Yifan Lu Announces HENKaku - A New Native Vita Homebrew Enabler for 3.60.

Earlier today, Yifan Lu, a well-known member of the Vita hacking scene famous for the Rejuvenate hack for the Dev Assistants, has announced that a new (native!) Vita homebrew enabler for the latest firmware version, as of writing (3.60), will be arriving tomorrow at "9:00AM UTC".

The new hack, known as "HENKaku", will require the following:
  • A Vita/PSTV running 3.60
  • A memcard with at least 10MB of free space (internal memory is currently not supported!)
  • An FTP client
  • An internet connection**
**Offline support is now available! Launch the exploit straight from the email app without the need for internet access at all! See the unofficial release thread for more details. (Internet connection still required for installation)

This is a small paragraph of Yifan Lu himself explaining what the properties of this new homebrew enabler does:

HENkaku simply lets you install homebrew as bubbles in LiveArea. It is a native hack that disables the filesystem sandbox. It installs molecularShell, a fork of VitaShell that lets you access the memory card over FTP and install homebrew packages (which we create as VPK files). With vita-toolchain, developers have access to the same system features licensed developers have access to as well as undocumented features that licensed developers cannot use (including overclocking the processors).

The hack has been released at http://henkaku.me ~ Furthermore, the hack is said to be exclusive to 3.60, and there is to be no backports for the time being.

:arrow: Source: http://yifan.lu/2016/07/28/henkaku-vita-homebrew-for-everyone/

Last edited by , , Reason: Added info about offline installation.

Yokimari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest nightly of mGBA seems to be fairly good by the way. Grabbing a few more games to test now ♪

Edit: And as a bonus, it's the first thing I've downloaded that actually has an icon and background for the Vita menu!

Edit2: Harvest Moon loads and plays well, but it completely froze the app to try and load Mystery Dungeon Red ;-;

Doesn't run on PSTV, so I can't try it.

CoreMessageInspector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The latest nightly of mGBA seems to be fairly good by the way. Grabbing a few more games to test now ♪

Edit: And as a bonus, it's the first thing I've downloaded that actually has an icon and background for the Vita menu!

Edit2: Harvest Moon loads and plays well, but it completely froze the app to try and load Mystery Dungeon Red ;-;
can confirm that
pokemon emerald is playable now and runs much better with little sound crackling

chocoboss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Isn't it possible to just port gpsp to henkaku ? I dunno if mgba is a moded gpsp or something different but if it is no need to invent hot water ( french expression I don't know if it works in english )

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actualy using gpsp with hbl and it works great and game look pretty Nice on vita that way
Yeah, I use it too since mGBA still has kinks. What I mean is I have GFX Filtering off on gpsp and the pixels aren't the right shape. It's mostly noticeable when reading text. It looks fine otherwise. With mGBA this doesn't happen.

Top is gpsp. Middle is mGBA. Bottom is the real thing.

29lEm42.jpg
a52CfIz.jpg
Ysv6Lku.jpg

Last edited by invaderyoyo,

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't it possible to just port gpsp to henkaku ? I dunno if mgba is a moded gpsp or something different but if it is no need to invent hot water ( french expression I don't know if it works in english )

The comparable English expression is probably "no need to reinvent the wheel".

To your comment, mgba is not a modified gpsp. They're fairly (Very) different. However, gpsp will probably have a HENkaku compatible build fairly soon.

satan89

Trophies
XP
Country
India

mGBA is a emulator project that runs on multiple platforms including Vita and 3ds.
gpsp was originally built only for emulating on the PSP.
Theoretically, mGBA should be superior to gpsp (via VHBL) because of the hacks 'nativeness' that gives it more resources. gpsp in its current state is limited to the PSP hardware capability

chocoboss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What I mean is to port gpsp to henkaku so the emulator can fully use the vita hw not like now in vhbl where it is limited to "psp hw"

satan89

Trophies
XP
Country
India
What I mean is to port gpsp to henkaku so the emulator can fully use the vita hw not like now in vhbl where it is limited to "psp hw"

I think they'd have to start from scratch if they were to bring it to HENkaku, though I might be wrong about that

Firion Hope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is awesome, I'm incredibly grateful to the guys who worked this out. I can't help thinking it's going to be quite short lived though. PSN and PS+ and remote play etc are such an integral part of my Vita usage as soon as Sony patch it out I'll be stuck with having to update or I won't be able to access any of my PS+ games or remote play will I? Maybe I need to get a cheap second Vita just for homebrew...

I'm really hoping that now there's so much more interest in the scene someone will develop a spoof or update message blocker or something to get around it. I can sacrifice most other things but I'd really like to be able to keep using remote play

Shrinefox

Persona Modder
Trophies
Website
shrinefox.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm really hoping that now there's so much more interest in the scene someone will develop a spoof or update message blocker or something to get around it. I can sacrifice most other things but I'd really like to be able to keep using remote play
It sure would be nice if firmware spoofing was as easy as changing a version number somewhere in the registry, but knowing Sony, they make everything more complicated than that.
I was so happy to play snes with my psvita at full speed. But sound are terrible.
Well for now, do what I do-- put on some music in the background with the music app! It's not perfect but better than nothing. I'm just happy I can finally do that when the feature was disabled for PSP homebrews.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk