Hacking [xkey] network ISO loading command

TreyTrent

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I followed the guide about 2 years ago on a official forum to setup 'unofficials' network ISO loading with a wii USB network adapter. It work terrible- but install game to HD first it work mint when xbox check disc and android app select I just plug network adapter into USB and select game from couch.

Since then I crashed then revamped my server and the login credentials are changed. I don't have a copy of my xkey.cfg file to remember how I set up the network part so I need redo it. I even dismantled it console to get out microSD on hope its there, but it only got firmware file on it.

Does anyone have the share command structure to refresh my memory, to get the console to mount from a share? also its just put file on USB and unplug, then plug in and power up for cfg updates right? If not does anyone know what the old forum link is so I maybe can wayback it? Thanks for help

Last edited by TreyTrent,

TreyTrent

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found my answer:

An overview of mounting a SMB/CIFS / Windows Network share with your xk3y.

I appreciate all the work that has gone in to this behind the scenes, it's worth making clear that this is not an officially supported feature, the options are there though and it works. Performance is now completely acceptable in my set up and has replaced USB storage
biggrin.gif
so anything that helps others, or at least makes them aware.. I think it's easy to miss this and the fact it works so well, if just looking over existing threads.

I'll try to provide a round-up of what you need to do, my experience with this, and tips for anyone trying to achieve the same.

To reiterate UglyClicker and inquam's input the required / new values you need to put in xkey.cfg are

xkey.cfg settings
CODE:
SHARE=//ip_here/share/path
USER=smb_user
PASSWD=smb_pass

A password is required, if you are sharing from Windows and your account doesn't have one I suggest adding one, it's the cleanest option. You can set up auto-login for a passworded account. You could instead create another account specifically for this purpose.

NetBIOS names don't work (thanks echoztrip). You can use either an IP or a name that will be resolved by DNS (you could add a record to a real domain, or a local DNS server).

Inside the share folder you need to have a folder called games, the same as with regular USB storage.

In xkey.cfg I've found I have to comment out SSID and ensure KEY=YOUR_DONGLES_UNIQUE_KEY is uncommented. Not doing the former results in the IP field being empty, the latter and it isn't returned at all (don't think a connection was initialised at all if memory serves). The share wasn't mounted in either case. I'm using Ethernet, obviously if you're *attempting* this over WiFi then configure accordingly.

I found that the share would only be picked up when I was using DHCP, setting a Static IP prevented the share from being loaded - my IP didn't show in About / data.xml either, the field was empty. I could still access the web interface at the assigned IP, however. Workaround for this was to set up IP-MAC binding / DHCP reservation (there is a page for this on most routers).

• How to set up DHCP reservation on a QNAP NAS

Hardware setup and performance
I have
CODE: SELECT ALL
xk3y -> Win7x64 bridge -> gigabit to router -> gigabit to NAS

I'm using a standard USB to Ethernet for Wii Adapter (ASIX AX88772, but could only find this out once it had arrived) from eBay. You can plug your Ethernet adapter straight into the xk3y USB dongle for a very neat solution. I wouldn't have thought there's any significant benefit to running gigabit here, beyond network capacity, especially as the adapter is 100Mb. Aside from the xk3y, server latency could be a bottleneck - if doing this from Windows and not getting performance you'd like I'd suggest making sure minimal software/services are running, the same as if you were burning XGD3. In use I'm very pleased with the speed, playing straight from the ISO (though I always install to hard drive, which I find much faster than loading from Share/USB/disc). On boot the Network OK message is followed immediately by the HDD Connected message and all 89 games on my share are instantly accessible. Actual throughput figures are the same as those recently reported by UglyClicker. I'm getting avg. 2.095 MB/sec to the xk3y (total throughput of 2.16 MB/sec). Some games play fine, others have noticeably extended loading times - though once loaded are fine (this may not be the case for GTA V for example); I suggest installing games to your Xbox.

Adapters that work
• (0B95:7720) ASIX AX88772
• ASIX AX88772A

Adapters that do NOT work
• ASIX AX88178
• ASIX AX88179
• ASIX AX88722B (AX88772B?)
• (0FE6:9700) USB 2.0 10/100M Ethernet Adaptor

TheArtificer wrote:You can use any supported Ethernet adapter, there's no lock down, you get access to Mr W's web interface as a bonus [..]

Supported chipsets:
Pegasus/Pegasus II (adapters compatible with Mac laptops are mostly these)
ASIX AX88xx (Wii USB Ethernet adapters)
Davicom DM9601 (USB1.1)
Davicom DM9620 (USB2.0)

Known issues
• Covers are not mounted from a share. Workaround for this. Fix for this, and share mounted www folder, expected in a future firmware release.

Reactions: lordelan

Stan1208

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was hoping someone could help me. I'm looking to do this but I having problems. I would like to do this by WIFI where do you insert these lines of code at? Thanks for any help.

Stan1208

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK I finally got it working sort of. It sees my games but when I try to load them it says invalid ISO. but I know the ISO is good because when I plug in my hard drive direct into the Xkey the ISO will boot up fine. Does anybody have an idea why its displaying invalid ISO. Thanks for any help

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Xkey probably doesn't want to load it properly, or the dongle parses the wrong info.

I've never even seen one of those before so I wouldn't know ;p

Jaguar0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to setup a network share on my xkey but I'm running into issues, hopefully someone here can help me out.

I followed the directions in TreyTrent's original post, I'm using a standard USB to Ethernet Adapter (AX88772-A). As far as I can tell they xkey isn't connecting to the network at all and is not getting an IP assigned through DHCP.

I tried commenting and uncommenting both the SSID value as well as KEY, but I'm always seeing the error "NETWORK FAIL", and no IP gets assigned.

When I define a static IP, I get the message "NETWORK OK", but I'm unable to see any shared folders and the web interface does not work either. I'm assuming the "NETWORK OK" message is only coming up because the IP has been defined as static. Also, I've been looking at my router's DHCP client page, I have not seen the xkey show up there even once. I'm unsure how I can get the MAC address of this device either.

Any ideas?

Jaguar0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yup, definitely shared the folder on my PC, tested that successfully by trying to access it from another PC on the network using the username/password.

I think the actual issue is that the xkey isn't connecting to the network, even though the message "Network OK" comes up

cybrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, it's possible to network the Xk3y without the official (discontinued and impossible to find) wifi dongle?

Jaguar0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, it's possible to network the Xk3y without the official (discontinued and impossible to find) wifi dongle?

apparently yes, that's what I'm trying to setup. take a look at the initial post -

I'm using a standard USB to Ethernet for Wii Adapter (ASIX AX88772, but could only find this out once it had arrived) from eBay. You can plug your Ethernet adapter straight into the xk3y USB dongle for a very neat solution. I wouldn't have thought there's any significant benefit to running gigabit here, beyond network capacity, especially as the adapter is 100Mb. Aside from the xk3y, server latency could be a bottleneck - if doing this from Windows and not getting performance you'd like I'd suggest making sure minimal software/services are running, the same as if you were burning XGD3. In use I'm very pleased with the speed, playing straight from the ISO (though I always install to hard drive, which I find much faster than loading from Share/USB/disc). On boot the Network OK message is followed immediately by the HDD Connected message and all 89 games on my share are instantly accessible. Actual throughput figures are the same as those recently reported by UglyClicker. I'm getting avg. 2.095 MB/sec to the xk3y (total throughput of 2.16 MB/sec). Some games play fine, others have noticeably extended loading times - though once loaded are fine (this may not be the case for GTA V for example); I suggest installing games to your Xbox.

Adapters that work
• (0B95:7720) ASIX AX88772
• ASIX AX88772A

Adapters that do NOT work
• ASIX AX88178
• ASIX AX88179
• ASIX AX88722B (AX88772B?)
• (0FE6:9700) USB 2.0 10/100M Ethernet Adaptor

TheArtificer wrote:You can use any supported Ethernet adapter, there's no lock down, you get access to Mr W's web interface as a bonus [..]

Supported chipsets:
Pegasus/Pegasus II (adapters compatible with Mac laptops are mostly these)
ASIX AX88xx (Wii USB Ethernet adapters)
Davicom DM9601 (USB1.1)
Davicom DM9620 (USB2.0)

Known issues
• Covers are not mounted from a share. Workaround for this. Fix for this, and share mounted www folder, expected in a future firmware release.

juanmemo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi there! I've been trying following this tutorial with no success. I have a xkey with v2.01-4 firmware, a Raspberry Pi with Openmediavault and the SMB "share" folder in my network, and my xkey gets its IP address correctly, both DHCP and static.

The problem is that everything seems to be okay, but my Xbox 360 never shows the "mixed content disk" to select the games.
Can anyone who achieved this help me on this? Maybe @TreyTrent ommited any step?

Thanks in advance!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mixed media disc is what it says in xkey? I've never owned one, but that's usually what it says if you try to play a burned disc in an unflashed drive.

juanmemo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
mixed media disc is what it says in xkey? I've never owned one, but that's usually what it says if you try to play a burned disc in an unflashed drive.
Yeah. The xkey simulates a Mixed media disc, that's when you can go to music player o picture viewer to "select" the ISO.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an idea, which may or may not work. the 360 and ps3 both use smb 1.0, so if you're on windows 10, it may not work unless you enable it. it's disabled by default in windows features within control panel/add or remove apps.

Reactions: BigOnYa

juanmemo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I have an idea, which may or may not work. the 360 and ps3 both use smb 1.0, so if you're on windows 10, it may not work unless you enable it. it's disabled by default in windows features within control panel/add or remove apps.
That's a good point to start with! I'm going to try and will tell you later. Thank you very much!

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
be careful with it. the reason it's disabled and smb 2.0 is the standard for windows 10 is due to security flaws. can't do things like map network drives without 1.0 with a jtag, but you can map folders.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

smb 1.0 is also the reason micro sd card management with the 3ds doesn't work with windows 10.

juanmemo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Still no results. This is my config:
xkey <-> 10/100/1000 non managed switch <-> Raspberry Pi with Openmediavault 5, SMB1 enabled and xbox/xbox (user/password) created.

I have my games at this directory: \\192.168.1.5\share\games\*.iso

And these are my values in xkey.cfg file:

SHARE=//192.168.1.5/share/
USER=xbox
PASSWD=xbox

I don't know what else to try... :(

Last edited by juanmemo,

juanmemo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
YEAH! I FINALLY FOUND THE SOLUTION! :toot:
As I thought, the @TreyTrent tutorial has some unclear steps that have been leading me to the wrong way. This is my contribution:

- My config:
xkey <--> 10/100/1000 non managed switch <--> Raspberry Pi 4 with Openmediavault 5 / shared folder called "share" (the name doesn't matter. Just write it properly on the next step), another folder inside the previous one called "games" (compulsory) with your ISOs inside / SMB1 enabled and xbox/xbox (user/password) created.

- My xkey.cfg file values:
SHARE=//192.168.1.5/share <-------JUST LIKE THIS
USER=xbox
PASSWD=xbox

- And the quid of the matter: If you load your games by an USB drive, the xkey simulates a Mixed media disc, then you can go to music player o picture viewer to "select" the ISO, BUT if you share your games by SMB/CIFS, you must go to a web browser, type your xkey IP to get to its web interface, and load your games from there (I didn't know that until today).

@godreborn thank you very much again for your guidance :yayone:

Last edited by juanmemo,
Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/K-Gqyv0gkHc?si=nGlIcg7Lr7OPfc4a