OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey all,

I've finished my review of the XCM 1080p VGA box, a product for all of us who do not own a HDTV but do have a PC
smile.gif
. In case you haven't heard about it yet:
scorpei.com said:
The XCM 1080p allows you to hook up your PS3/Wii/Xbox360 to your VGA monitor (i.e. computer screen). Due to the high-definition capabilities of the new consoles many people (especially here in Europe; HD TV's are not widespread here quite yet) are longing for higher resolution screens. But, don't we already have a high-def screen? Yes we do, our VGA monitors!
Read my review to find out if it truly is worth buying
wink.gif
! It's located:

Here

A small sneak-a-peak:
scorpei.comFor the PS3 this product is a must if you do not own a HDTV and want higher resolutions. Although with games you might not really need the higher resolution (I have to say it does look much better though) when running Linux however the higher resolutions are really great. The best part is that the PS3 upscales (if the feature is enabled/needed) all content including PS2/PSX games which means that regardless of what content you want to play the XCM box supports it (way to go Sony!).

Cheers,
Scorpei

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Excellent review. This might be something I'll consider in the future when I get a 360 as I do not have an HDTV and I certainly don't plan on upgrading to one for a good long while.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Been considering getting one of these for myself since I won't have the space for an LCD TV at uni. So a few questions...

Regarding aspect ratios - I presume the monitor displays a full screen image but how does it work in regards displaying the correct ratio i.e. say displaying a 16x9 image on a 16x10 display? I know you don't have a 16x10 monitor but any idea whether it would stretch the picture to fill the display? Put borders on the top and bottom (to keep the 16x9 ratio)? Or full screen but keeping the correct ratio by cutting the left and right hand side of the image off?

Any lag or anything using the Wii remote?

How's it compare to the V-Box for Wii usage?

I'm slightly confused by the following:
QUOTE said:
This means that games not supporting EHDTV (meaning everything from the virtual console, nearly all if not all GameCube games and some Wii games such as Mario Party 8) will not work with the VGA box (or at least not with a PAL Wii system which outputs 576p). Aside from that EHDT works perfectly fine with nearly all games and it does look quite nice.
So are you saying that VC/NGC games/MP8 will not work on an NTSC console, or that they just won't work on PAL machines? (despite PAL support being a feature of the device?)

No pics of the device in action?!
ohmy.gif
frown.gif

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Been considering getting one of these for myself since I won't have the space for an LCD TV at uni. So a few questions...

Regarding aspect ratios - I presume the monitor displays a full screen image but any idea if it displays the correct ratio i.e. displays a 16x9 image in the correct aspect ratio on a 16x10 display? Or does it stretch the picture, put borders on the top and bottom or keep the correct aspect but cut the left and right hand side of the image off?
As I state in my review, the XCM does not change ANYTHING to the video resolution outputted. If your console changes it's resolution then that resolution will be output to the screen. Your VGA monitor is there to interpret the signals so depending on your screen it will look different (meaning in my case that my screen starts stretching the signal to fit the screen).
Any lag or anything using the Wii remote?
No lag other then that which I already had with some games with my normal TV.
How's it compare to the V-Box for Wii usage?
Well, though the resolution is better (naturally as the V-box only supports normal screens and not EHDTV) however see below
I'm slightly confused by the following:
This means that games not supporting EHDTV (meaning everything from the virtual console, nearly all if not all GameCube games and some Wii games such as Mario Party 8) will not work with the VGA box (or at least not with a PAL Wii system which outputs 576p). Aside from that EHDT works perfectly fine with nearly all games and it does look quite nice.
So are you saying that VC/NGC games/MP8 will not work on an NTSC console, or that they just won't work on PAL machines? (despite PAL support being a feature of the device?)
I am saying that the Wii does not upscale VC or NGC titles. That means that they are sent out in a resolution that the VGA box does not understand --> does not send over to your VGA monitor. Thus they work on your machine (and they might work with a USA Wii system but I don't know what kind of signal it outputs normally, if that is 480p then no problem) however not with the VGA box itself.
No pics of the device in action?!Â
ohmy.gif
Â
frown.gif
Well, if you want some I can take a few. But be warned, my screen stretches anything that is 720p so it looks aweful (it is stretched only in the vertical direction), 480p looks perfect though.

(here are some good ones though, from the XCM team themselves;
http://www.xcmlive.com/cgi-bin/xcmlive/eng...OXES%20&view=2)

[EDIT] Taking some pictures now, from my PS3 and Wii connected (PS3 only up to 720p badly stretched due to my crappy screen, Wii EHDTV only)

HipN

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How much did it cos you and where did you get it?

Also, how do you get sound? I mean, my monitor does not have speakers.

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Added the pictures you wanted
wink.gif
. PS3 is 720p (stretched vertically sadly) Wii is set to EHDTV.

Pictures of 1080i/p can be added on request.

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am saying that the Wii does not upscale VC or NGC titles. That means that they are sent out in a resolution that the VGA box does not understand --> does not send over to your VGA monitor. Thus they work on your machine (and they might work with a USA Wii system but I don't know what kind of signal it outputs normally, if that is 480p then no problem) however not with the VGA box itself.

Pal Wii's only output in either 576i, 480i or 480p. They don't run in 576p at all (unless there is some option I'm unable to find). That said, when running a non-progressive title, they will drop back to 576i by default.

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
Pal Wii's only output in either 576i, 480i or 480p. They don't run in 576p at all (unless there is some option I'm unable to find). That said, when running a non-progressive title, they will drop back to 576i by default.
Yes my bad, didn't mean p (thanks for pointing that one out to me)
smile.gif
. Regardless, 576i is a video mode the VGA box DOES NOT work with (as it only supports 480p and up).

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Excellent review. This might be something I'll consider in the future when I get a 360 as I do not have an HDTV and I certainly don't plan on upgrading to one for a good long while.
I would just get a VGA cable for Xbox 360. If your monitor's native resolution is supported, the aspect ratio will be maintained.

I play my 360 on my 17" 1280*1024 monitor and the output just adds black bar on top and bottom to make it 1280*720. I also use a KVM switch (with audio) so I can switch between 360 and the PC with keyboard shortcut. The keyboard even works for the 360 when I switched to it!

No stretching, and the picture is super clear. Oh, and it's cheaper too.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I would just get a VGA cable for Xbox 360. If your monitor's native resolution is supported, the aspect ratio will be maintained. I play my 360 on my 17" 1280*1024 monitor and the output just adds black bar on top and bottom to make it 1280*720.
Heh, that's just it. Why stop with a VGA cable? I read things right, this should technically accept any component cable hookup. This box technically could be handy for other devices in the future.

Also, I like thingamabobs and doohickeys!

bluebright

Trophies
Website
www.portablespacemuseum.com
XP
Country
I bought one a few days before i saw this review. I'll be using it for my wii, so I'll tell you how it works out...

Also, I'm still confused about the EHDTV thing. I've read the article, and this thread, but I don't understand. When it upscales, does the picture just look ultra dodgy, or it just doesn't appear at all?

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I bought one a few days before i saw this review. I'll be using it for my wii, so I'll tell you how it works out...

Also, I'm still confused about the EHDTV thing. I've read the article, and this thread, but I don't understand. When it upscales, does the picture just look ultra dodgy, or it just doesn't appear at all?
The Wii does not upscale. Most Wii games support the EHDTV resolution (480p) however some do not. Neither do the VC titles and NGC games. This means that the Wii changes back to it's original (most basic) output resolution (which in the case of the PAL system is 576i (and not p
wink.gif
). In the case of the PAL system this means that you'll see no picture on your VGA monitor as 576i is not supported by the VGA box.

Is this better to follow?

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands

I play my 360 on my 17" 1280*1024 monitor and the output just adds black bar on top and bottom to make it 1280*720.

No stretching, and the picture is super clear. Oh, and it's cheaper too.
The stretching problem is purely because my screen does not support 1280x720 properly. If I use that resolution in Windows I get the same stretching. On another screen I have however it works perfectly even 1080p/i mode (trust me, crystal clear and really great pictures
tongue.gif
).

When you are using your VGA cable (I think) the xbox360 also outputs 1280x720 your screen just supports that resolution (hence the black bars). However I do not own a 360 so I can't test this to make sure.

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I already connect my 360 to a monitor with a vga cable. What's the difference between this and a HDMI to DVI cable for PS3?
HDMI requires a HDCP compatible monitor (including after the DVI switch). Component does not require this.

[EDIT] And this let's you switch (else you would also have to buy a switch for the video signals with only a HDMI --> DVI cable)

bluebright

Trophies
Website
www.portablespacemuseum.com
XP
Country

The Wii does not upscale. Most Wii games support the EHDTV resolution (480p) however some do not. Neither do the VC titles and NGC games. This means that the Wii changes back to it's original (most basic) output resolution (which in the case of the PAL system is 576i (and not p
wink.gif
). In the case of the PAL system this means that you'll see no picture on your VGA monitor as 576i is not supported by the VGA box.

Is this better to follow?

So, let me get this straight.
The Wii's all like "Yo dude, I can upscale, dawg, lemme show you jerk"

and the VGA box is all like "Nah ah, I don't think so you skinny white boy. Mai pimps over here can't see you when yo upscale because...um...mai insides are reject'en yo output because...er...you momma is some 576i stupid cube. Peace out".

and the Wii like "I can dig it".

RIGHT, so, no upscale = no picture. Got it.

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, let me get this straight.
The Wii's all like "Yo dude, I can upscale, dawg, lemme show you jerk"

and the VGA box is all like "Nah ah, I don't think so you skinny white boy. Mai pimps over here can't see you when yo upscale because...um...mai insides are reject'en yo output because...er...you momma is some 576i stupid cube. Peace out".

and the Wii like "I can dig it".

RIGHT, so, no upscale = no picture. Got it.
Eum, well..... I guess you at least partially got the point
tongue.gif
. Some games are indeed put out on higher resolutions (EHDTV) and are thus understandable to the VGA box, however some (which are mainly VC titles and NGC games) are not upscaled (are not stretched to fit the bigger resolution) but are simply output in the lower res. 576i (at least that is the case with PAL systems) version which the box does not understand.

Lol, to put it in your words (thank you gizoogle);
Some (-M-to-tha-izzost Wii games) games is indeed put out on higha resolizzles (EHDTV) n is thus understandable ta tha VGA bizzle gangsta. Some (which is mainly VC titles n NGC games) is not upscaled (are not stretched ta fit tha playa resolizzles but is simply output in tha lowa res. 576i version (at least in tha case of PAL) whiznich tha box does not understand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1