MattKimura's Wii U hacking guide

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by MattKimura, Feb 24, 2017.

1. MattKimura
    OP

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    If you're new to Wii U hacks and want to know what to use to get started, this'll be a full guide on how it's done.
    I'll show you how to install games, setup CFW, and install Haxchi. Overall this is a beginner's guide to Wii U hacks.
    Follow each section up to section IV and by the end you'll be all set with the latest Wii U hacks. It's very important that you read the Q&A!

Bookmark this page as a reference and share with others who need it
    Feel free to stop by our Discord channel for help and discussions:

https://discord.gg/C29hYvh

If you want one on one help with everything, I'm always on discord whenever you need me.

Guide updated August 21st, 2017
    - Added a guide for 5.5.2 users

SD card info
    Your SD card must be formatted as FAT32. If you have a 64 GB or higher, use GUIFORMAT
    DO NOT name the SD card WIIU or else it won't be read by the system.
    If using a micro SD, you may have to try different SD adapters before it'll work.
    Recommended SD card size is at least 16 or 32 GB if you plan to install your games.

5.5.2 Guide

Follow this guide if your Wii U is on 5.5.2 (The latest update)
    5.5.1 users should use the guide below instead

Warning: Spoilers inside!

5.5.1 Guide

This is the guide for those who are still on 5.5.1 and haven't updated to 5.5.2 yet.
    Start with the Setup Files below

Setup Files

! Before you proceed with the 5.5.1 guide, download the Wii U files and extract everything to your SD card.
    This will save you time with file work and keeps you ready for the steps below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I. Block Automatic System Updates

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

II. Setting up Homebrew Launcher via the browser

III. Installing Games

IV. Using Custom Firmware (CFW) via the browser

V. Haxchi and Coldbooting (Optional)

Other tutorials

Q&A

Last edited by MattKimura, Nov 11, 2017
  2. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    I decided to move my guide to GBAtemp, to allow easier access to it without having to sign up to view it. I hope you guys find my guide helpful and to the point.

CatmanFan, Crash300, IssMare and 6 others like this.
  3. iAqua

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Great guide!

MattKimura likes this.
  4. d12unk13astard

d12unk13astard GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    Think i used this same guide a month or two ago but it was on your youtube also anywho, thx for bringing it over here it is very noob friendly and easy to follow :)

5. Doctorj1

Doctorj1 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    lol, "February 23th"

Tony_93 and MattKimura like this.
  6. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    This might be redundant and useless, since you can turn the wii u pad display off by pressing home button, opening this menu on upper right corner and selecting "Display off".

Edit: Padcon is useful, just tested hid to vpad and the usb controller (a dualshock 4 in my case) doesn't work on the in-game home menu. Disregard my stupid remark, thanks.
    Wiiu-controller-settings.jpg

Last edited by netovsk, Feb 24, 2017
  7. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    I've tried this and there's no way to continue playing without exiting this menu, which forces you to turn the screen on. Since it emulates the gamepad, pressing any button on the PS remote turns the screen back on.

8. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Oh I thought the PS button were mapped as the Wii U pro controller home button. Thats how I do it with the Pro controller.

I'll test it myself with a dualshock4 brb

Edit: You're right, the PlayStation controller doesn't work at all in the home menu, and the ps button is not a home button at all, nor is the touchpad button.

Yes this Padcon app is useful, pardon my mistake.

Nice guide, thanks!

Last edited by netovsk, Feb 24, 2017
    MattKimura likes this.
  9. jerzmob

jerzmob GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2007
    United States
    Isn't this flimflam69's tut?

10. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Nope I've never used his tutorial, I had this written out since last year. I just finally published it here on gbatemp as it was previously on another site. Wii u hacking is just so simple so it works seem similar across other guides. My guide doesn't aim to replace any guides, it's for whoever wants to use it. There's no rule against guide making : p

Everyone had their own style for their guides.

Last edited by MattKimura, Feb 24, 2017
    MartyDreamy likes this.
  11. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    wish i had a wii u.

12. jerzmob

jerzmob GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2007
    United States
    You can find one locally guaranteed. People are getting rid of 'em. Now's the time

13. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    Yes, but I'm not ready to spend 250$ for them, which my local stores demand. It's just too much for a console that is "dead" in some kind of way.

Last edited by MeAndHax, Feb 24, 2017
  14. jerzmob

jerzmob GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2007
    United States
    I got the Zelda windwaker one locally for $100. It was missing the sensor bar & pad had no stylus. Had spare parts from a giveaway along while back so I was lucky to have those replacements. Runs beautiful. Eventually seller will want the cash so then they accept your offer. You have to keep looking. They do get snatched pretty quickly when the deal is good.

Last edited by jerzmob, Feb 24, 2017
  15. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    GIMME $200 and you can have mine lol. It's a day one launch and includes a bigger battery in the pad.

16. Alucard1015

Alucard1015 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Do i have to have a large SD card? I believe the biggest one i have right now is 2 gigs i plan on using a USB hard drive i had for the original wii to load games.

17. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Hey can you test hid to vpad with padcon? I never tested using both of these, it'd be great to get confirmation on it!

18. ZzzWayne

ZzzWayne Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2016
    Is this guide likely to change once botw comes out? Should i just wait? :/

19. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    lol what would need to change when the game comes out : p
    Everything is listed in the guide except how to obtain games since it wouldn't be allowed.

20. ZzzWayne

ZzzWayne Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2016
    Haha I wouldnt expect it to say that much.

Well maybe if a new firmware comes out that only botw works on? Or if someone has been waiting until now to reveal some arm9haxloader equivalent for the wii u?