.

That would be very, very tedious and only to be considered when all else fails, but the 3DS mounts the SD.
Again, working on sector level might be still possible on a computer when working on file (system) level fails. I'm by no means an expert on this – data recovery is a very complex topic and there are tons of potential pitfalls and mistakes waiting to be made.

Please clarify what the computer does when inserting the SD. Do you have access to the file system at all? When Microsoft Windows prompts for formatting the drive this is surely a bad sign – file system not detected. Should be obvious to NEVER format when there is still data to salvage.

There is this potential problem as well:

Sometimes a card reader goes bad as well… or is fully okay but doesn't like a specific SD. Trying more than one reader (and another adapter if talking about micro-SD in an adapter) is a good idea.

The standard files can be downloaded at any point. Only thing potentially interesting in that folder is gm9 subfolder. Hopefully a full NAND image and essentials backup is in there (not helpful right now, but you should have it).
You are right there when it comes to problems on sd cards there are so many possibilities and proclivities for failures. The copying over to the PC went fine. As I was saying below my new 64gb card is here in 40min.

I just read your previous comment and as I was inserting the SD card into the PC Windows alerted me there is a problem in this partition then another window right after recommending me to scan and fix this partition. I was able to copy all of my data to the PC with no failure so it seems data could not come in the SD card but information could come out which I found to be peculiar. Basically, my SD cards information was like a one way street info comes out to the PC but I cant add cia files to the SD card from the PC. This could be a hardware error and from physical damage to the SD card.

Ok copy to new SD card successful! 3ds turns on all data is there.

I am now installing new cia files! fingers crossed :)

Ok that did it. I recovered my data and I am making a backup now I also saved my back up data on my PC :) :) and my sd card was able to have new cia files added to it and FBI accepted them!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto