Nikaia-Repair

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello guys,

I have a (i think) rare issue on an Old 3DS XL. The motherboard seems absolutely fine and is booting perfectly. I was going to try and put luma on it, but a big issue happened ; when I tried to put an SD card inside, the device shuts down. If I try to boot it with SD card inserted, it shuts off with a pop after a few seconds, as if the 3D/sound ribbon or something else was broken. It happens only when the sd card is inserted. I've managed to boot it, go into parameters and then insert the SD without shiutting down, but the everytime the device tries to acces the SD storage it shuts down again.
Luma is not installed at all. The SD card is in fat32 format, and I tried with several ones that are all perfectly working on other devices.
I already changed the SD reader on the board, but the issue is still there.
I did the boot with L + R + Down + B, but won't go up to the Home Menu reboot if the SD is inserted. I did it without SD, but it's still not working.
The device is up to date and I already formatted it to factory settings, but nothing seems to make it work.

Can anyone help me on this issue? It's very strange to me, i've had a lot of these in my hands but it's the 1st time it shows this issue

supershadow64ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like some kind of hardware fault!

Maybe something is shorting out bad in the SD card slot?

edit: my ass cannot read
If you've already replaced the SD reader, maybe the motherboard is faulting out somewhere. Do you have a multimeter? Maybe you could try to trace out where the pins are going to from the motherboard side and see if there are any shorts. Broken traces, spilled liquid, stray metal bits, anything.
Advertisement

Nikaia-Repair

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sounds like some kind of hardware fault!

Maybe something is shorting out bad in the SD card slot?

edit: my ass cannot read
If you've already replaced the SD reader, maybe the motherboard is faulting out somewhere. Do you have a multimeter? Maybe you could try to trace out where the pins are going to from the motherboard side and see if there are any shorts. Broken traces, spilled liquid, stray metal bits, anything.
I've already tried, but it seems everything is fine... I don't get how it is possible. It seems that it's only when the device is trying to access the SD memory, so maybe a faulty CPU or something... but I think it's going to be hard to repair :wacko:
Thanks for your answer :)
Post automatically merged:

h2testw test the card with the card empty, so backup your data first.
I don't get what you said, sorry...

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already tried, but it seems everything is fine... I don't get how it is possible. It seems that it's only when the device is trying to access the SD memory, so maybe a faulty CPU or something... but I think it's going to be hard to repair :wacko:
Thanks for your answer :)
Post automatically merged:

I don't get what you said, sorry...

Test the SD card, if it is faulty it can explain your problems.

Nikaia-Repair

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Test the SD card, if it is faulty it can explain your problems.
I've already tried with several SD cards that are all absolutely fine in other devices, it can't come from it. I've even tried with an empty micro SD adapter which creates the same issue...

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody ever had this issue?
I don't get what could be wrong :cry:
Well my best guess is that you actually didn’t replace it with a working part

Some parts arrive DOA or sometimes something happens during installation

You could also very well have a short somewhere else on the board in the area

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Indeed, once you start tinkering with the internals there are tons of things that can go wrong and it's easy to imagine that you might have done something no one's done before.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it won't boot under any circumstances when an SD card is inserted (especially if it isn't modded) then the SD card reader is most likely fried in some way.
Physically installing the reader would be your best bet. If that doesn't work, then the issue is probably how your 3DS interacts with the SD card (although based on your comments here that doesn't sound likely and would be very unusual if so).

Nikaia-Repair

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well my best guess is that you actually didn’t replace it with a working part

Some parts arrive DOA or sometimes something happens during installation

You could also very well have a short somewhere else on the board in the area
The thing is I took it from another board, which was 100% functional on this side...
Indeed, once you start tinkering with the internals there are tons of things that can go wrong and it's easy to imagine that you might have done something no one's done before.
Yeah, I think I might stop to try to repair it and sell it while telling everything to the buyer :cry:
If it won't boot under any circumstances when an SD card is inserted (especially if it isn't modded) then the SD card reader is most likely fried in some way.
Physically installing the reader would be your best bet. If that doesn't work, then the issue is probably how your 3DS interacts with the SD card (although based on your comments here that doesn't sound likely and would be very unusual if so).
Yeah it seems like it's only when accessing the storage, because i've already inserted it when in parameters, and it shut down only when i was trying to access 3DS softwares or when going back to the main menu...

Thanks to you all for your answers, i'm going to stop trying to repair it, i've already used too much time on this !

Have a nice day everyone :grog:

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is I took it from another board, which was 100% functional on this side...

Yeah, I think I might stop to try to repair it and sell it while telling everything to the buyer :cry:

Yeah it seems like it's only when accessing the storage, because i've already inserted it when in parameters, and it shut down only when i was trying to access 3DS softwares or when going back to the main menu...

Thanks to you all for your answers, i'm going to stop trying to repair it, i've already used too much time on this !

Have a nice day everyone :grog:
Sorry to hear that. 3DS modding is like that sometimes.... I know I've dealt with similar frustrating issues myself in the past. Hopefully you get it figured out. Cheers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo