[xkey] network ISO loading command

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by TreyTrent, Nov 23, 2015.

1. TreyTrent
    OP

TreyTrent Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2015
    Canada
    I followed the guide about 2 years ago on a official forum to setup 'unofficials' network ISO loading with a wii USB network adapter. It work terrible- but install game to HD first it work mint when xbox check disc and android app select I just plug network adapter into USB and select game from couch.

Since then I crashed then revamped my server and the login credentials are changed. I don't have a copy of my xkey.cfg file to remember how I set up the network part so I need redo it. I even dismantled it console to get out microSD on hope its there, but it only got firmware file on it.

Does anyone have the share command structure to refresh my memory, to get the console to mount from a share? also its just put file on USB and unplug, then plug in and power up for cfg updates right? If not does anyone know what the old forum link is so I maybe can wayback it? Thanks for help

Last edited by TreyTrent, Nov 23, 2015
  2. TreyTrent
    OP

TreyTrent Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2015
    Canada
    I found my answer:

An overview of mounting a SMB/CIFS / Windows Network share with your xk3y.

I appreciate all the work that has gone in to this behind the scenes, it's worth making clear that this is not an officially supported feature, the options are there though and it works. Performance is now completely acceptable in my set up and has replaced USB storage [​IMG] so anything that helps others, or at least makes them aware.. I think it's easy to miss this and the fact it works so well, if just looking over existing threads.

I'll try to provide a round-up of what you need to do, my experience with this, and tips for anyone trying to achieve the same.

To reiterate UglyClicker and inquam's input the required / new values you need to put in xkey.cfg are

xkey.cfg settings
    CODE:
    SHARE=//ip_here/share/path
    USER=smb_user
    PASSWD=smb_pass

A password is required, if you are sharing from Windows and your account doesn't have one I suggest adding one, it's the cleanest option. You can set up auto-login for a passworded account. You could instead create another account specifically for this purpose.

NetBIOS names don't work (thanks echoztrip). You can use either an IP or a name that will be resolved by DNS (you could add a record to a real domain, or a local DNS server).

Inside the share folder you need to have a folder called games, the same as with regular USB storage.

In xkey.cfg I've found I have to comment out SSID and ensure KEY=YOUR_DONGLES_UNIQUE_KEY is uncommented. Not doing the former results in the IP field being empty, the latter and it isn't returned at all (don't think a connection was initialised at all if memory serves). The share wasn't mounted in either case. I'm using Ethernet, obviously if you're *attempting* this over WiFi then configure accordingly.

I found that the share would only be picked up when I was using DHCP, setting a Static IP prevented the share from being loaded - my IP didn't show in About / data.xml either, the field was empty. I could still access the web interface at the assigned IP, however. Workaround for this was to set up IP-MAC binding / DHCP reservation (there is a page for this on most routers).

• How to set up DHCP reservation on a QNAP NAS

Hardware setup and performance
    I have
    CODE: SELECT ALL
    xk3y -> Win7x64 bridge -> gigabit to router -> gigabit to NAS

I'm using a standard USB to Ethernet for Wii Adapter (ASIX AX88772, but could only find this out once it had arrived) from eBay. You can plug your Ethernet adapter straight into the xk3y USB dongle for a very neat solution. I wouldn't have thought there's any significant benefit to running gigabit here, beyond network capacity, especially as the adapter is 100Mb. Aside from the xk3y, server latency could be a bottleneck - if doing this from Windows and not getting performance you'd like I'd suggest making sure minimal software/services are running, the same as if you were burning XGD3. In use I'm very pleased with the speed, playing straight from the ISO (though I always install to hard drive, which I find much faster than loading from Share/USB/disc). On boot the Network OK message is followed immediately by the HDD Connected message and all 89 games on my share are instantly accessible. Actual throughput figures are the same as those recently reported by UglyClicker. I'm getting avg. 2.095 MB/sec to the xk3y (total throughput of 2.16 MB/sec). Some games play fine, others have noticeably extended loading times - though once loaded are fine (this may not be the case for GTA V for example); I suggest installing games to your Xbox.

Adapters that work
    • (0B95:7720) ASIX AX88772
    • ASIX AX88772A

Adapters that do NOT work
    • ASIX AX88178
    • ASIX AX88179
    • ASIX AX88722B (AX88772B?)
    • (0FE6:9700) USB 2.0 10/100M Ethernet Adaptor

TheArtificer wrote:You can use any supported Ethernet adapter, there's no lock down, you get access to Mr W's web interface as a bonus [..]

Supported chipsets:
    Pegasus/Pegasus II (adapters compatible with Mac laptops are mostly these)
    ASIX AX88xx (Wii USB Ethernet adapters)
    Davicom DM9601 (USB1.1)
    Davicom DM9620 (USB2.0)

Known issues
    • Covers are not mounted from a share. Workaround for this. Fix for this, and share mounted www folder, expected in a future firmware release.

3. Stan1208

Stan1208 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2017
    United States
    Was hoping someone could help me. I'm looking to do this but I having problems. I would like to do this by WIFI where do you insert these lines of code at? Thanks for any help.

4. Stan1208

Stan1208 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2017
    United States
    OK I finally got it working sort of. It sees my games but when I try to load them it says invalid ISO. but I know the ISO is good because when I plug in my hard drive direct into the Xkey the ISO will boot up fine. Does anybody have an idea why its displaying invalid ISO. Thanks for any help

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Xkey probably doesn't want to load it properly, or the dongle parses the wrong info.

I've never even seen one of those before so I wouldn't know ;p

6. Jaguar0

Jaguar0 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 22, 2017
    United States
    I'm trying to setup a network share on my xkey but I'm running into issues, hopefully someone here can help me out.

I followed the directions in TreyTrent's original post, I'm using a standard USB to Ethernet Adapter (AX88772-A). As far as I can tell they xkey isn't connecting to the network at all and is not getting an IP assigned through DHCP.

I tried commenting and uncommenting both the SSID value as well as KEY, but I'm always seeing the error "NETWORK FAIL", and no IP gets assigned.

When I define a static IP, I get the message "NETWORK OK", but I'm unable to see any shared folders and the web interface does not work either. I'm assuming the "NETWORK OK" message is only coming up because the IP has been defined as static. Also, I've been looking at my router's DHCP client page, I have not seen the xkey show up there even once. I'm unsure how I can get the MAC address of this device either.

Any ideas?

7. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Have you shared the folder on your PC?

8. Jaguar0

Jaguar0 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 22, 2017
    United States
    yup, definitely shared the folder on my PC, tested that successfully by trying to access it from another PC on the network using the username/password.

I think the actual issue is that the xkey isn't connecting to the network, even though the message "Network OK" comes up

9. cybrian

cybrian Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Wait, it's possible to network the Xk3y without the official (discontinued and impossible to find) wifi dongle?

10. Jaguar0

Jaguar0 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 22, 2017
    United States
    apparently yes, that's what I'm trying to setup. take a look at the initial post -