MattKimura's Wii U hacking guide

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by MattKimura, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    guides like MattKimura's guide could link to your thread for additional FAQ.

2. ChiroToB

ChiroToB GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    So as I prepared for hacking my WiiU, I remembered the days of my original Wii hacking and the amount of research I did to prepare for it. I wanted to be sure that this was going to go as smoothly so I felt that arming myself with as much knowledge as possible about WHY I was doing each step and WHAT each installation did. Because of this, I had a lot of questions after starting my research. @Byokugen @aljpn91 and @Cyan all provided the answers I needed to feel confident using this amazing guide by @MattKimura!!!

These questions and answers are like a spiritual addition to the Q&A in the guide by @MattKimura, so be sure to read those as well.

1. I've read a lot about Loadiine and Custom Firmware. What are the benefits of one over the other?
    After all my research, there are virtually no benefits to using Loadiine. It loads games slowly from SD, cannot play online and the installation format is different than an official Wii U installation from Nintendo, meaning if you want to keep your backups and no longer use Loadiine, you'll either have to re-acquire the games in the proper format or convert them from Loadiine format to USB format.

2. Do I need to use Custom Firmware to load backed up games?
    Technically, no. You only need to launch the Homebrew Loader to install any backup games you have acquired. As long as they are only the game and update (no DLC), then after installation you don't need to load Homebrew Launcher OR Custom Firmware in order to play them. Nintendo doesn't know if the DISC BASED (originally released in disc format as opposed to eshop, virtual console or dlc) installed games are legitimately purchased or acquired by other means. Once installed (without DLC), the WiiU treats the game as if it is a disc inserted in the system.

3. So then what is the point of Custom Firmware?
    To understand this, you need to understand why CFW works. Essentially, anything you get that would have needed to be purchased from Nintendo's eShop, Virtual Console or DLC will be directly tied to your specific WiiU system. Custom Firmware takes this content and automatically tells the WiiU to ignore the System ID check, making all of those (eshop games, virtual console games and DLC) look like they are tied to your system. Custom Firmware also enables region free automatically.
    So the point of having Custom Firmware is to be able to use that "acquired" content that is not technically tied to your specific WiiU, while applying patches to make it look like IT IS tied to your system. The other point is to be able to play games from different regions.

4. Ok, that makes sense! So how does CFW differ in use to standard firmware?
    It doesn't! It looks and runs the same way, but with Signature patches enabled to let you play those backed up games with DLC, eshop and VC games as well as out of region games!

5. So what happens if I don't enable Custom Firmware and I try to launch a game that I have installed DLC from?
    This is a multi-tiered answer.
    1. If you have a legitimately acquired game and legitimately acquired DLC, then it won't matter if you use CFW or not. The game will launch no matter what.
    2. If you have a legitmately acquired game and pirated DLC, the game will fail to load unless you load it with CFW enabled.
    3. If you have a backed up game and legitimately acquired DLC, then CFW doesn't matter. The game will launch no matter what.
    4. If you have a backed up game and pirated DLC, the game will fail to load unless you load it with CFW enabled.
    **Take note of the pattern! Any pirated DLC will required CFW to launch! Likewise, if you forget to enable CFW, any game with pirated DLC will fail to load!

6. So you're saying I can get backed up games, but I can also buy DLC instead of pirating it, and the reverse, I can get legitimate games and get pirated DLC?
    YES!

7. So what about playing online? Online with pirated DLC? Online with eshop, vc games? Do I need to worry about bans?
    1. It seems that Nintendo's biggest concern for playing online is cheating online. Don't use trainers or cheats that wouldn't be available to people playing legitimate games.
    2. Any backup games with their most recent update can be played online. Again, Nintendo doesn't know the difference, as the WiiU treats it as a disc is inserted.
    3. Any game (legitimate or backup, VC or eshop) can play online with pirated DLC as long as you enable custom firmware. (but remember as a failsafe, you won't be able to load a game with pirated DLC -or eshop or vc games- unless you enable CFW anyway!)
    -Follow these rules and you won't have to worry about a ban.

8. Can I, or should I, install games to an SD card? How are the load speeds when installed to an SD card?
    You can't unless you're going to use Loadiine. There will be longer load times using Loadiine and an SD card.

9. What size SD card should I buy?
    Generally speaking, a 32gb SD or microSD with adapter is fine. You'll want to get a Class 10 UHS-1 for decent read/write speeds. No need to spend the extra money on a UHS-3 card. I personally purchased a 64gb SD (not microSD, but I do have a spare 16gb microSD with a samsung adapter and it works fine for installing games)

10. Can I use a USB Hard Drive or a USB Flash Drive formatted as a WiiU HDD to install games to?
    Yes. I purchased a 256gb USB Flash drive for this exact purpose.

11. Is there a special tool to install backed up games as if they're legit?
    If you read through this guide by @MattKimura, the answer is in there. When you start Homebrew Launcher, one of the options available is WUP Installer GX2. This is the program you'll use and the games and their updates will be installed as if they're legit.

12. These Tickets I keep reading about have me confused! What are they and do I need to worry about them when installing games?
    These are "Disc Tickets" and they're not tied to any specific console. (Forensic answer here...essentially, these tickets are on the legitimate game disc. Since you can lend your game disc to a friend and it will play perfectly on his/her WiiU, it means the disc ticket is not tied to your console only. Otherwise, the disc would fail to load on any Wii U other than your personal one).

-As long as you're using Wii U USB Helper to download your games, all tickets are included so it takes all the confusion out of the equation.
    You can find the program here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wii-u-usb-helper-a-small-eshop-for-windows.446565/

Ok, I think I covered all of my personal beginner questions! Again, thank you to @Byokugen @aljpn91 @Cyan for all the answers and @MattKimura for his guide!

Last edited by ChiroToB, Mar 24, 2017
    .44 Magnum likes this.
  3. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    lot of red, it's not easy to read.

Usually I put questions in bold, and answers in normal text.

ChiroToB likes this.
  4. ChiroToB

ChiroToB GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    noted... I'm used to that from my softball forum, LOL

editing....

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

@Cyan how is it now?

5. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    it's better. (well, personal opinion)

ChiroToB likes this.
  6. Syntarex

Syntarex Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Hey. I got a question.

I installed CBHC and setup autoboot to mocha. Everything works fine. If I start an app or settings and close the app afterwards, my Wii U displays "autobooting" again and tries to load mocha. Then the wii u menu logo appears and Im stuck. It just freezes. No mocha CFW loading screen anymore.

EDIT: I configured autoboot to mocha CFW on cbhc and my Haxchi config is set to "default=wiiu/apps/mocha/mocha.elf". Maybe thats the problem?

EDIT2: Problem solved. I thought the haxchicfw isnt capable of using pirated dlcs, but it, so no need using mocha. Everything works fine now. :)

Last edited by Syntarex, Mar 25, 2017
  7. LichbannMejolaro

LichbannMejolaro GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2017
    Brazil
    The Wii games on eshop also need to WiiVC hack to be played or they can be downloaded through wiiu usb helper and installed like any vc or wiiu game?

8. ChiroToB

ChiroToB GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    I haven't tried this yet, but since USB Helper says "CFW Only", I assume that the vWii will play these natively once you enable mocha. I'll try today and confirm.

9. Felek666

Felek666 Typical CBHC user

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    CFW is required to launch VC, not to region-free vWii.
    Wii VC game will boot into vWii mode leaving Wii U side. Some games might not work on your region [ex. some NTSC games will not work on PAL etc.]

ChiroToB likes this.
  10. LichbannMejolaro

Feb 21, 2017
    Brazil
    Thanks a lot! I'll wait for the confirmation!

11. ChiroToB

ChiroToB GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    Gotcha. I'm actually only testing my own region at the moment.

12. ChiroToB

ChiroToB GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    So I tested Skyward Sword last night, downloaded via USB Helper and installed to my usb drive. It runs perfectly once mocha is enabled.

LichbannMejolaro likes this.
  13. Felek666

Felek666 Typical CBHC user

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    EUR or USA?

14. ChiroToB

ChiroToB GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    USA

15. LichbannMejolaro

Feb 21, 2017
    Brazil
    Thank you!

I'll try to play Metroid Prime then!

16. saW07

saW07 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2017
    Saudi Arabia
    So do you think I can make any wii game works if I installed via USB Helper ? And if so , will it cause any problem for the wii u games that I installed or Haxchi ?

17. LichbannMejolaro

Feb 21, 2017
    Brazil

Just to confirm. As @ChiroToB has said, at least the eshop games downloaded through WiiU Usb Helper works perfectly if you install them as if they were a WiiU game.

I'm just playing Metroid Prime Trilogy now and it's working flawlessly.

So, in the end, the vWii hacking must be allowed only for non-eshop games and/or out of region games (I haven't tested any, but as @Felek666 said, they won't work.

18. ChiroToB

ChiroToB GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    Any games you get that come from USB Helper that are listed as "CFW Only" will play perfectly on your WiiU as long as you enable CFW (mocha) first. That's a very generic answer that covers what you're saying, but the exact answer is this:

USB Helper lets you download original Wii games that have been released via the eshop. These specific Wii games released by eshop can be installed to the WiiU for use with CFW. All other wii games (games that were not released through the eshop), will require you to hack your vWii and install the games to a USB drive.

Short short answer:
    all eshop games can be installed and played through custom firmware (which includes eshop wii games)
    all wii games you have to rip because they're not available on the eshop will require you to hack the vWii and install to usb drive.

MattKimura and LichbannMejolaro like this.
  19. saW07

saW07 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2017
    Saudi Arabia
    I want to play kirby return to dreamland ,so I will install it the same way as Wii U games , thanks.

20. ToneEQ

ToneEQ GBAtemp Regular

Aug 14, 2007
    South Wales
    An update for BotW downloaded today even though I followed the correct procedure for blocking updates? (EU DNS settings)

Going to download the update and manually install it via WUP GX2 to fix but strange as it's happened twice now.