Your bricked 3ds might not be so bricked

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by vgamer, Jan 10, 2016.

1. vgamer
    OP

vgamer Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2015
    Netherlands
    So today I tried to downgrade my n3ds xl using menuhax (9.8 eu) but during the installing of the cia's it displayed an error and said I had to power down. (I checked wheter I had the correct files, and everything even md5/teracopy) Then when I started it back it was a black screen. Because I used the new sysupdater I then tried to use recover mode to update back to 10.3 but after a while it said it could not update (some error) and I had to turn the power off. I then rebooted again but I got a black screen. This time recovery mode was also not accessible so I was already panicking thinking I had bricked it.

In a desperate attempt I remembered reading about removing the sd card and then booting it again. Like a miracle it somehow booted, even in 9.2 firmware. After a reformat of the sd card it seemed like it functioned again as normal. (However, I didn't attempt to install any rxtools or cfw because I suspect the 9.2 downgrade didn't complete but upgrading back to 10.3 went fine)

So in short, if you think you have a hard brick you should try removing the sd card. It might be your lucky day.

2. digiw0rx

digiw0rx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2015
    I think this is pretty common knowledge by know? it was documented in all the downgrade threads.

3. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    You mean..a soft brick?

Because, this won't work for a hard brick. You're screwed there.

rotebrotobias likes this.
  4. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    We all know this... A wrong Menuhax installed blocks the 3DS from powering on (9.8 version in 9.2 in this case), removing the SD fixes it since theme data is stored there, this is in every downgrade thread to remove the SD if your 3DS doesn't power on, you aren't bringing any new information here...

5. BothyBhoy

BothyBhoy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 27, 2015
    No new info here, but thank you for sharing. At least your thinking of others. Well done you!!!