Gaming zelda MMO (speculation and debate)

RichardLaughter

OP
Trophies
XP
im sure everyone remembers the game intitled, "zelda universe". that was registered by esrb last year, which followed with rumors of a "zelda MMO", being a possibility of whats soon to come. well, i have been thinking about what the developers have said about how well the online communication is, and how powerfull the system itself is, and its got me wondering, if maybe zelda universe is a possibility?

remember, it was said that nintendo had big plans for the next zelda game, but nothing further more was said, and it was also said that an mmo could be in the future. going along with all the wiiu hype, im see a connection, be it a fanisised one, or an actually possibility. what do my fellow readers think?

plausable or daft?

to make it more fun, feel free to go into depth about your reasoning behind your opinions. :)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think it'd be easily plausible for a Zelda MMO to exist. I actually assume it'd be like a more free-roaming version of Spiral Knights.
I'd play the crap out of a zelda MMO if one came into existence.

Bet there'd be a ton of fanboy rage about a Zelda MMO though. People always QQ about multiplayer versions of games. Kinda like Skyrim/Elder Scrolls games and how they'd be epic online...yet most fanboys would rip you apart if you ever said that near them.

Reactions: 2 people

RichardLaughter

OP
Trophies
XP
Dont know, could be bad or perhaps good for the franchise.

i agree with you on this one. i think it depends on a few key factors. for instance who develops it, meaning will nintendo get 3rd party developers to help out and if they do, which company will help (team ninja is a no no), but say retro studios got involved, that right there would help it be on its way to a good game, but of coarse there are other things to consider as well. gameplay, classes, races, menus, leveling, weapons, i could keep going, and if any of these things are seen as faulted, it could easily be a terrible game....at least to "hardcore fanboys" anyway. id still love playing as a goron regardless.

Tsuteto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My honest opinion is the MMO just wouldn't really work. Placing Zelda into MMO standards means they'd have to forego the "leveling" format that's already used, and that would really upset a lot of people. That's the one problem with progressing the Zelda games: they're limited in what can be done. About all they can really adjust without breaking the norm is puzzles, storyline, and items that help with puzzles.

And with that, I think I just possibly labeled Zelda more of a puzzle game than an adventure game...

Reactions: 1 person

RichardLaughter

OP
Trophies
XP
My honest opinion is the MMO just wouldn't really work. Placing Zelda into MMO standards means they'd have to forego the "leveling" format that's already used, and that would really upset a lot of people. That's the one problem with progressing the Zelda games: they're limited in what can be done. About all they can really adjust without breaking the norm is puzzles, storyline, and items that help with puzzles.

And with that, I think I just possibly labeled Zelda more of a puzzle game than an adventure game...
bwahaha that you did :) but omg i hate how the zelda games work -_- get a wooden sword, attacks are weak., get a metal sword, attacks get a little stronger and so do the enemies, get the master sword, do more damage but then you do the boss battle and you are fighting with predetermined stats, which makes me miss, the leveling in zelda II

also before i post, id like to point out how stupid it is, when the game tells you collecting the main items of the games will make you stronger, but they dont really do anything (ocarina of time). i suppose i shouldn'T complain though :) i am hooked on them regardless.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

+1. MMO's are mostly about leveling up, repetitive quest and grinding (sorry if this sounds cynical), whereas Zelda is pretty much purely about the storyline or dungeon design. It also doesn't have enough playable characters (hundreds, if not thousands of link-clones running around will get gimmicky fast).

I don't even see how registering "Zelda universe" would automatically lead to the idea of a zelda MMO. I think it's just wishful thinking from someone that somehow evolved into a rumor. So I can't even call it "fake" as nobody claimed it to be real. :P

RichardLaughter

OP
Trophies
XP

+1. MMO's are mostly about leveling up, repetitive quest and grinding (sorry if this sounds cynical), whereas Zelda is pretty much purely about the storyline or dungeon design. It also doesn't have enough playable characters (hundreds, if not thousands of link-clones running around will get gimmicky fast).

I don't even see how registering "Zelda universe" would automatically lead to the idea of a zelda MMO. I think it's just wishful thinking from someone that somehow evolved into a rumor. So I can't even call it "fake" as nobody claimed it to be real. :P
ummmm, bud? the esrb listed under the mmo genre..... (insert derp face) but of coarse there is always a possibility of it not happening, so i cant concreat nothing. instead, i can only show how it could work. first of all, id like to note that link, was described by nintendo as an in game representation of the player, which is why it always let you pick your own name at the beggining, so the stroy, really isnt about Link, because Link is a link, from the game to the player. making it simple, link didnt stop ganondorf, you did, link didnt defeat majora, you did. that is also why nintendo refuses to give link a voice btw, which was the subject of how the artcle about link being the player was even brought up. anyway back to the point, their wouldn't be thousands of links running around, because for one, link wouldnt be a playable character. also hylians would not be the only class. im sure out of the dozen races in the zelda franchis, nintendo could choose a couple to make playable/customizable. anyway, the combat system, story, and even the puzzled and dungeons would be handled in the same way, with a few exception. choice of different race, choice of having a party dungeoning with you, exp when you kill enemies, and a level. hell, skyward sword, was a leap in the mmo direction with the upgradable weapons :) that would make an awesome addition as well. really the possibilities of how this could work out are endless.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not really, they have broken away from the norm a few times and produced interesting results which the fans have generally liked. Not quite on the scale of some other franchises, but they have.. Plus remember, OOT almost became a first-person style game, so they aren't afraid to experiment ;)

Zelda 2: a leveling system, side scrolling adventures!
Majora's Mask: Fixed time limit in terms of actions available, can be reset at any time (essentially)
Windwaker: Cutesy art style (Big debate over this)
Phantom Hourglass: Direct sequel, all touch controls >.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
depends on how they do it.

i sure wouldnt mind playing a zora or deku again, specially with console controls.

there could be race excluisive dungeons, like you need zoras to go underwater and stuff, and of course there could be such where you need different people for different parts and then you meet up at the boss, but those things can backfire easily of course :/

RichardLaughter

OP
Trophies
XP

Not really, they have broken away from the norm a few times and produced interesting results which the fans have generally liked. Not quite on the scale of some other franchises, but they have.. Plus remember, OOT almost became a first-person style game, so they aren't afraid to experiment ;)

Majora's Mask: Fixed time limit in terms of actions available, can be reset at any time (essentially)

RichardLaughter

OP
Trophies
XP
110451-ESRB-Reveals-Possible-Zelda-MMO

here is one link, ign and other game site have allso done articles on the subjject, but im to lazy to pull them up :)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Zelda MMO sounds horrible.

It's a game that's not open enough to be MMO worthy and not deep enough to be MMO worthy. Even the games that do have these aspects (like Elder Scrolls and Fallout) wouldn't translate well to MMOs either.

Plus I don't think the universe is really good enough to build anything from it. At least recent MMOs (like, I dunno, The Old Republic) have incredible lore behind it. Zelda is just... Zelda. There's Hyrule. There's Zelda. There's Link. There's Ganondorf. There's a few species. Most of everything else is just made up by fans.

RichardLaughter

OP
Trophies
XP
A Zelda MMO sounds horrible.

It's a game that's not open enough to be MMO worthy and not deep enough to be MMO worthy. Even the games that do have these aspects (like Elder Scrolls and Fallout) wouldn't translate well to MMOs either.

Plus I don't think the universe is really good enough to build anything from it. At least recent MMOs (like, I dunno, The Old Republic) have incredible lore behind it. Zelda is just... Zelda. There's Hyrule. There's Zelda. There's Link. There's Ganondorf. There's a few species. Most of everything else is just made up by fans.
i have to disagree with you. there isnt just hyrule, link, zelda, and ganondorf. you have termina, you have the places from oracle of ages and seasons, you have the place from links awakening, you have the twilight relm, the dark world and of coarse all the legends each territory holds. there is more than enough to build an mmo off of. matter of fact, it could even it perfectly in the "timeline". after ocarina of time, gannondorf return, and there is no link to stop him, but that dosnt mean everyone sat around and said "oh, well we have no hero of time to save our ass, so lets just let this big ol, bad guy with the triforce of power whipe us all out. im sure that gorons, zora, hylians, and even the kokiri, went to march in and try to kick some gannon ass! :D anyway, the point im making by bringing up that portion of the "timeline" is that, really there is no way possible to make the most exciting part of the "timeline", a single player game, or not a game at all, so an mmo format would be perfect for that part of the story.

Tsuteto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol