Your dream WebApp

unr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, here`s the thing.

I saw some thread on GBATemp earlier about people giving ideas for DS homebrew and devs actually coding them.

I propose a similar concept:

People post their ideas here, or even better, PM me with them and I realize best ones (if they`re good that is).

Only difference is that we`re not talking about coding homebrew here.
We`re talking about websites/web services.

Think: What would you like to see on WEB? Is there a good service available that could be further improved?

I`ll take care of the design, coding and hosting.

And of course you`ll get a proper credit for your idea.

What do you think?

unr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rent a dedicated server with four Xeon CPUs, plenty of bandwidth and 100mb/s uplink.

I have experience in writing valid HTML/xHTML/CSS/JavaScript/WML/PHP code, using MySQL as my database, got some experience with AJAX.

Been seriously coding for past 2 years. If you want to know more details just PM me.

unr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don`t know flash or java.

QUOTE said:
Think: What would you like to see on WEB? Is there a good service available that could be further improved?

I am sure you guys can think of something unique and interesting.

It could be a mix of different services, it could be something trendy (web 2.0), completely new (web 3.0) or stupid (web 4.836b)
If I like it I will make it.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd say the ultimate pokemon website...

Screenshotted walkthroughs, maps, dex, FAQs, guides, articles etc

Then again, there's about 4 sites out there already. But I don't think there's a single one that can handle the server load
Edit: there's not a single site with a pokemon site with a pokedex app that can handle the server load. Veekun's comes close, but it's slowly dying as time passes by [more pokefreaks]

unr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could take care of the system, but somebody else would have to take care of content.

Keep the ideas coming.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'd say the ultimate pokemon website...

Screenshotted walkthroughs, maps, dex, FAQs, guides, articles etc

Then again, there's about 4 sites out there already. But I don't think there's a single one that can handle the server load
Edit: there's not a single site with a pokemon site with a pokedex app that can handle the server load. Veekun's comes close, but it's slowly dying as time passes by [more pokefreaks]

nice idea on the pokedex, it could be made to look all web 2.0ish. We could also use the basic gbatemp layout(with permission) for familiarity.

ZzzZilla

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Here's a "stupid (web 4.836b)" idea for you...

Imagine a Google-earth type display, where you have a zoomable globe.
Except, this has something like Wikipedia built into it.
Basically, what I'm thinking of is a virtual representation of the world, as defined by those who log in and contribute to this app (let's just call it Gloob).

Once you're approved as a member, you get to add anything to this virtual globe...be it reviews of real restaurants somewhere, a travelogue of some landmark they've visited, some interesting factoid of a place, biographies of famous people, origins of classic moveis or movies or their own personal profile. Think of this, if you will, as a visual and geographical representation of the world.

Additionally, there will be sidebars that allow for bookmarking of favourites, and even for personal communication with other members, who can also have their own personal webpages (for blogging, original music sharing and what not).

Notably, all entries should have tagging for search functions, or a random "spin-the-globe" selection.

For future updates, there could be a "time-machine" function to showcase historical events of the world, or even zoom out beyond the Earth for some extra-planetary exploration (ideal for sci-fi stuff like trekkie trivial!).

unr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokedex navigation could be handled using AJAX and some JS effects, so it would feel really smooth.

Maps could be implemented similar to Google Maps, with scrolling, zooming and all.

Walkthroughs, FAQs, guides, articles wouldn`t be hard to implement either.

@ZzzZilla - Awesome idea! I really like your thinking.

I could utilise Google Maps API for this.

Basically, people could add an attachment to any place of the world. Be it a video, mp3 or simple text.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Because there is demand?
biggrin.gif

Until FF:Xii DS (e) or FF:CC comes out of course

unr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
once the pokedex base is established porting it over for other games shouldn't be so hard.
Actually, if the site is going to expand to other games, it`s better to think about it right from the start.
Unless of course you are talking about starting different sites for each game.

Personally I think if such sites want to survive they have to offer something unique and exclusive.

While pokedex would be a great addition, it would only appeal die-hard pokemon fans.
Ordinary Joe doesn`t care about what kind of pokeman farts dust or what`s the best way to defeat the mighty somekindofsaurus.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
once the pokedex base is established porting it over for other games shouldn't be so hard.
Actually, if the site is going to expand to other games, it`s better to think about it right from the start.
Unless of course you are talking about starting different sites for each game.

Personally I think if such sites want to survive they have to offer something unique and exclusive.

While pokedex would be a great addition, it would only appeal die-hard pokemon fans.
Ordinary Joe doesn`t care about what kind of pokeman farts dust or what`s the best way to defeat the mighty somekindofsaurus.

I assume it would have to expand, the pokemon craze will die out soon enough.

Its going to be tough thinking up something that has never been done. My 2 cents

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/j-JgIxFZTKY?si=9yG57ooZm1wvSOsz