Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Taking things for granted and giving certain gray-area products more attention than they need to keep them in the spotlight. That's kinda what I pulled from the text. Could be wrong though.
Yeah I can understand that, it's definitely the reason why some fan games get take downs (the moment they get talked about on websites like Kotaku or whatever, you know they're done). That's why I would give some of the blame to repackers, I've known people downloading that shit without even knowing what an emulator was. Tho they mostly used Ryujinx for that because it would work better than the free Yuzu branch.

So to me, it's mostly because Yuzu was just making a lot of doubloons otherwise they probably would have went for Ryujinx at the same time. I don't think that « the average pirate » is really an issue. You can make any emulator you want and ask for some donations, just don't build a business over it. I find it irrelevant to blame the average pirate when, as far as I'm concerned, Yuzu just got too close to the fire.

Pretty sure both Yuzu and Citra had free builds in their respective repositories last I checked. Based on my understanding of why Nintendo went after the company of Yuzu, I didn't see anything about certain builds being paid only being an issue (maybe I missed it), the premise seemed to revolve around circumvention of security measures, allowing piracy (emulators don't, piracy is the cause of the user at their own discretion, but I digress), though it was also made a point that leaks and shit happened and people misused emulators and such for them, which they aren't wrong, people did do this. Maybe on one hand going after an emulator for people's actions seems dumb, I mean logically going after the source (which isn't the emulator) of the issue seems more sound, but I also know that if you take away a means for people to abuse what they get their hands on, it can still stir the pot just the same, just from a different angle. It still sets a precidence, a sign if you will of maybe calming down on the abusive behavior on the pirated contents.
Citra doesn't have the same « issue » than Yuzu did.
Yes, Yuzu did had a free build, but it was the « stable » branch and the early access branch was the one that would receive day one updates at the same frequency as Ryujinx, except you had to subscribe to their patreon to have access to it.

There was many ways to have access to those without paying, but I remember one time I wanted to ask for some support on their discord, and because it was about the early access build, they asked me to link my patreon to Discord so I can have the role, basically proving I paid for it.

That's why they were able to get 26,500$ when I checked a few hours ago before they take down their account. At one point it was more than 30k.
Ryujinx has barely enough to have a single develop to work full time on it. That's because subscribing to their patreon only support the project, they don't put any branch of Ryujinx under a paywall, unlike Yuzu.

That's why I'm saying that was most likely the main issue and brought Nintendo's hammer (they basically built a business model around emulation, where Ryujinx doesn't even tho they get some money, peanuts compared to what Yuzu was making). Otherwise I don't see why they wouldn't have gone for both Yuzu and Ryujinx at the same time.

Reactions: Kioku

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah fuck Macron I'm building a guillotine tomorrow
I know right, but I was mostly talking about these "hadopi" programs and such, where they track ips visiting some website (mostly torrent website) and send them email and fines if they visit them too much

Blue Sun

Trophies
Website
bluesunstudios.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
I would say "use ryujinx"
I'll consider that seeing how my Nintendo Switch's Micro SD card reader has gone out and I am long since past the warranty since it was a gen 1 Nintendo Switch model. So many games I can no longer play in tandem with such little space on the native Nintendo Switch itself.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I can understand that, it's definitely the reason why some fan games get take downs (the moment they get talked about on websites like Kotaku or whatever, you know they're done). That's why I would give some of the blame to repackers, I've known people downloading that shit without even knowing what an emulator was. Tho they mostly used Ryujinx for that because it would work better than the free Yuzu branch.

So to me, it's mostly because Yuzu was just making a lot of doubloons otherwise they probably would have went for Ryujinx at the same time. I don't think that « the average pirate » is really an issue. You can make any emulator you want and ask for some donations, just don't build a business over it. I find it irrelevant to blame the average pirate when, as far as I'm concerned, Yuzu just got too close to the fire.

Citra doesn't have the same « issue » than Yuzu did.
Yes, Yuzu did had a free build, but it was the « stable » branch and the early access branch was the one that would receive day one updates at the same frequency as Ryujinx, except you had to subscribe to their patreon to have access to it.

There was many ways to have access to those without paying, but I remember one time I wanted to ask for some support on their discord, and because it was about the early access build, they asked me to link my patreon to Discord so I can have the role, basically proving I paid for it.

That's why they were able to get 26,500$ when I checked a few hours ago before they take down their account. At one point it was more than 30k.
Ryujinx has barely enough to have a single develop to work full time on it. That's because subscribing to their patreon only support the project, they don't put any branch of Ryujinx under a paywall, unlike Yuzu.

That's why I'm saying that was most likely the main issue and brought Nintendo's hammer (they basically built a business model around emulation, where Ryujinx doesn't even tho they get some money, peanuts compared to what Yuzu was making). Otherwise I don't see why they wouldn't have gone for both Yuzu and Ryujinx at the same time.
Fair point, I forgot about Ryujinx.

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if you have migswitch for average users it's useless since not all may have backups and other important files like certificates
Did you not see that you can use the same certificate on every game you have on the MIGSWITCH??? Meaning you only need one certificate i'm not joking and there's a full tutorial and video tutorial yup!!! You only need any one certificate and the initial data bin for that game which is all over the net and it works!!! Only 1 of the 5 files on the cart with the XCI paired with the certificate of any game are needed this is way worse than what yuzu was but wait it's okay because its on Nintendo's Hardware using the MIGSWITCH CART THEY MADE to sell us a system :switch:

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I know right, but I was mostly talking about these "hadopi" programs and such, where they track ips visiting some website (mostly torrent website) and send them email and fines if they visit them too much
I know I know but fuck Macron nonetheless
Hadopi is no more tho. They replaced it by something else but I don't know if it works the same way or not.
They definitely still have ISPs blocking some websites tho but you can just change your DNS and you're fine.

Tho I think they forced Rumble to not operate in France I think, because of the war in Ukraine. Which is pretty bs in my opinion. RT France was also taken down for the same reason. So much for free speech I guess

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know I know but fuck Macron nonetheless
Hadopi is no more tho. They replaced it by something else but I don't know if it works the same way or not.
They definitely still have ISPs blocking some websites tho but you can just change your DNS and you're fine.

Tho I think they forced Rumble to not operate in France I think, because of the war in Ukraine. Which is pretty bs in my opinion. RT France was also taken down for the same reason. So much for free speech I guess
they replaced it... yes and no. It changed of name, but it is still the same thing. French protested to take it down because it was draining more money than they could get from it (at the "disband", they had spent over 80M Euro, for less than 80 000 euro of revenue)

Blue Sun

Trophies
Website
bluesunstudios.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
This is no big deal if development ceases, the emu is already built up very well and the damage has been done.
If nintendo released Zelda TOTK on better hardware that wasn't hacked since year one they wouldn't be able to complain about this. I played it on my pc because it just looks and feels playable then on my switch. I'm glad i can backup my game and play them on Yuzu in MUCH better quality.
That is blaming the victim for "making themselves a target" that made the perpetrator want to target them. It is merely a matter of who thinks they can get away with something to little or negative consequences upon themselves and whatever excuse they can come up with.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
they replaced it... yes and no. It changed of name, but it is still the same thing. French protested to take it down because it was draining more money than they could get from it (at the "disband", they had spent over 80M Euro, for less than 80 000 euro of revenue)
Yeah I've heard it's about the same thing, It's just that as I don't know too much about the story behind it so I'm not getting ahead of myself. Back then I just had to know because I would try to save my father from getting into trouble but now that I live by myself I just never hear of it

I did heard that a similar system was in place in Germany but MUCH worse when it comes to what you have to pay when you get caught. From what I can see what's illegal is « sharing » but it's basically just seeding torrent files. Hadopi could only detect you that way so it's really the same shit

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...