Gaming Xenoblade 2 is not that good...

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still don't get the battle system. I can not block? I can run around and hide behind something but monsters still attack and hit me?! But when I run I do not attack?
My strategic planning now: lets face that monster! Oh I probably gonna win... Yes I won. I really don't need to move my controllers? And those arts... do they really make a difference?
Arts makes ton of difference tho it sounds like you just started the game. Early game the battle system is pretty plain but as you progress through the chapters atleast up to Ch3 then you'll be doing more with your arts and switching your blades for basic combos.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I still don't get the battle system. I can not block? I can run around and hide behind something but monsters still attack and hit me?! But when I run I do not attack?
My strategic planning now: lets face that monster! Oh I probably gonna win... Yes I won. I really don't need to move my controllers? And those arts... do they really make a difference?
You see? that's what will happen when you skip tutorials.
and since when you block in any JRPG games? aside from the latest Tales of games, i don't remember other games with block system.

You start the battle with auto attack, but that's only for few second to charge your Arts, every Art have different effect and positioning for higher effect.
later on you will learn Driver combo, which you or your party will execute Art in specific order for max damage, and those Arts have effects like: Break > Topple > Launch > Smash.
there is also Blade Combos with elements effects using Specials also by following some orders, you will have to use it to stack some orbs on the enemy, and once you learn Chain Attack you will aim to break those orbs for maximum Burst damage, and later on you will be able to do Full Burst.

it's really hard to explain those things to you right now as i think you have just started the game.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
While I liked both XC 1 & 2, I can say that Xenoblade Chronicles X was an unique experience that was more serious and more realistic than both. Really worth the time and money!

P.S. : Liked the character Elma so much. It's a real example how woman should be in reality: kind, caring, intelligent, strong and not sexualized. Unlike what we've got in this world :(

Last edited by depaul,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
While I liked both XC 1 & 2, I can say that Xenoblade Chronicles X was an unique experience that was more serious and more realistic than both. Really worth the time and money!
I never finished XCX when it released, but I was playing it again before getting XC2, and it was looking good.
Anyway I really dislike turning on my Wii U and my gamepad is always out of battery... and I like to complain /s

I hope they rerelease it on Switch, and I hope it comes with one addition...
An "MP3 Player" FFXV style, that you can use whenever you want to play some "classic" tunes from XC1, XC2, Soma Bringer (why not?) or some other shit from Monolith and Mitsuda. I really hate the "yeah yeah yeah, uh, yeah yeah yeah" (damn NLA).

PS: Yep, playing "Dancing Mad" on the car sound system might have been one of the few things I really enjoyed from FFXV.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: depaul

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
i think the issue is people expect some form of dark souls/action RPG style combat from xenoblade but its actually a moreso JRPG focussed combat system with some real time elements for selection of attacks and positioning.

If you want tight combat mechanics which make a difference, you need to venture into Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You see? that's what will happen when you skip tutorials.
and since when you block in any JRPG games? aside from the latest Tales of games, i don't remember other games with block system.

You start the battle with auto attack, but that's only for few second to charge your Arts, every Art have different effect and positioning for higher effect.
later on you will learn Driver combo, which you or your party will execute Art in specific order for max damage, and those Arts have effects like: Break > Topple > Launch > Smash.
there is also Blade Combos with elements effects using Specials also by following some orders, you will have to use it to stack some orbs on the enemy, and once you learn Chain Attack you will aim to break those orbs for maximum Burst damage, and later on you will be able to do Full Burst.

it's really hard to explain those things to you right now as i think you have just started the game.
I have spent 10 hours in the game So far... I am amazed with the beauty of it!!

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So many left to collect!
No, about 5 I think, but i need the legendary core crystals, the DLC pack that comes with the update should help. I think i didn't play enough or find right sidequest to get a lot more of them. (some I haven't completed cause of stuff like not having right blade field skill requirements) Building affinity points takes too long. :blink:

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Finished the game and I LOVED Xenoblade 2.

The story was phenomenal although I didn't like the premise of how the architect designed the world... thought that was a bit out of character... the rest of it was downright excellent. Every villain had an emotional backstory, the main characters were all explored with dedicated story arcs which weaved into the main story, there was a balance of humour and seriousness. The english VA is good in anything not involving screaming. The japanese VA is really good.

The OSTs is one of the best I've ever heard for a video game.

The battle system is addictive and by the end of the game very complex. Just watching a lets play, lets you fully appreciate just how MANIC and crazy this battle system is. The animations for specials even puts games like Bayonetta and Persona to shame.

The blade system is amazing. When you factor in that most individual blades have INDIVIDUAL quests/storylines/heart to hearts, its really phenomenal in regards to detail.

The pacing was excellent. They could have easily added a lot of filler for the last few chapters but didn't. On the flip side, I feel the game could have been longer. I felt given the complexity of the affinity system, the fact we only get a few blades very late in the game, I would have liked to have some mandatory story-based time to level these guys up.

Improvements I'd suggest for Xenoblade 3:
-> Less is more, I'd actually make some cities smaller but have more detailed content and interactions within them. When simple directions from an NPC forces you to use the quest marking system, its usually a sign your world is way too big
-> Less is more; side quests wise I would ditch 75% of simple fetch quests and replace them with more complicated or emotional storylines
-> Options for paths; I think its time we see some choice in JRPGs, even simple ones for how to deal with quests given how complex the field arts system is
-> Battle system: I feel a bit more flexibility in being able to physically evade attacks or set up barriers would be excellent.
-> Common blade system: I think they should have gone pokemon style and still given common blades a proper unique appearance, personality and individual attack types. Maybe its a budget constraint.

Anyway, in conclusion... Xenoblade 2 combines a philosophical story with a great cast of characters which will make you laugh and cry, a phenomenal ever evolving battle system in a beautiful world which is perhaps a little too big and difficult to navigate at times. Add in a fantastic OST, an addictive blade system, tonnes of options for customisation, 100 hours worth of side quest content, lots of spontaneous events and heart to hearts within your party... and you have a really really good JRPG.. if not for me the best JRPG of 2017 when you factor in that this can also be played in portable mode [something Persona et al fails to cover yet still wants you to grind].

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The story can be great, the characters and the visual style can be great but oh my god this game is slow. The combat is slow, moving around is slow, falling and swimming in that sea of clouds is slow... Everyting is slow! Of course I don't mind slow games, but oh my god I feel like this is not even a finished game sometimes. Maybe I'm too used to BOTW, but man this is so bugged too...
What do you think? I honestly think that I just lost 60 bucks, might aswell re-sell it...
Seeing you saying that you're maybe used to botw wich was kids play to play through means this game is not for you since most hardcore Rpg's are slow and so is this. Complaining about that and comparing it 2 the pace of botw doesn't make sense at all. I totally recommend you not playing through any JRPG anymore

Last edited by kumikochan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1