Fallout 2 ported to the PlayStation Vita twice with two new separate homebrew releases

itamfalout.png

While there might not be any modern re-releases of the old-school Fallout games in an official capacity, modders have been picking up the slack, and then some. Releasing back to back are two separate Fallout 2 ports to the PlayStation Vita, from two different homebrew developers. Isage posted their project, with Northfear following up with their own release a mere few hours later. Both of these ports come from the Fallout 2 Community Edition, an open source version of the game, including community-made performance patches. Going further into the homebrew rabbit hole, Fallout 2 CE was the result of yet another project--Fallout 2 Reference Edition--which was the original reverse engineering project.

Both of the Fallout 2 PS Vita ports are available to download: Isage's version is at v1.2 on GitHub, while Northfear's is at v1.0 and is on VitaDB. In order to get either running on your Vita, you'll need to own the Steam or GOG release of Fallout 2, and copy master.dat, critter.dat, patch000.dat, data, and the sound folders from your PC installation into ux0:/data/fallout2/. Both homebrew developers have worked on Vita projects in the past; Isage has previously ported the Streets of Rage fan remake to the Vita, while Northfear has worked on porting Heroes of Might and Magic II to the Vita.

:arrow: Isage's Fallout 2 Vita port
:arrow: Northfear's Fallout 2 Vita port

GenNaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding the control differences, Isage's version maps movement to the D-Pad and left stick at the cost of having less shortcuts handy while the Northfear version requires you point and click for movement.

Randy Steele

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd probably give it a chance on the vita if I didn't already have the fallout games on the steam deck. The touchpads on that thing we're practically made for old pc games like this. That being said, this is awesome and I'm always glad when the vita gets more ports and love from the homebrew community.

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's nether one of those. It's my opinion. Remember those?
You are free to change my mind if you wish though...
You are also free to be less of an ungrateful twat, but I know your tiny brain can't comprehend that. I'll just let you spew acid on the Vita homebrew community from inside your bubble...

Last edited by Cris1997XX,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i have an issue with loading games on usb with usbloadergx on vwii. Is there anyone that can...