Homebrew [WIP Release] NetSurf 3DS

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you're indulging in feature requests to any degree, may I ask if this supports captive portals?

One major advantage the o3DS has over the New 3DS is that the New 3DS browser will complain about security when it encounters a captive portal, thereby severely limiting its use at public wifi hotspots. (Of course, with official online features on the verge of shutting down forever, it doesn't really matter anymore.)

Datbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
/share/netsurf should be a folder in a folder containing all the files and folders extracted from resources.zip, which you can download from the releases page. Neither folder exists by default on the 3DS SD card.

This is required since it contains all the default stylesheets for web pages, default pages (like about:welcome, the file browser page, and even the error 404 page), translations of text for different languages, and the root certificates required for HTTPS browsing. Without this, NetSurf will fail to load any webpage whatsoever.

It's basically sdmc:/share/netsurf/ if that makes more sense. It's an absolute path, not relative to the location of nsfb.3dsx.

The easiest way to do it is over FTP, or by plugging the SD card into your PC.

What?

I...what?
I actually figured it out before you replied, just forgot to delete my post. Works pretty great on old 3ds, definitely takes awhile to initially boot up, but doing searches takes not that long at all. I do notice some text gets cut off and some text displays on other text itself. I imagine this is an html problem though since its not using a modern version

Coderman64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually figured it out before you replied, just forgot to delete my post. Works pretty great on old 3ds, definitely takes awhile to initially boot up, but doing searches takes not that long at all. I do notice some text gets cut off and some text displays on other text itself. I imagine this is an html problem though since its not using a modern version
Actually, I think it is primarily a font issue since the built-in font doesn't exactly match the scale of the requested font, and it doesn't auto-rescale to fit. I'll do some more work on supporting TTF fonts soon (which should, in theory, fix that issue).

HTML rendering is actually not an old version. Rather, NetSurf takes some shortcuts to lower the performance requirements, meaning that some web pages get hopelessly mangled. However, in my experience, it does much better than some other ultra-lightweight web browsers (e.g. Dillo, lynx, etc.).

Datbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I think it is primarily a font issue since the built-in font doesn't exactly match the scale of the requested font, and it doesn't auto-rescale to fit. I'll do some more work on supporting TTF fonts soon (which should, in theory, fix that issue).

HTML rendering is actually not an old version. Rather, NetSurf takes some shortcuts to lower the performance requirements, meaning that some web pages get hopelessly mangled. However, in my experience, it does much better than some other ultra-lightweight web browsers (e.g. Dillo, lynx, etc.).
sounds good. Thanks for making this and keeping it great

Florian3000

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
cool
Thanks for the new tool
I'm looking forward to the download function
Will there also be an upload option?
When will the upper screen be added to the program?

Coderman64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cool
Thanks for the new tool
I'm looking forward to the download function
Will there also be an upload option?
When will the upper screen be added to the program?
I don't know if an upload option will be useful at this point. What would you upload? Sites like Google Drive don't even seem to work properly without Javascript.

I'm not sure what to put on the upper screen yet. Maybe some information on connection strength, a clock, etc. I think it'd be rather difficult to scroll the webpage up to the top screen like the system browser does, just based on how NetSurf is designed. I'd like to prioritize other features, anyway.
Post automatically merged:

If you're indulging in feature requests to any degree, may I ask if this supports captive portals?

One major advantage the o3DS has over the New 3DS is that the New 3DS browser will complain about security when it encounters a captive portal, thereby severely limiting its use at public wifi hotspots. (Of course, with official online features on the verge of shutting down forever, it doesn't really matter anymore.)
Sorry, I meant to respond to this earlier. I think this would be hard, given I don't have a captive portal system to test with, and also, you'd probably have to do some hacking around the 3DS's default behavior of requiring a network test before connecting.

There is also the point that captive portal networks are almost always public, low-security networks, which could pose a security risk. For example, there are already hacks for the 3DS's default SSL stack. Even though this app uses MbedTLS instead of the default SSL stack, other applications would still be vulnerable.

The best option for using your 3DS in these environments is to set up a secure network with a direct WiFi connection on your computer or phone, provided you have a WiFi device that supports it.

None of this is to say that I won't support it for security reasons. You should be able to make that determination on your own. It is mostly because it is hard to implement in a reasonable, non-intrusive way.

Last edited by Coderman64,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think this would be hard, given I don't have a captive portal system to test with, and also, you'd probably have to do some hacking around the 3DS's default behavior of requiring a network test before connecting.
From previous experience, the network connection test passes – but the rest of the Internet isn't accessible until you log in to the portal. (Kind of odd, come to think of it.)

Coderman64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From previous experience, the network connection test passes – but the rest of the Internet isn't accessible until you log in to the portal. (Kind of odd, come to think of it.)
Oh. In that case, it might work anyway. Navigate to an http-only site (something like http://detectportal.firefox.com/ ), and it should theoretically redirect to the portal. Assuming the portal isn't JS-heavy (like too much of the internet is these days), you might be able to log in from there and get access to the internet.

Alternatively, your best bet would be to use another device for MAC address spoofing. Essentially, change your other device to have the same MAC address as your 3DS, login to the portal, and then switch the MAC address back. The system should then remember the MAC address and allow your 3DS to go through.

Reactions: Kwyjor

xXjulian068Xx

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I have already done all the process step by step and I have put the resources in the established path, but it does not let me open any web page, even having my 3ds connected to the internet, any solution? I have an O3DSXL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto