Gaming Yoshis Island

sonofx51

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anywhere I can find out about the differences in the SNES and GBA versions? I haven't played this game in years.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Is there anywhere I can find out about the differences in the SNES and GBA versions? I haven't played this game in years.
if I recall correctly, the only differences are that yoshi has the 'cute voice' sound clips from Yoshi's Story, the slightly smaller resolution obstructs 1 or 2 things in the entire game, and the effect when you touchy a fuzzy (get dizzy) is not as nice as the snes version

sonofx51

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so pretty much the same as the snes. I never played it on the GBA and since I finished up Super Mario World on the GBA, I have been wanting to play Yoshi's Island on there as well.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Changes:
-----------------------------
Graphics:

1: Brighter and lower resolution to fit the GBA screen
2: Touch fuzzy effect is more jagged and not present in the farthest background
3: Some of the rock-textured platforms scroll vertically more choppily (as does one of the lava effects). Strangely this problem is only present in one of the platforms and lavas. Only a couple of levels have this strange issue (probably just lazy programming on Nintendo's part).
4: The stomach of the frog boss doesn't have a wave effect anymore.
5: The ending sequence with the stork is choppier and slower.
6: The spell effect where Kamek transforms the boss in the beginning of a battle doesn't have the colored transparent curtain that used to pore over the screen like a liquid. He just drops some sparkling dust over the screen. Strangely, the effect is still seen when you beat the boss and multicolored spheres bloom out of the boss. I guess another lazy programming error.

There are probably some other things lost in translation graphically, but the art style and most of the primary effects remain intact. I only did this deep of an analysis because I used an emulator to view them side by side. Most people will pay no heed to the changes (I myself forgive them because of a great game.
------------------------------
Sound:

1 Yoshi now has his "Yoshi's Story" voice and some other sound effects have been added from that game too.
2: Slight GBAifying of the music. They didn't really butcher it much, and it's still good and catchy.
3: Old sound effects have also been toned down a bit. Kamek has a heavily altered version of his old voice and it sounds like it's being played through a badly tuned radio underwater. Mario has a different (but no less obnoxious) cry.
---------------------------

Yoshi's Island Advance is still the same game and people who have played it a long time ago will notice the alterations much less than people fresh off the SNES version. A game I highly recommend and a great portable game with a long lifespan. I give the SNES version a 10/10 and the GBA version a 9.5/10. It retains the same gameplay with some cut corners in GFX/sound, and it's PORTABLE!

Torte

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hey dude, congrats! I got 100% at the end of 2003(?) and it cemented YI as one of the most enjoyable platformers I've ever played - and I've played virtually everything: from Sonic to Mario, Ristar to Dynamite Headdy, Earthworm Jim to the many Disney games.

Kaos

Good show!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Changes:
-----------------------------
Graphics:

1: Brighter and lower resolution to fit the GBA screen
2: Touch fuzzy effect is more jagged and not present in the farthest background
3: Some of the rock-textured platforms scroll vertically more choppily (as does one of the lava effects). Strangely this problem is only present in one of the platforms and lavas. Only a couple of levels have this strange issue (probably just lazy programming on Nintendo's part).
4: The stomach of the frog boss doesn't have a wave effect anymore.
5: The ending sequence with the stork is choppier and slower.
6: The spell effect where Kamek transforms the boss in the beginning of a battle doesn't have the colored transparent curtain that used to pore over the screen like a liquid. He just drops some sparkling dust over the screen. Strangely, the effect is still seen when you beat the boss and multicolored spheres bloom out of the boss. I guess another lazy programming error.

There are probably some other things lost in translation graphically, but the art style and most of the primary effects remain intact. I only did this deep of an analysis because I used an emulator to view them side by side. Most people will pay no heed to the changes (I myself forgive them because of a great game.
------------------------------
Sound:

1 Yoshi now has his "Yoshi's Story" voice and some other sound effects have been added from that game too.
2: Slight GBAifying of the music. They didn't really butcher it much, and it's still good and catchy.
3: Old sound effects have also been toned down a bit. Kamek has a heavily altered version of his old voice and it sounds like it's being played through a badly tuned radio underwater. Mario has a different (but no less obnoxious) cry.
---------------------------

Yoshi's Island Advance is still the same game and people who have played it a long time ago will notice the alterations much less than people fresh off the SNES version. A game I highly recommend and a great portable game with a long lifespan. I give the SNES version a 10/10 and the GBA version a 9.5/10. It retains the same gameplay with some cut corners in GFX/sound, and it's PORTABLE!

Don't forget the 6 extra levels you get when you defeat the final boss.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Then just maybe, I'll do it again on the GBA. I've been waiting to play the DS Yoshi's until I get down with the SNES game.
You'll be really disappointed, especially if you've just finished the faaaar better SNES game
frown.gif

Boothanew

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've never played the GBA version either..but i think i'm going to invest in it because I have the micro and i think it would look nice on it's screen.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol