Gaming Nintendo Confirms Wii U Has Flopped, Slashes Sales Forecast By ~70%

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Love the comments.
Typical Kotaku.

The worst are on TMNT's "9/11" poster which is total bullshit, it's just a building burning and actually it's a reference to the TMNT Arcade Game. People these days are too fucking sensitive.

It was predictable that Nintendo would be in a terrible position finnancialy,
altought having it even worse than expected just show them how wrong they did with WiiU.
Nintendo is outdated in many ways it's even hard to imagine a different situation.
Why doesn't Nintendo have a account system? Why do they still use region-lock?
Why do they have limit usage demos? Why is it needed to pay $1 for every VC title to be tranfered from Wii to WiiU.
These things just get even more negative considering WiiU have never been marketed well,
it was made for a public that doesn't exist anymore and can't compete with PS4 and X1.

Wii U is a failure for Nintendo but that doesn't mean that they're financially screwed.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/03/nintendo-not-doomed/

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Mario Kart 8 sold really well to Nintendo fans and failed to draw in people outside of the fanbase, you say?

On the one hand, I guess I feel a little bad for the Wii U-sers. On the other hand, mmm, this is a delectable combination of vindication and schadenfreude.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if nintendo want to get back on top next gen they need to do the following

1. meet the market 1st and 2nd party games won't keep a console alive
2. get rid of the mother fucking archaic outdated region coding!!
3. get a better online system one where you can join rooms or something instead of just pulling random players in from everywhere.
4. stop using dated hardware.
5. stop using gimmicks that no one wants.
6. unlock the console from the start so homebrew can be made (J/K :lol:

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if nintendo want to get back on top next gen they need to do the following

1. meet the market 1st and 2nd party games won't keep a console alive
2. get rid of the mother fucking archaic outdated region coding!! This increases sales potentially. If you want japanese games, buy a japanese console.
3. get a better online system one where you can join rooms or something instead of just pulling random players in from everywhere. Online can be improved I agree.
4. stop using dated hardware. Not needed, Nintendo has almost never used up to date hardware.
5. stop using gimmicks that no one wants. People want gimmicks and the same old stuff over and over. Its not just a theory, its a game theory. Check out game theory's topic about it.
6. unlock the console from the start so homebrew can be made (J/K :lol:
Yes HAXXORRZZ

For real though, they just need to allow the Wii U to be used without the tablet. If that becomes an optional accessory (a la Kinect 2 with Xbone) it will sell better. Also, make VC games cheaper. Like $1-2 a piece cheaper.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
no region coding is fucking stupid. game devs have to make 2 separate versions of their games one for pal and one for ntsc (3 if you count japan) they don't want to do this anymore not only does it cost more money it also takes more time. game devs are on the clock these days and don't have time to waste time! that's one of the reasons 3rd party support is non existent on the wiiu. why need to make several versions when their region free on the other consoles?

game devs want power these days if they don't get it so they can push their software to the limits they won't put their games on your console. also again they don't want to make downgraded versions of their games they'd rather make 1 engine and than port it to other platforms another reason 3rd party is not on the wiiu.

people dont want gimmicks they want games. they don't want touch controls, or having to use a tablet to play a game unless it's for the tablet in the 1st place. they want simple controls and games.

number 6 was a joke :P

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The limited usage demo thing might well actually be them taking a couple of lessons-- http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/11/jesse-schell-releasing-a-game-demo-can-cut-sales-in-half . Granted with the rest it makes for 1 step forward, about 90 back (or at least 1 step forward when everybody else took 90).

If Nintendo thinks a demo can cut it's game's sales simply don't release them on e-shop, and that's what they're doing.
Obligating every developer to release their demos with a limit usage is simply outrageous.
Nintendo should let the developers choose how they want to release their demos.

Jesse Schell says that a demo might reduce sales because you have to buy it to try it,
but if the consumer decided not to buy your game after trying it's demo it's a sign that something is wrong with your game.
If your game is really good, a demo will only make people more hyped about it.
A good demo of a good game, should increase it's sales.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Usage limited demos may be less for the demo showcasing a bad game and more for the would be game player being able to say "I got mine".

A rough equivalent might be if I saw the fight scenes from a martial arts film and then said "Why would I watch the whole thing now?".

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Releasing a demo with usage limit makes sense, if you really like a game then purchase since you'll always be stuck to the same level always. They usually have 30 tries and isn't that enough? Sure there's also those with 5-10 tries and still that's a lot.

If you have kids then either get some cheap games for the console or don't download the demos to hear them moan.

I remember playing Wonderful 101 once or twice and that was enough to know I wanted to own the game.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wii.u.name.sucks.jpg

THE NAME WII U IS 'ABYSMAL,' FORMER NINTENDO INDIE BOSS SAYS

[IGN story]

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
no region coding is fucking stupid. game devs have to make 2 separate versions of their games one for pal and one for ntsc (3 if you count japan) they don't want to do this anymore not only does it cost more money it also takes more time. game devs are on the clock these days and don't have time to waste time! that's one of the reasons 3rd party support is non existent on the wiiu. why need to make several versions when their region free on the other consoles?

Game developers have to make several versions anyway, since different region uses different language. Some regions might need local censoring, editing, etc too.

But game developers aren't the one that is pushing region coding, Nintendo and game publisher are. Developers already get their paycheck from publisher when they sign contracts with the publisher.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Releasing a demo with usage limit makes sense, if you really like a game then purchase since you'll always be stuck to the same level always. They usually have 30 tries and isn't that enough? Sure there's also those with 5-10 tries and still that's a lot.

If you have kids then either get some cheap games for the console or don't download the demos to hear them moan.

I remember playing Wonderful 101 once or twice and that was enough to know I wanted to own the game.

It's not because you don't use them, or don't see the need of it that it isn't neecessary.
For me, a Demo should be something that made it possible for me to try it over and over again.
Nintendo never really gave an explanantion that justified why having a limit demo usage.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Game developers have to make several versions anyway, since different region uses different language. Some regions might need local censoring, editing, etc too.
Your concerns would be valid if only we didn't live in the digital age where everyone is connected to the Internet 24/7 and the system can download regional patches or if the disc drive used wasn't a BluRay derrivative which can handle 25GB of data on one layer or about 50GB when it's dual-layer. Assuming that the average game is 14GB, you can easily pack regional versions onto the disc and make the system install the correct disc data by checking the system's region. Regional encoding is a thing of the past, it's completely unnecessary now that we use standardized HD resolutions in every region, and even if we didn't, most TV's these days are still compatible with both PAL and NTSC resolutions and refresh rates. Region encoding has to go - it's a relict of the past.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Your concerns would be valid if only we didn't live in the digital age where everyone is connected to the Internet 24/7 and the system can download regional patches or if the disc drive used wasn't a BluRay derrivative which can handle 25GB of data on one layer or about 50GB when it's dual-layer. Assuming that the average game is 14GB, you can easily pack regional versions onto the disc and make the system install the correct disc data by checking the system's region. Regional encoding is a thing of the past, it's completely unnecessary now that we use standardized HD resolutions in every region, and even if we didn't, most TV's these days are still compatible with both PAL and NTSC resolutions and refresh rates. Region encoding has to go - it's a relict of the past.

I think it isn't about the possibility of doing it but rather the extra work it would need.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think it isn't about the possibility of doing it but rather the extra work it would need.
It wouldn't require any extra work - you would manufacture the exact same amount of discs with the exact same amount of localizations. In fact, it would actually be cheaper because you'd only have one setup of the factory line instead of a variety of setups.

Nintendo wants region locks to stick around for the same reason why they implemented them in the handhelds - to cull down importing and to evenly spread profits across their three branches.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It wouldn't require any extra work - you would manufacture the exact same amount of discs with the exact same amount of localizations. In fact, it would actually be cheaper because you'd only have one setup of the factory line instead of a variety of setups.

It would require an extra work compared to other consoles and PC version.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It would require an extra work compared to other consoles and PC version.
Again, no, it would not. It's the exact same amount of work, if not less work. Manufacturing several types of discs and packages versus manufacturing one is a no-brainer right there. Also, see edit above.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Again, no, it would not. It's the exact same amount of work, if not less work. Manufacturing several types of discs and packages versus manufacturing one is a no-brainer right there. Also, see edit above.

Dude, I'm not talking about manufacturing a disk, I'm talking about the censoring and editing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Dude, I'm not talking about manufacturing a disk, I'm talking about the censoring and editing.
You still have to censor and edit games for separate regions, you might as well shove all of that data onto one disc and automatically install the correct version/apply relevant patches depending on the console's regional settings, it's not a big deal, that's what Multi-5 etc. are for. There's no reason to press separate discs for different regions anymore.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You still have to censor and edit games for separate regions, you might as well shove all of that data onto one disc and automatically install the correct version/apply relevant patches depending on the console's regional settings, it's not a big deal, that's what Multi-5 etc. are for. There's no reason to press separate discs for different regions anymore.

You're assuming that the game will be released, but what if the developers decide that all the trouble of editing and censoring wouldn't be worth it?
The situation gets even more comploicated considering the low sales of WiiU and their titles.
That's why Developers aren't releasing most of their titles on WiiU

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Deeze nuts