YouTube Offering Ad-Free Paid Subscriptions

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tom Bombadildo, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    youtube.png

For a long time now, YouTube has offered monetization options for Youtube video creators that play monetized ads before, during, or after videos. A lot of people aren't too "thrilled" about the ads, and a lot of people simply ignore them or use adblock, but now YouTube is offering a third option; paid subscriptions.

This option will act in a similar fashion to Twitch.tv's paid subscription service, fans can choose to pay a monthly fee and subscribe to their favorite YouTube channels, bypassing all ads while continuing to support their favorite content creators. There aren't a lot of details on pricing or whether it can be a set fee by the creator or a YouTube-set price, but it's happening.

You can read the full email sent to content creators here:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    This is an interesting step forward for YouTube, and opens up a whole new way for creators to earn money from their videos. Whether there will be a huge following for this, who knows, but I'm certain that many are more than willing to help support their favorite reviewer or Let's Player.

Tomato Hentai, T-hug and BORTZ like this.
  2. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Just makes me want to use adblock on youtube even more. I remember the days when youtube didn't even have monetization.

Kippykip, matpower, weatMod and 5 others like this.
  3. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    What a shitty idea, who the heck would pay money for that?

4. Nightwish

Nightwish GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2013
    Portugal
    Only if Google were to stop selling me and storing data for the dictatorships of tomorrow. Since they won't, I won't stop using adblock either, and that doesn't even approach a fair trade.

5. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Twitch has the same exact setup, and streamers get tons of money by people subscribing. I'd imagine the same exact thing will happen with this.

6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Adblock Plus, anti-adblock, etc and I'm already set :creep: Screw paid YT.

DaFixer, matpower, Jiehfeng and 2 others like this.
  7. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Sorry, I'm not going to start paying for something I already enjoy for free using Adblock Plus. Terrible idea, Google.

weatMod and Margen67 like this.
  8. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    I assume this is what's responsible for my PS3's YouTube app suddenly interrupting my videos with ads all the time. Wasn't doing it last week. Now the ads just show up out of nowhere and when one video ends it plays an ad that stops the next video loading, then when I click the next video in the sequence half the time it then inexplicably skips the video and goes to the next list.

Well fuck you Youtube, put as many ads as you like up, I'll skip every single one on principle just to avoid paying you anything because you're pissing me off.

Margen67 likes this.
  9. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    This is completely different, that setup works with twitch because its centered around games. People who take twitch seriously stream for hours, multiple times a week. Most people on youtube (even some of the big stars who arent involved in gaming) upload something once a week or even longer. A twitch subscription is like a gaming netflix. This formula wont work for news related youtubers (who would pay for news they can get for free), wont work for music either (spoitify), dont even get me started on beauty...

Margen67 likes this.
  10. pyromaniac123

pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Sep 24, 2011
    AHAHAHAHAHAHA. Not a chance.

11. cdoty

cdoty GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    That probably explains the recent rules to remove sponsorships from YouTube videos.

12. Par39

Par39 The Life Hacker

Aug 13, 2011
    Finland
    It is not a terrible idea, some of us want to support the people we enjoy and have turned off Adblock, now you also have the option to remove the ads while still supporting the Youtuber. I think it's a good idea, depending on pricing, but I'll stick to watching ads.

filfat, Hells Malice and NEP like this.
  13. cdoty

cdoty GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    United States

The sad thing is you're screwing over the creators. YouTube is making a fortune and a few thousand here or there isn't going to stop them. But a few thousand will stop people creating videos for YouTube, or result in them adding their own sponsored content.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I remember when YouTube didn't have monetization too. Do you know what else it didn't have back then? Worthwhile content. Content doesn't create itself, servers don't run themselves, and it just so happens that YouTube doesn't actually make any money for Google. No joke, it was a big story a few months back.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/youtube-still-doesnt-make-google-any-money-2015-2?r=US

Whatever revenue they get is spent on maintenance, expansion and commissions for YouTubers - Google virtually doesn't profit from YouTube at all.
    See above. YouTube is not profitable, it's a money pit. However, what you're saying about screwing the creators over is in fact true - YouTubers get commissions based on ad revenue - skipping ads harms them, not Google. This is why I'm running Adblock Plus on just about any site except YouTube on the channels that I subscribe to or other sites that I want to support.

15. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I can say the same exact thing about streamers. Some only stream once a week, some only stream a couple hours, some people stream free games anybody can play for free. A lot of Youtubers upload hours of videos, multiple times a day. The highest subscription count Youtubers are either Let's Players or Reviewers who upload videos daily. Sure, there are some Youtubers out there who upload once a week, but who's to say they'll even meet the requirements for this option? I would imagine, much like their partnership service, Youtube will have some sort of requirements uploaders have to meet before they can use this.

16. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Hmm adblock for free or pay for no ads from YouTube??? Not sure what is the better deal

(Sarcasm)

17. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    Guise I'm so smart I block the ads with a program and I'm proud of it xd fuck those who want to earn money from their work xdd

18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    This depends on whether or not you want to support content creators. If you pay close attention to the post, you'll notice that it's a subscription for fans of certain channels who want to show their support but don't want to watch ads while at it.

filfat likes this.
  19. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    If I wanted to support them I'd just use patreon or donate.

Nightwish likes this.
  20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Not all YouTubers have Patreon or accept direct donations. They're not beggars, they're content creators. Some people want to earn money, not just get donations. That, and there's the mess of taxation to deal with etc. - pay slips are an easier way to manage that.