Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Considering we already get perks and even a dedicated forum, I don't think it would be fair for everyone.
Current implementation shouldn't be influenced by the money we are willingly donaiting to the community.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A nice way of doing this with minimal real impact could just be a subscription streak bonus. Like first month of subscription, +1 XP, second +2, +3 etc. It's only a small bonus, but it'd also give slight incentive for people to continually contribute, as well as reward those who do.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking an xp % bonus. Like double any regular xp they would normally get while they are a patron.

Edit.. But then again, a lot of patrons are at the top of the list already. It would be all patrons eventually..
That's overkill imo. It basically makes the XP system pay to win.

Reactions: Seriel and WeedZ

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I was thinking of that too for a brief moment, but then realized that it would literally be "buying XP" aaaand, that kinda sucks. Sure it's technically helping out being a Patreon supporter, but the XP is really an incentive to make fun and helpful posts on the forum, write reviews, news, and just contribute in a positive way in that regard.

Reactions: x65943 and WeedZ

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking of that too for a brief moment, but then realized that it would literally be "buying XP" aaaand, that kinda sucks. Sure it's technically helping out being a Patreon supporter, but the XP is really an incentive to make fun and helpful posts on the forum, write reviews, news, and just contribute in a positive way in that regard.
That's a good point. It does kind of take away from the purpose if you can just buy it.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah I feel the fact your a patreon kinda lends its hand to being very active on the forum anyway, it will just end up making a huge gap between the obsessive members :ph34r: who are patrons and those who aren't

that said, maybe it would be good if likes given by patrons give more XP to the receiver

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: x65943 and WeedZ

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
yeah I feel the fact your a patreon kinda lends its hand to being very active on the forum anyway, it will just end up making a huge gap between the obsessive members :ph34r: who are patrons and those who aren't

that said, maybe it would be good if likes given by patrons give more XP to the receiver
Holy shit. I like that.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
patreon circle jerk
well I generally like helpful posts, informative posts or releases for the most part, so even if some patrons did circle jerk a bit non patrons would also feel the benefits of it assuming all patrons aren't elitists who only like other patreon backers posts.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I assumed the double like wouldn't affect other patrons.
I guess that might solve peoples concerns of patron circle jerking......although I doubt anyone cares that much about the level stuff to sit there farming shit....I guess people who do could just be banned for spamming or get the margen treatment and be banned from liking :rofl2:

Reactions: WeedZ

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Patrons should gain 2x the last amount of Exp they got for each month they stay a patron and they have to raise their patron level by $1 every 3 months to keep the streak going.

+1 for one month, +2 for two, +4 for three, +8 for four, +16 for five, +32 for six, +64 for seven, +128 for eight, +256 for nine, +512 for ten, +1024 for eleven, +2048 for a year.
By the end of the first year of being a patron, you get 4095 exp and patron'd $30. And just think, another $10 and 2 months later, you could rival the current 2nd place from zero.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So your plan is to not only turn GBAtemp into a video game, but a shitty mobile game with microtransaction$

At that point xp is meaningless and does not represent the same thing for everyone.

Seeing the top xp guy would then feel like when you see that guy with all the top tier armor - who paid to win. It won't be impressive or interesting. But just sad that someone bought an essentially meaningless number.

Right now it represents hard work. In your future it represents living in the first world and having disposable income.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
So your plan is to not only turn GBAtemp into a video game, but a shitty mobile game with microtransaction$

At that point xp is meaningless and does not represent the same thing for everyone.

Seeing the top xp guy would then feel like when you see that guy with all the top tier armor - who paid to win. It won't be impressive or interesting. But just sad that someone bought an essentially meaningless number.

Right now it represents hard work. In your future it represents living in the first world and having disposable income.

You're going at it a little hard, but basically I agree with you here... it's my belief that buying XP would ruin the game. Regular members would feel cheated.

Remember that the reason why we opened a Patreon is because over the years a lot of people have said they want to support the site in some way, so we're taking donations because this allows us to have fun raffles every now and then, and we use the leftover money to improve the site. We realize that there aren't a lot of perks to being a patreon backer for now, but remember that your support does help make the site better. We can purchase forum addons, we can rent better servers, we can reward staff for content they create (news, reviews, etc.) and we can make plans for the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6aie4t8lZ7k&pp=ygUuaSBhbSBub3QgZ2F5IGJ1dCAyMCBkb2xsYXJzIGlzIDIwIGRv... +1