OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well. Just curious.

I've got the 1.18 firmware right now. I have no Slot-2 card, so I'm wondering what the benefits are for slot-1 card users, only. Better compatibility?

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't think YSMenu works on the R4. Or maybe it doesn't boot games correctly. I tried using it before and something was wrong so I didn't bother with it again.

SonicRax

Egg-Mayo: The Movie
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't mean to:
a) Sound like a complete n00b
b) Post in the wrong thread if I am...

But. What exactly is YSMenu? I don't think I've heard of it until I read this thread. O.O

SonicRax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah so, like MasterPenguin said, it's some kind of Custom Firmware, apparently supposed to have more features than regular R4DS firmware (Well... I guess that was a bit obvious. xD).

http://www.vimeo.com/1278707

I think this video shows it running on an R4DS.

Quoted from said video is:
"It's an experimental patch for the R4 flashcart from Yasu. Supports NDS backups, GBA backups, rumble, cheats, file operations, etc. all in the same system menu.

Homebrew is not working yet since there's no DLDI-patcher.

Basically is a R4-like menu but with more features than the R4 firmware and integration with slot-2."

Pendor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sonicrax said:
Ah so, like MasterPenguin said, it's some kind of Custom Firmware, apparently supposed to have more features than regular R4DS firmware (Well... I guess that was a bit obvious. xD).

http://www.vimeo.com/1278707

I think this video shows it running on an R4DS.

Quoted from said video is:
"It's an experimental patch for the R4 flashcart from Yasu. Supports NDS backups, GBA backups, rumble, cheats, file operations, etc. all in the same system menu.

Homebrew is not working yet since there's no DLDI-patcher.

Basically is a R4-like menu but with more features than the R4 firmware and integration with slot-2."

That's my video!

happy.gif

A few days ago I tried it with the latest firmware and everything worked fine. I booted all my NDS backups without any trouble, rumble worked fine and so did GBA support. The only problem I had was with the Pokemon Emerald ROM and I suspect it was because I patched it.

Besides that, even if it is "experimental" as Yasu said, it worked great on my R4.

Pendor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
EvilShenanigans! said:
Pendor said:
Oh, I can upload the patch and the other files needed if any of you don't know how you do it.

Just ask me.
Go ahead. I wanna try it out. plz

You'll have to wait until tomorrow 'cause I'm not in my house right now.

QUOTE(MasterPenguin @ Jul 26 2008, 06:34 PM)
Well. Just curious.

I've got the 1.18 firmware right now. I have no Slot-2 card, so I'm wondering what the benefits are for slot-1 card users, only. Better compatibility?

As far as I understand, no. YSMenu uses the original previous firmware. It just gives you more integration with slot-2 cards and some other minor settings but all in the same menu.

Dermy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pendor said:
EvilShenanigans! said:
Pendor said:
Oh, I can upload the patch and the other files needed if any of you don't know how you do it.

Just ask me.

I'll wait, that's fine. In the meantime, I will try out some I found on filefront.

Pendor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
EvilShenanigans! said:
Pendor said:
EvilShenanigans! said:
Pendor said:

Just ask me.

I'll wait, that's fine. In the meantime, I will try out some I found on filefront.

I got it here for any of you who are wondering. It works too.

That one is a from an old firmware and it has very low compatibility. Try using the last one instead or wait until I upload it.

SonicRax

Trophies
XP
Country
The YSMenu is a lot better than the current R4DS firmware, and it's good for owners of Slot-2s. I think the only slight issue with it that you could even call a problem, would be that the games take slightly longer to boot than on the R4's firmware. Still though, this is hardly what you could call a terrible problem, as its only minor.

I have one question to ask though, but it might be off-topic. Using R4Crypt, would it be even remotely possible to convert the firmwares of other flashcarts first, and then take said firmware and change it into a _DS_MENU.DAT? I'm kinda curious about this now.
rolleyes.gif

Pendor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sonicrax said:
The YSMenu is a lot better than the current R4DS firmware, and it's good for owners of Slot-2s. I think the only slight issue with it that you could even call a problem, would be that the games take slightly longer to boot than on the R4's firmware. Still though, this is hardly what you could call a terrible problem, as its only minor.

I have one question to ask though, but it might be off-topic. Using R4Crypt, would it be even remotely possible to convert the firmwares of other flashcarts first, and then take said firmware and change it into a _DS_MENU.DAT? I'm kinda curious about this now.
rolleyes.gif

Basically, all firmwares are nds binaries (somehow encrypted or not).

But I believe you can't. Firmwares work together with the flashcart hardware capabilities.

R4Crypt just allows you to encrypt a binary file so the cart will recognize it as the R4 firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/T78NsMwZOA0