Zombie-Like Plague Threatening US Honeybee Population

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead... all classic zombie apocalypse movies. They depict a world where society has collapsed and the living flee the roaming undead in search of safety.

For the US' honeybee population, those films are getting just a little too real.

Zombie bees are not science fiction. They are real—and real threat to already-threatened U.S. honeybee populations.

Honeybees (Apis mellifera) in California and South Dakota have been observed acting zombielike, wandering away from their hives at night and crawling around blindly in circles.

These insects have been rendered insensate by a parasitizing fly that lays eggs in the bees’ bodies. After the bee dies a lonesome death, pupae crawl out and grow to adult flies that seek new bodies to infect.
icon11.gif
Scientific American

(With all this talk of mind-controlling parasites, we're closer to Night of the Creeps or Slither than the creatures of Romero's ilk, but that's not that point!)

These parasites have been spreading like wildfire from bee to bee, posing a serious threat to the stability of the colonies and the delicious, delicious honey they are wont to produce. Scientists are trying their best to track the parasite-infested bees, but it's no simple task. If you live in the area and are interested in helping out, https://www.zombeewatch.org/ are looking for all the help they can get.

According to the site, "The zombie fly only parasitizes insects and does not lay eggs on or in humans. As far as we know, it does not transmit any diseases that are contractible by humans."

Well, that's what they saw. Look, I'm gonna be Frank with you people and just Chuck this out there; this can only lead to one thing...

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
It's going to take a while until these parasites evolve into something capable of controlling something as complex as the human brain. I wonder what's causing them so spread so rapidly?
Currently the most complex creature that could be infected by mind controlling parasites are certain kinds small fish I believe.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh dear God, this is going to turn into this.

Also, this sounds so epic that I almost hope a real zombie apocalypse happens. I'd probably die, but it would so be worth it.

I actually have a new plan for the zombie apocalypse. Buy a solar battery pack for my phone, and if I ever get infected, put my phone in my shirt pocket and start recording video. Whoever finds the phone would have a YouTube sensation (assuming humanity survives the apocalypse and reboots and YouTube comes back).

Reactions: 1 person

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh dear God, this is going to turn into this.

Also, this sounds so epic that I almost hope a real zombie apocalypse happens. I'd probably die, but it would so be worth it.

I actually have a new plan for the zombie apocalypse. Buy a solar battery pack for my phone, and if I ever get infected, put my phone in my shirt pocket and start recording video. Whoever finds the phone would have a YouTube sensation (assuming humanity survives the apocalypse and reboots and YouTube comes back).
What if bees had daydreams about becoming lemurs
What if time travel requires bees?
What if you could replace explosions with bees?
What if instead of movies there were bees?

lol

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
on a serious note this sounds like the exact same thing happens to snails with a certain type of parasite.
(amongst other things)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvdiYg6ZN-U[/youtube]

yay for nature :toot:

EDIT: (also if we consider the theory that we'll all die when the honey bees become extinct, this is super shit)

Reactions: 2 people

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
bee jokes aside this has actually been round for a while now the reason the bees act like zombies is cause the parasites are literally eating their brains making them retarded. there's prob no risk to humans...unless the parasites get into the honey?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
We got a TV reportage in France (on Arte channel) about bees dying by thousands these past 10 years.
They still don't understand the cause (except that it's supposedly linked to pesticides used for 30 years).

When the bee is dying, she usually leave the hive to die.

But, recently, a lot of bees from Europe and US died in the hive, due to a virus transmitted by this acari.
http://www.almanar.com.lb/french/adetails.php?fromval=1&cid=13&frid=13&eid=67639
It's laying eggs in the hives, and feeding from the larva, ending living on the bee itself.

Only one species/colony is immune to this, and is living in South-West of France.

That "zombee" you are talking might be a new flea, but there's certainly species immune to it.
Researchers will certainly try to find a cure.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know this isn't the first case of 'zombie' insects. In fact, there's a species of fungi that infects ants to make them to their bidding. Their bidding being to ensure a widespread distribution of spores. Their change in behavior is so drastic that we dubbed them zombie ants. XD
Ophiocordyceps unilateralis is it's name. It's interesting how it completely alters ants's behaviors.

416px-Ophiocordyceps_unilateralis.png

http://en.wikipedia....ps_unilateralis

A very interesting read. Especially the process of infecting ants and reproduction. XD
Btw those ants are dead, as the parasitic fungus kills the host.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guys come on, beehave, this is a serious topic here. If this stuff continues to evolve, you and your honey's could get infected with an unknown disease. I actually like this zombie like stuff, I'm glad it's buzzing around and affecting different types of animals. First cows, now bee's. It's only a matter of time before it gets to humans and then the world will become a more fun place to live, and I'll actually not be bored because I'll be out smashing zombies.

Also sidenote: Shaun of the Dead

/thread

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is a bigger deal than most people realize - beeswax and honey are used in many sectors of industry, it's not just about the edible honey. Bee produce is used in pharmaceuticals, food and even cleaning products, and this infection means that a large portion of the population will have to burn for the benefit of the survivors.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLdXfFsgvkE