Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I see people being brain washed into using that shit OS on overpriced hardware.
Don't start that shit. Seriously, you're going to bite off more than you can chew, and your ass is going to be sore.
I once had that attitude, however after actually using a Mac, I find that it does a lot of things better than Windows (somethings not so good though). Brainwashing doesn't come into it. Also Apple hardware is a similar price to PC hardware and the OS is much cheaper.
The entry price is much higher for anything other than the Mac Mini (which starts at $600), which is one reason normal people rarely go for it. Just clearing up the misunderstanding.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's not broken, then why are Microsoft 'fixing' it?

I once had that attitude, however after actually using a Mac, I find that it does a lot of things better than Windows (somethings not so good though). Brainwashing doesn't come into it. Also Apple hardware is a similar price to PC hardware and the OS is much cheaper.

I owned a mac for about a year, hated it. Great for businesses and schools, I kind of miss it when it comes to homework iCloud seems like it could have been helpful around now, but not for personal stuff that I do day to day.

But yeah, brainwashed really wasnt the right term :P

Also, Mircosoft isnt fixing anything. Tell me, if a 7 year old kid starts screaming in your face because he thinks your too old to be playing a DS, and you put it away, are you doing it because your a bad person for playing it or because you want the kid to shut the hell up?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that analogy made no sense at all...

horrible os sales, poor adaption rate, desktop/laptop manufacturers blaming windows 8 for poor sales, and general user feedback are the reason they are fixing it

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that analogy made no sense at all...

horrible os sales, poor adaption rate, desktop/laptop manufacturers blaming windows 8 for poor sales, and general user feedback are the reason they are fixing it

PCs in general have been taking a dive lately, not suprised seeing how tablets are getting x86 processors and becoming cheaper and easier to use alternatives, the analogy made sense, Mircosoft is basically "putting away" the Metro (by allowing Desktop on boot) in order to "shut up" the user base. Im not suprised seeing how a good percentage of them dont want to attempt to use the OS properly and flat-out dismiss it as "broken".

And goddammit man, the reply button is right there in the corner >:L

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Like I and many other people have said, Metro is fine as an addition, but Microsoft made a mistake by removing the option to keep it hidden for desktop users. You keep mentioning "just drop into desktop mode" and such. But it really is a horrible inconvenience to have to click something every single time you boot up windows before doing anything else. The so called 8.1 update will fix most peoples issues simply by allowing people to set the default mode and leave it that way.

However, as I don't need a new computer just yet, no doubt Win8 will be old and gone before I next need to by an OS.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I and many other people have said, Metro is fine as an addition, but Microsoft made a mistake by removing the option to keep it hidden for desktop users. You keep mentioning "just drop into desktop mode" and such. But it really is a horrible inconvenience to have to click something every single time you boot up windows before doing anything else. The so called 8.1 update will fix most peoples issues simply by allowing people to set the default mode and leave it that way.

However, as I don't need a new computer just yet, no doubt Win8 will be old and gone before I next need to by an OS.

You litterally said Mircosoft broke the OS with the Metro :glare: but whatever, if you dont like the OS, no amount of arguement will change that. I just wish people would see that beyond the hate wagon theres an actual good OS, dare I say better then Win 7, theres no way Windows is releasing a 9 any time soon. Just try to give it another shot after Blue comes out , ok? ;)

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
They did indeed break the OS with metro, by forcing people to use it as the default interface on a desktop computer. If the option was there to ignore it, and run metro applications windowed then I would have no issues.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
They did indeed break the OS with metro, by forcing people to use it as the default interface on a desktop computer. If the option was there to ignore it, and run metro applications windowed then I would have no issues.

Having to click the desktop icon every time you boot your computer isn't such a big deal (unless you reboot 20 times a day). And sure, running metero apps in a window would be nice. Now I don't use any metro apps at all becaue I don't need any. Except Minesweeper. But if throwing windows 8 away because some app can't be run in windowed mode is a solution, why isn't "don't use that app" or "find a desktop app" one?

Reactions: The Milkman

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your a broken record buddy.
And you're not?

and windows 9 will show up in another 2 and a half years given the current 3 year release cycle
people skipped vista and went to 7 from xp, and they will do it again this time (assuming 9 isnt an unholy mess spawned from 8 with nothing but metro) unless ms fixes the problems that users have with it
the consumer is always right in the end

Reactions: Engert

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And you're not?

and windows 9 will show up in another 2 and a half years given the current 3 year release cycle
people skipped vista and went to 7 from xp, and they will do it again this time (assuming 9 isnt an unholy mess spawned from 8 with nothing but metro) unless ms fixes the problems that users have with it
the consumer is always right in the end

Ok, lets do this a different way.

Tell me, what problem is it exactly people do not like about Windows 8.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. No Start menu.
2. Not everything in the world is touch screen.

Your response?

1. Metro is the start, you can pin programs there and search up files. All it is full screen.

2. Optimized for touch screens (which us nice seeing how tablet PCs are hard as hell to use) but perfectly useful on touch pads and usable with mouses. Your not ment to spend much time navigating anyway.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
1. Metro is the start, you can pin programs there and search up files. All it is full screen.

2. Optimized for touch screens (which us nice seeing how tablet PCs are hard as hell to use) but perfectly useful on touch pads and usable with mouses. Your not ment to spend much time navigating anyway.
1. What if you don't want it to disrupt your workflow by it going fullscreen but still want to launch your applications in a convenient manner?
2. Last time I tried it myself I got incredibly annoyed by the fact that things had to be done in a touch-like manner even though I didn't have a touch-capable device. Some gestures makes sense for touch-devices whereas some others makes sense for non-touch ones.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States

What do companies gain by training people in this huge learning curve?

I don't think optimized is the right word there. Geared towards touch screens is more correct. That's why the tiles are so big in the Metro screen.
Do you know that Windows 9 will bring back the trademark Start Menu which has defined Microsoft for more then two decades?

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. What if you don't want it to disrupt your workflow by it going fullscreen but still want to launch your applications in a convenient manner?
2. Last time I tried it myself I got incredibly annoyed by the fact that things had to be done in a touch-like manner even though I didn't have a touch-capable device. Some gestures makes sense for touch-devices whereas some others makes sense for non-touch ones.

1. I personally dont find it very intursive, in fact I often tab out of games to change a song via Metro and and still manage to keep a control point from being captured. And if you do, there are little tweaks you can make in your taskbar in order to simplify it. All else fails theres always just pinning programs you would need to the taskbar.

2. Every single gesture can be executed on the keyboard. Most use the Win key and every element of metro can be navigated via buttons.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do companies gain by training people in this huge learning curve?

I don't think optimized is the right word there. Geared towards touch screens is more correct. That's why the tiles are so big in the Metro screen.
Do you know that Windows 9 will bring back the trademark Start Menu which has defined Microsoft for more then two decades?

I hope your being for sarcastic about the first one. It pretty much the same motions as with a Start menu.

See my above post for the other.

And do you mean Windows 9? You mean Blue? Thats just 8.1 service pack.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I hope your being for sarcastic about the first one. It pretty much the same motions as with a Start menu.

See my above post for the other.

Sarcastic? No not at all. I am not sure if you're studying or working but several companies will not adopt Windows 8 for the simple fact that there is "too much pain with no gain".
And when companies do not adopt Windows, there's a pretty sure bet that they will change their ways. Which is what they are doing with Windows 9.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: