Yifan Lu Announces HENKaku - A New Native Vita Homebrew Enabler for 3.60.

Earlier today, Yifan Lu, a well-known member of the Vita hacking scene famous for the Rejuvenate hack for the Dev Assistants, has announced that a new (native!) Vita homebrew enabler for the latest firmware version, as of writing (3.60), will be arriving tomorrow at "9:00AM UTC".

The new hack, known as "HENKaku", will require the following:
  • A Vita/PSTV running 3.60
  • A memcard with at least 10MB of free space (internal memory is currently not supported!)
  • An FTP client
  • An internet connection**
**Offline support is now available! Launch the exploit straight from the email app without the need for internet access at all! See the unofficial release thread for more details. (Internet connection still required for installation)

This is a small paragraph of Yifan Lu himself explaining what the properties of this new homebrew enabler does:

HENkaku simply lets you install homebrew as bubbles in LiveArea. It is a native hack that disables the filesystem sandbox. It installs molecularShell, a fork of VitaShell that lets you access the memory card over FTP and install homebrew packages (which we create as VPK files). With vita-toolchain, developers have access to the same system features licensed developers have access to as well as undocumented features that licensed developers cannot use (including overclocking the processors).

The hack has been released at http://henkaku.me ~ Furthermore, the hack is said to be exclusive to 3.60, and there is to be no backports for the time being.

:arrow: Source: http://yifan.lu/2016/07/28/henkaku-vita-homebrew-for-everyone/

Last edited by , , Reason: Added info about offline installation.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think thats are crypted files. As far as I know there is no way knwon to encrypt the files again after decrypt them.
One can hope can't they?
Let's be clear. We get VHBL back so easily because of the amount of access that Henkaku grants us to the file system This isn't going to work vice-versa. The VHBL bubble is using a PSP bubble method that was already publically known.
Thanks for explaining that. I didn't know.

kingsora831

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since VHBL is working, i wonder if it'll also be possible to reenable (unblock) games that were capable of running TN-V on past updates.
If that becomes possible then that would allow everyone on past updates to move on to 3.60 and just use their old exploited games for TN-V.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are these vpk files only able to write to ux0 or could the also write to ur0 and app0?
When they can is there a way to make sure they don't do?
I would prefer to be able to remove every trace by just formating the card...

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Since VHBL is working, i wonder if it'll also be possible to reenable (unblock) games that were capable of running TN-V on past updates.
If that becomes possible then that would allow everyone on past updates to move on to 3.60 and just use their old exploited games for TN-V.
The underlying exploits were patched in the firmware so the games themselves would be no good. We presumably need a new PSP kernel mode exploit, although it's possible that Henkaku's access to the file system would give us a way.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Are these vpk files only able to write to ux0 or could the also write to ur0 and app0?
When they can is there a way to make sure they don't do?
I would prefer to be able to remove every trace by just formating the card...
They can write everywhere except ro partitions.

kingsora831

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The underlying exploits were patched in the firmware so the games themselves would be no good. We presumably need a new PSP kernel mode exploit, although it's possible that Henkaku's access to the file system would give us a way.

Yea, was just about to edit my comment as i figured that was the case.
But hopefully with access to the file system something can be done to reenable the exploit entries or develop a native one.

Can't wait to see where we are in a week...or a month with this.
Let's hope the hype doesnt die down and progress continues.

Last edited by kingsora831,

Axorve

Trophies
XP
Country
France
for install a .vpk we need a eboot.pbp ?
So, we can recompile psp homebrew for ps vita no ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I just want to be able to install Unity made PS Vita games...
Yes, i need to make homebrew but i know only C# xD

Demonith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ux0: pspemu/PSP/VHBL
Edit 3: I did it! Thanks. Tutorial coming maybe soon?

TUTORIAL (thanks to everyone in the comments, basically everything here is stolen from you <3)

IM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY BRICKS, ANYTHING FROM HERE IS YOUR PROBLEM!!!

Step 1: Make sure you have henkaku booted.

Step 2: Go download a free psp demo.

Step 3: Load up molecularShell, hit select.

Step 4: Connect to your psvita with ftp. (Sorry, no tutorial for this one.)

Step 5: Download this.

Step 6: Put pboot.pbp in ux0:Pspemu/PSP/GAME/xx/ (replace xx with your game name. it will be something like NPEG00005)

Step 7: Put the folder VHBL01234 in ux0:Pspemu/PSP/SAVEDATA (So it looks like this: ux0:Pspemu/PSP/SAVEDATA/VHBL01234)

Step 8: Reboot into recovery (google it), rebuild db's, done!

Reactions: cvskid

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why is Snes9xVITA limiting the clock to 444MHz?
That dosn't allow Super Mario World to play with fullspeed (60 FPS in the menus but with lower FPS ingame) let alone Kirby's Draem Land 3.
Just curious, because its called Snes9xVITA not Snes9xPSP. (for port reasons?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Playing well some of them.... Sharp X68000 games lol Japanese is hard...