Homebrew [POC] Fallout 1 for 3DS

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Looking into the more recently officially added SDL2 support, i thought Fallout 1 was a fun project to look into.

This is a quick and crappy port of fallout 1 to the 3DS.
A wip build is attached here, and source is available on github.

You'll need:

'critter.dat',
'master.dat',
and the 'data' folder,

from the original Fallout game.

And copy to 'sdmc:/3ds/fallout/'

Credits to:
@FtZPetruska for SDL2 support on 3DS
@alexbatalov for fallout1-ce

Download: https://github.com/MrHuu/fallout1-ce-3ds/releases/latest
Source: https://github.com/MrHuu/fallout1-ce-3ds

Last edited by MrHuu,

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Here's an updated build with audio, updated touch controls and the top screen shows an unscaled image based on the touch position.

There's still some issues.
Top screen doesn't have the right aspect right now.
SDL2 touch coordinates may drift when dragging touch input.
Movies run a bit slow, which makes audio hold for the video to catch up.

If you want music, make sure to edit the .cfg based on your fallout data files.
Edit 'fallout.cfg' to match your install, e.g. 'music_path1=data\sound\music\'

Controls are touch only.
- tap = left click
- tap while holding L or R = right click
- tap and hold = left click drag

screenshot.png

edit:
build removed

Last edited by MrHuu,

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Following this and looking forward to more polished builds.

As a wild idea, maybe a rearranged interface should be drawn in the touch screen, while action should be left on top.

Reactions: DrgnMasterKota

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Following this and looking forward to more polished builds.

As a wild idea, maybe a rearranged interface should be drawn in the touch screen, while action should be left on top.

It probably doesn't surprise you i had the same wild idea. But 'm not really sure on how to rearrange exactly.
The whole screen, from playfield to skilltree, bartering to asking about, basically every part has to be accessible by mouse/touch.
So if i split and rearrange the status interface, separate from the playfield, we would still need a way to interact with them both.

Switch the screen around by a button press?
Maybe, keep track of a second mouse on the topscreen, accessible by holding a button while using the touchscreen?

I'm open for suggestions, but i'm having trouble thinking about something streamlined.

Edit:

btw, here's another updated build with the proper topscreen resolution and proper spash screens.
It also allows keyboard input for savefiles and when using the 'ask about' option when talking to someone.

screenshot2.png

edit:
build removed

Last edited by MrHuu,

DrgnMasterKota

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It probably doesn't surprise you i had the same wild idea. But 'm not really sure on how to rearrange exactly.
The whole screen, from playfield to skilltree, bartering to asking about, basically every part has to be accessible by mouse/touch.
So if i split and rearrange the status interface, separate from the playfield, we would still need a way to interact with them both.

Switch the screen around by a button press?
Maybe, keep track of a second mouse on the topscreen, accessible by holding a button while using the touchscreen?

I'm open for suggestions, but i'm having trouble thinking about something streamlined.

Edit:

btw, here's another updated build with the proper topscreen resolution and proper spash screens.
It also allows keyboard input for savefiles and when using the 'ask about' option when talking to someone.

View attachment 393522

This is amazing work! Love to see the 3ds still getting some love with more and more projects popping up. This remains to be one of my favorite handheld systems so I’m happy to support all these amazing projects. Thanks so much for all your hard work! 😁

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm.. i just got a wonderful idea! Since i've been playing duckhunt using qtm, or head-tracking, with retroarch, this has become one of my favorite ways of controlling the 3ds. Why not add this as an option.. then we can just look around the top screen without even touching the 3ds. wait, hold my beer..

RetroGamer02

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cant test but I found that the following CFLAG's help performance at least on my homebrew maybe try them out.
-fmodulo-sched-allow-regmoves -fno-ira-share-save-slots
Thanks again for info on getting the SDL2 libs. =)

J3RRY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This build has a few control changes:

L = right click
Hold R + touch = right click

New3ds users:
X = toggle between touch or qtm positioning of the top screen viewport.
ZR = qtm sensitivity
I’ve been playing this for a while now and so far i like it some things I’ve noticed is definitely don’t load and old save well at least for me when I transferred my data my old save file from PC was there it crashed and soft locked the screen when I tried loading in I also I think the zoomed in screen would be nice movable through the circle pad would be a good idea I look forward to updates and features this may have really happy and proud about this port thank you.

WooperEnjoyer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
dude I've been waiting for this for so long, as an autistic person who's been obessed with Fallout since the age of 11 I will never thank you enough, now I can finally play the first chapter of my favorite series ever wherever the fuck I want, can I kiss you on the mouth?

J3RRY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dude I've been waiting for this for so long, as an autistic person who's been obessed with Fallout since the age of 11 I will never thank you enough, now I can finally play the first chapter of my favorite series ever wherever the fuck I want, can I kiss you on the mouth
dude I've been waiting for this for so long, as an autistic person who's been obessed with Fallout since the age of 11 I will never thank you enough, now I can finally play the first chapter of my favorite series ever wherever the fuck I want, can I kiss you on the mouth?
I second this my pc broke a couple months back and I didn’t get to finish it I could play it on my laptop but I’ve just been enjoying all my 3DS home brews Im playing this along with doom,shadow Warrior, blood,duke nukem, and quake 1 and 2.

Mijangos

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I second this my pc broke a couple months back and I didn’t get to finish it I could play it on my laptop but I’ve just been enjoying all my 3DS home brews Im playing this along with doom,shadow Warrior, blood,duke nukem, and quake 1 and 2.
QUESTION WHICH CONSOLE DOES IT WORK FOR (NEW 3DS OR OLD 3DS)?
SINCE I HAVE PROBLEMS STARTING THE GAME IT STAYS ON A BLACK SCREEN I HAVE AN OLD 3DS XL

J3RRY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUESTION WHICH CONSOLE DOES IT WORK FOR (NEW 3DS OR OLD 3DS)?
SINCE I HAVE PROBLEMS STARTING THE GAME IT STAYS ON A BLACK SCREEN I HAVE AN OLD 3DS XL
I’ve been playing it on my New 2DS XL if I could I’d test it in my Old 2DS but I let my friend borrow it to play Pokémon sorry you’ll have to wait for OP

WooperEnjoyer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My New 3DS is pretty laggy and the load times can result quite annoying, sure I'm not expecting the instant loads and costant 60 fps you can get on even a low end PC, tho most ports of PC games seem to run like this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?