Dr.Killa

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i remember long ago i had seasons, and found out the connectivity between ages and seasons..like the password. but i never found out

but what exactly did it do? like after beating seasons and getting a password, i somehow put it in and can play ages on the seasons cartridge?

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
As I recall it changed the ending, gave you a final final boss battle, and gave you an extra dungeon called the Hero's Cave. There's some other stuff too -- look here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbcolor/file/472313/11605

It's worth doing.

And these are super games.

We should have an essential GB/GBC list here as well! I still think the GBA beats all systems ever in history for sheer volume of good games, but the GBC had a few gems, these two being among them.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm ashamed to admit that I never played seasons or ages
blush.gif
Tell me, if there is some order with those games, does seasons come before ages, or it doesn't matter?

acoustic.digital

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nope, doesn't matter which one you play first. I started out with OoS way back, played the hell out of it and got OoA as well. There's some more hidden stuff to be unlocked, like the Lvl 3 sword, some various rings, all stuff that you can only get by playing both games and getting all passwords.

Definitely do the last Ganon fight. Totally epic IMHO.

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Thanks
smile.gif

I'm planing to do some adventures and RPG's over the summer....and I think I'll play both of them as well
smile.gif

So it doesn't matter which I play first?! I guess I'll go with the seasons then!

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OoA and OoS are meh. The world maps are even more cramped than LA, and the dungeons are uninteresting. Also, too much RPG walking around and talking to dudes.

Of course, if you're going to play them both, it's worthwhile to know this:

Oracle of Ages is focused on Action
Oracle of Seasons is focused on Strategy and Solving puzzles.

In case that affects what order you want to play them in.

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Covarr said:
OoA and OoS are meh. The world maps are even more cramped than LA, and the dungeons are uninteresting. Also, too much RPG walking around and talking to dudes.

Thanks VERY MUCH! I prefer Strategy and Puzzles, so I guess I play Ages first, so I end up with "better" version.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
These games are amazing. But Seasons is a little bit better IMO, because the unique season-mechanic. Really amazing games. I don`t have anything to complain about them...

Dr.Killa

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Covarr said:

actually its the other way around.

links adventure DX anyone? i kinda like it more than both...

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crap, my mnemonic is useless if it's the other way around.

Ages focuses on Analysis
Seasons focuses on Swordplay

Does this work better? I'm trying to think of a more fitting word than analysis.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ages had more of the problem solving, because you had to warp back in time, and back to the present which is more puzzle like than seasons, where you have to unlock all 4 different seasons and change the weather so it would affect where you can go and what you can do.
Age's final boss was harder than the Season's final boss.
Having to carefully use the seed shooting thing (damn i can't remember all the names)
and in seasons, i think you had to push the girl in the crystal out of the way with your staff and hit the boss... dunno
frown.gif

If i remember, (I might be confused with link to the past) ganon wasn't that hard.
I remember in seasons, there was a warp next to the big tree that lead to him.. i can't remember
frown.gif

but both had many trading, exploring, hunting and a lot of things that kept you busy. Even the graphics were excellent for the GBC. It's one of the only games i actually enjoyed.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
As mentioned above, Link's Awakening DX is also super.

The three GBC Zeldas and Tetris DX -- the best Tetris on any platform -- are the four GBC games worth having.

If you're using a Slot-2 card, get yourself Goomba Color and package them together into a GBA file. It's well worth it. The Oracle Zeldas aren't "meh" at all!
wink.gif

Dr. Canuck

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Covarr said:

Disclaimer: I am not trying to be confrontational at all.
I know this is just an opinion but OoA and OoS are far, far, far from meh. They're some of the best hand held games ever released. The dungeon layouts are fantastic especially for the limitations the designers faced. I don't understand what you mean by a world map being "cramped"? The overworld is huge, Ages consists of two huge worlds, the past and the present being completely different. Seasons has the obvious, four versions of every screen as well as an underworld. Walking around and talking to dudes is every single Zelda game since the dawn of time.
These games are amazing, they took Link's Awakening (which is also terrific, I would recommend starting with the DX version first, then the Oracles) and improved upon it in every way, and you can also feel a huge OoT influence in it (Zoras, Gorons, Great Deku Trees, animals used for quickly traveling across the over world, etc).
The linked system works well, effectively making whichever game you played second a sequel, and you get an extra ending (after the first ending), as well as special weapons etc.
Go go go get these games! What are you waiting for??

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Thanks
smile.gif

I'm kinda hyed to play them now....Would love to get original GBC games, so I can play on my GBC, but unfortunately, there are no GBC games in stores for a loong time, and buying over net is not an option for now..
frown.gif

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Canuck said:
I don't understand what you mean by a world map being "cramped"? The overworld is huge, Ages consists of two huge worlds, the past and the present being completely different. Seasons has the obvious, four versions of every screen as well as an underworld. Walking around and talking to dudes is every single Zelda game since the dawn of time.
These games are amazing, they took Link's Awakening (which is also terrific, I would recommend starting with the DX version first, then the Oracles) and improved upon it in every way, and you can also feel a huge OoT influence in it (Zoras, Gorons, Great Deku Trees, animals used for quickly traveling across the over world, etc).
By cramped I don't mean small. I mean that any given area in the overworld is small, even if there are a lot of them and the world as a whole is big. In OoT and MM, there were these expansive, open overworlds, and you could get anywhere without having to go through everything in between. You were free to go around Lon-Lon Ranch or Clock Town if that wasn't your destination. In LttP, the individual areas were not quite as open, but you still didn't have to go through the castle or the forest or Death Mountain to get from Kakariko Village to Zora's Domain. Furthermore, you could save the time getting down from Death Mountain by using the mirror. Even in the NES games, there were multiple paths to get anywhere.

Compare this to LA, OoA, and OoS. The maps are huge, but mazelike. Getting from Point A to Point B becomes a chore. You need to collect items to get past contrived barriers (a mechanic that worked well in Metroid, not so well in Zelda), as opposed to the SNES and N64 games where you could go all over the place, and things that halted progress were legitimate (not being able to swim to Zora's Domain in LttP is a much better way of locking off an area than not being able to move a rock).

That's not to say that the GB/C games are the only ones that messed up as far as traversing the world map. Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass had similar navigation problems. Sailing was boring and time consuming. TP had too much world map and barriers, but made up for it because the horseback riding was awesome.

As for the walking around talking to dudes, I understand that it's been part of every Zelda game, but look at the amount. At points in OoA and OoS, I felt like I was spending more time talking to people than fighting and solving puzzles. In LA, item trading and fetch quests were a huge part of the game, but not a good part of the game. When I play a Zelda game, I want to stab monsters, press switches, find keys, shoot arrows, etc. Even screwing around with the water level in OoT was more fun than going back and forth all over the world finding some damn Yoshi doll or coconut or banana or whatever the hell the next dude wants.

Ultratech87

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All this talk about the Oracle games really makes me wanna play 'em again. Granted, I never owned 'em. My cousin would always visit, and he'd have it. (Why he had it, I had no clue, since he was a little kid.) Still, they're pretty awesome games.

So much fun...

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Covarr: You're comparing apples and oranges.

The GBC was very very very low tech. You have to judge the game by the limitations of the platform. There's no way a GBC game could have awesome horseback riding like TP.

For what it is, it's a great game, and certainly these three are the best games developed for the platform.

frazzledazzle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I remember when I bought seasons from cash converters lol. £3 which I thought was a bargain. Then I HAD to get ages and ended up paying £30 for it two years ago from my local import store, shut down though now lol probably for ripping people off. AND ages wouldnt save! oh well
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: