Dusting off a forgotten Wii U

mimomime

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hi guys, new here and in the need of some help

As a little background, back in maybe 2018-2019 I bought a WiiU so that my younger cousins could play games while visiting me. Changed DNS to stop it from updating, installed ‘things’ in it like Haxchi and probably others to play Wii or GameCube games (WiiUUSBHelper and WUP Installer). A year later COVID happened and as they couldn’t come home, I put it in a box and forgot that I even had that console. Found it yesterday and would like to bring it up to date to what 2023 has to offer but have no idea where to start because I’m afraid I might brick it.

Wii U status is as it follows:
  • Haxchi installed
  • Homebrew Launcher 1.4v by Dimok
  • 5.5.2 U
  • Have some games in an HDD that can be played with no problems if I run Haxchi beforehand
  • Has an SD card but no idea what’s in it, how to check it and if it even matters to do that.

Would be more than grateful if someone could help me with how to proceed as I don’t remember a thing of what I did back in those years -probably what I just wrote above makes no sense, so yeah i'm THAT lost-. I’m interested in playing WiiU, Wii and maybe some GameCube games, and update to whatever new is available so that it works and plays better even if it takes me more time to set everything up correctly. Other than that it is completely unknown to me what else you can do nowadays.

Forgive my crappy english
Love from CL

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, new here and in the need of some help

As a little background, back in maybe 2018-2019 I bought a WiiU so that my younger cousins could play games while visiting me. Changed DNS to stop it from updating, installed ‘things’ in it like Haxchi and probably others to play Wii or GameCube games (WiiUUSBHelper and WUP Installer). A year later COVID happened and as they couldn’t come home, I put it in a box and forgot that I even had that console. Found it yesterday and would like to bring it up to date to what 2023 has to offer but have no idea where to start because I’m afraid I might brick it.

Wii U status is as it follows:
  • Haxchi installed
  • Homebrew Launcher 1.4v by Dimok
  • 5.5.2 U
  • Have some games in an HDD that can be played with no problems if I run Haxchi beforehand
  • Has an SD card but no idea what’s in it, how to check it and if it even matters to do that.

Would be more than grateful if someone could help me with how to proceed as I don’t remember a thing of what I did back in those years -probably what I just wrote above makes no sense, so yeah i'm THAT lost-. I’m interested in playing WiiU, Wii and maybe some GameCube games, and update to whatever new is available so that it works and plays better even if it takes me more time to set everything up correctly. Other than that it is completely unknown to me what else you can do nowadays.

Forgive my crappy english
Love from CL
Well as long as its not CBHC and just normal Haxchi then you don't have to worry about bricking it really. Nowadays we have Tiramisu and Aroma. You basically get to choose which environment you want. Tiramisu runs all legacy homebrew and basically works the same. Aroma breaks support for older homebrew but has plugin support and more advanced features.

Reactions: mimomime

mimomime

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
CBHC was the keyword I was missing in my searches. Now I have 5.5.6, Tiramisu and Aroma. Also installed UFDiine to avoid any future updates -tho probably there won't be any- but kept it with internet connection. Read that there's close to zero risk of being banned as long as I don't play modded or hacked games. Is that so?

Thank you, I'm so happy now c:

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Read that there's close to zero risk of being banned as long as I don't play modded or hacked games. Is that so?

Pretty much, Nintendo has announced that online services for Wii U will discontinue in early April 2024 anyway.

Pretendo is a community replacement been worked on however.

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey there, you will want to run nintendont at least once with a game in order for it to generate settings file. for my wii u, i use
wii u widescreen
force widescreen
force ntsc
emulate memorycard
autoboot yes
skip ipl yes

do note the force widescreen and force ntsc can cause graphical issues for some games, but should work for a majority of them

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto