Yifan Lu Announces HENKaku - A New Native Vita Homebrew Enabler for 3.60.

Earlier today, Yifan Lu, a well-known member of the Vita hacking scene famous for the Rejuvenate hack for the Dev Assistants, has announced that a new (native!) Vita homebrew enabler for the latest firmware version, as of writing (3.60), will be arriving tomorrow at "9:00AM UTC".

The new hack, known as "HENKaku", will require the following:
  • A Vita/PSTV running 3.60
  • A memcard with at least 10MB of free space (internal memory is currently not supported!)
  • An FTP client
  • An internet connection**
**Offline support is now available! Launch the exploit straight from the email app without the need for internet access at all! See the unofficial release thread for more details. (Internet connection still required for installation)

This is a small paragraph of Yifan Lu himself explaining what the properties of this new homebrew enabler does:

HENkaku simply lets you install homebrew as bubbles in LiveArea. It is a native hack that disables the filesystem sandbox. It installs molecularShell, a fork of VitaShell that lets you access the memory card over FTP and install homebrew packages (which we create as VPK files). With vita-toolchain, developers have access to the same system features licensed developers have access to as well as undocumented features that licensed developers cannot use (including overclocking the processors).

The hack has been released at http://henkaku.me ~ Furthermore, the hack is said to be exclusive to 3.60, and there is to be no backports for the time being.

:arrow: Source: http://yifan.lu/2016/07/28/henkaku-vita-homebrew-for-everyone/

Last edited by , , Reason: Added info about offline installation.

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Tested a bunch of games I own and compared them to hardware, since my SNES is pretty much always hooked up because it's an amazing console!
Only game that required extensive tweaking was Yoshi's Siland, funny since I've been replaying it on SNES as of late :)

I tested some more obscure titles I own like Do-Re-Mi Fantasy, Hagane, Pocky & Rocky 1 and 2, Pop'n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure and the shmup, Cotton 100% and Rushing Beat RAN(Brawl Brothers but I own the Japanese version with the superior sewers level), Gambare Goemon 2, Super Aleste(Space Megaforce) and something else I can't remember atm and compared them to hardware. For the NTSC-J and US titles I used my US SNES, for the PAL ones my PAL SNES.
All worked beautifully at
- 333Hz
- 60fps limit
- no frame skipping
- disabled VSync
- disabled smoothing
maybe some had some minor skips and audio stuff but nothing major from what little I tested
I chose this configuration because I felt it's least battery consuming
I'm SO happy I can play these games with no frameskipping as even a single frameskip in old games sometimes bothers me since I play them so much on hardware I know what they're like, even tho I often play them slowed down on my PAL SNES
Still I feel it's best if you use 444Hz of course.
Whirlo - or whatever the Japanese title is, since I own the Japanese version was best played at 444Hz as 333Hz gave me slowdown when there were lots of enemies on screen

I then proceeded to test some more popular games I own and could compare to hardware
- I noticed that Sparkster had some pretty noticable slowdown at times with the above configuration but 444Hz fixed that for the the first two levels I tested.
- Yoshi's Island requires some tweaking and frameskip set to 1 but it is playable enough
- Kirby 3 sadly isn't playable at all, I didn't even need to compare it to the real thing, I own the SFC version, no amount of tweaking could make this beautiful game run at even half decent framerate and speed :(
- TMNT Turtles in Time runs beautifully at 333Hz
- Final Fight 2 and 3 both run beautifully at 333Hz with the above set up but 444Hz is of course where it's at for all games

I also tested some obscure games I want to buy but are isnanely expensive at the moment, I'm unable to compare these to hardware, they all ran very nicely
- Undercover Cops - 333Hz - ran very nicely
- Rendering Ranger - requires 444Hz otherwise it's pretty bad, 444 was great for the first level I tested
- Ghost Chaser Densei - ran very nicely at 333Hz from what I played, one of my favorite beat em ups btw
- Magical Pop'n - ran nicely at 333Hz

EDIT:
I just discovered that Mario All Stars + World doesn't work right, or rather once you select a game the controls don't work.
I don't know about the version without World since I own this one and tired this one

Last edited by Shinigami Kiba,

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Do you guys think Kirby 3 is going to be playable at some point? Does the Vita have the strength to run it?
If my 2003 XBox can I have high hopes the vita will too :)

VincentBeasley

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda find it funny that I would give up vita games without a second thought just to have perfect emulators on the go xD I would literally have no need for them if I could play NES, SNES, GEN, SMS, PCE, GB, GBC, GBA PSX and PSP games anywhere on a fantastic piece of hardware (I really only like the vita for the system itself)

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
I kinda find it funny that I would give up vita games without a second thought just to have perfect emulators on the go xD I would literally have no need for them if I could play NES, SNES, GEN, SMS, PCE, GB, GBC, GBA PSX and PSP games anywhere on a fantastic piece of hardware (I really only like the vita for the system itself)

Why don't you have a PSP then?

Reactions: cvskid

felixsrg

Temp's Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

The PSP is good with emulation, but not perfect. PS Vita with its specs can get a much better emulation for GBA, SNES and N64 with enough time.

And I personally prefer how the PS Vita left joystick works in PSP games.

All that together plus the Vita apps, games (original) and internet explorer, makes it much better than just having a PSP. That in my opinion.

VincentBeasley

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSP is good with emulation, but not perfect. PS Vita with its specs can get a much better emulation for GBA, SNES and N64 with enough time.

And I personally prefer how the PS Vita left joystick works in PSP games.

All that together plus the Vita apps, games (original) and internet explorer, makes it much better than just having a PSP. That in my opinion.
This lol. I do have a psp but the vita has so much more potential and I prefer the screen and form factor of the vita over the psp. Plus I only have a psp 1000...

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This lol. I do have a psp but the vita has so much more potential and I prefer the screen and form factor of the vita over the psp. Plus I only have a psp 1000...
PSP 1000 is fine as long as you aren't playing fighting games on it.

D

Deleted User

OP
i wonder why the vita never got hacked like 3ds with the gateway flashcard. weird why we still don't even have a flashcard
The Cobra Black Fin is supplied with a flashcart which you can put a microSD inside it.

orly3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
3. are there plans for setting up a vitabrew wiki a-la 3dsbrew to support the devs (with only known devs allowed to edit)? {maybe pick a different name as vitabrew is some kind of health drink}
There already is one: http://vitadevwiki.com
I thought that everyone knew about it already, but nobody else has answered your question so I guess not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
You shouldn't be so rude with the Blackfin they made the Vita scene progress as they could.

They're interested in selling pirate hardware, that's all. They haven't even brought an exploit to attention like Gateway did, they're just emulating real carts and doing a completely minimal job at that.

xfxmrl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
You shouldn't be so rude with the Blackfin they made the Vita scene progress as they could.
They should write a software to redirect sd card slot to cartridge slot, and rebrand blackfin as micro sd adapter :)
But even then they will ask for it higher than 100 $ :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy